Application RemoteToolkit - Restarts + crash detection + auto saves + remote console!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by drdanick, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

drdanick

Minecraft RemoteToolkit
    -Less downtime, more fun for your players, more power to you!

Are you a Minecraft server administrator? Do you value up-time and stability? Do you fancy the ability to remotely control your server, both in-game and out of game, in a myriad of useful ways from a plethora of different devices?
    If you answered yes to any of the above, then the Minecraft RemoteToolkit is for you!

What the Minecraft RemoteToolkit Plugin and Wrapper do for you:
    • Provides almost perfect server uptime with no need for action from an owner/administrator!
    • Have your server save and restart at any time period with configurable restart warnings!
    • The Toolkit guarantees a restart within the set restart period, even if your server crashes, becomes unresponsive, or encounters a "SEVERE" exception!
    • Remotely control every function of the Toolkit, even from your smart phone!
    • Full remote console access via telnet with support for multiple terminal types!
    • Telnet daemon conforms to current Telnet related RFCs!
    • Customizable alert messages!
    • Fully extendable though 3rd party modules!
    • Full feature set works with most craftbukkit builds!
    • Most features work with any Minecraft server variation, even vanilla!
    • Telnet can be disabled!
    For server administrators
    Download - Release 10, Alpha 15.3 [CB 1.7.2-R0.2] (wget friendly)
    Instructions & Documentation

For developers
    UDP API REV 8 | Documentation
    Module API | Coming soon!

For everyone
    Official IRC channel
    #remotetoolkit @ irc.esper.net

"Help! I've downloaded it, but I do not know how to get it working!"
    Stop! Before you give up or ask for help, make sure you have read the step-by-step installation instructions on the wiki page. If you are still having problems, please do not be hesitant to post a request for help on this thread or in the IRC channel - no matter how simple your problem seems.

Todo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any donation would be very much appreciated. I'm but a poor University student, and I sacrifice quite a lot of unpaid time to keep the Toolkit updates and support flowing.

Thank you to the following who have chosen to support the Toolkit through a donation:
    Deren909, marshall007, Vittek, clanslots, meee, KyneSilverhide, szoller, hungoverfurball, Lama_0, Viet, acc1dent, joby890, Liger_XT5

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Offline

drdanick

It won't be a config problem.
    Do you have access to the servers console on the machine running it, and does it print output correctly?

3. Offline

veN1337

yeah it does
    but it doesnt print it to the remote console :(

4. Offline

Peacem4k3r

Well, Linux + SSH already does the job this plugin does..

But nothing against your plugin , great work ;D

5. Offline

oliverw92

drdanick, the issues veN1337 is describing are the same ones i talked about a week or two ago - i still get this issue too.

Feature request - 'stop' and 'start' commands. I.e. you can stop the server (leaving the wrapper running obviously), edit some files via FTP, then start the server again.

6. Offline

drdanick

That means there is a little hope that I can get it working. I'll need to put a debug build together so I can see what's going on. I'll PM you with more details when I have that done.
    Oh, by the way, what OS are you using and can you give me the output of the command java -version

It does other things apart from the Telnet console :p

Yes, I am aware. I'll forward those debugging builds to you. I am very interested in getting this sorted.

Also, the commands you described are already implemented as .hold and .start ;)

7. Offline

dslip

Author,

Please support the auto-updating plugin CraftBukkitUpToDate. To do so please provide a permanent direct link to the author of CraftBukkitUpToDate.

The below is information they provide
    Show Spoiler

My Plugin didn't supported, how i get it to work with CButD?
    Give me a permanent link to your Plugin, i will add it. That's all no changes at your SourceCode or something else, all I need is a permanent link to the newest version of your Plugin. A good place for this is http://www.dropbox.com/ or for OpenSource https://github.com/.

I really enjoy using your plugin and would like to see it work well with the above listed 'updater' plugin.

8. Offline

veN1337

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre6\bin\java.exe" -version
    prints:
    java version "1.6.0_23"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_23-b05)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

9. Offline

drdanick

The wrapper/plugin cannot be supported by any "updater" plugins that work from within bukkit. This is due to the fact that the main component of the Toolkit suite works externally to the server process and cannot be updated without stopping the server first. The reason that the plugin component cannot be supported by that updater is that updates to the plugin are very likely to be dependent on new wrapper features. If it's updated without updating the wrapper, it may well break things.

I have been looking into a wrapper controlled update system, but it is likely to be very limited.
    I really would like to be able to support self updates, but it just is not possible at this time.

Thanks. I'll get that debug build out soon.

10. Offline

Joshpho

Would I replace "user" and "pass" with my Wireless router's info, or my Minecraft account?

11. Offline

drdanick

user and pass can be anything you want. But for security reasons, I recommend you use something unique.

12. Offline

Joshpho

Okay, thanks for your help. Does the Wrapper provide a general GUI as well, showing server chat, members online, and so on?

13. Offline

Sooks

I started my server by using this command "java -jar Minecraft_RKit.jar user:pass" User and pass are obviously different but I was wondering since i usually start it with "java -Xmx2048M -Xmx2048M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar nogui" should I change the Xmx30M -Xms30M (the 30) to 2048 in my .bat file?

Code:
    @echo off
    java -Xmx30M -Xms30M -XX:MaxPermSize=40M -jar Minecraft_RKit.jar user:pass

14. Offline

drdanick

No, you should not. I've seen a little confusion about this before, so i'll try to explain it:

You have to remember that the Wrapper is a java process that launches another java process (the server). Both java processes are completely isolated, at least when it comes to memory allocation. This means that what ever memory you allocate to the wrapper is only allocated to the wrapper, not to the server it launches.

Now, when the wrapper actually gets around to launching the server, it creates an entirely new java process with its own memory allocations. These allocations are defined in wrapper.properties.

Now, there is nothing stopping you from launching the wrapper with more memory, but it would be a pretty big waste of resources. The wrapper requires very little to run (30MB is quite generous), so nothing would be gained by allocating more memory. You'd only end up with less memory to allocate to the actual minecraft server, which you know requires a lot.

I hope that clears it up for everyone.
    [MERGETIME="1299795708"][/MERGETIME]
    No, but there are a few good web interfaces that integrate both the server control features of the Toolkit, and in-game control (manipulation of player inventories, etc).
    I suggest you have a look at these two:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/we...5-backups-starting-and-stopping-270-403.4117/

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/web-admn-webukkit-v0-beta7.4141/

15. @server-saveall-period value in Time?

16. Offline

drdanick

Do you want to be able to set an exact time for save-all events? I did not add that as I cannot see the need for it. save-all events should be periodical, it just makes sense. Can you give me an example where setting an exact time would be more useful?

17. Offline

Ultra695

I'm finding that .stopwrapper (console command) isn't working.

CB build:522
    Rtoolkit: R10 a8.2

I can still stop my server by logging into it and using /stop. Not a huge deal, but its annoying.

18. Offline

drdanick

What operating system are you using? Does .help or any of the other wrapper commands work?

19. no, i dont know what i have to write in it.
    What is the meaning of period?

20. Offline

drdanick

Ah, I misunderstood what you wanted.

I see that I did not specify the format for that property in the first post (will correct that now).
    It should be in the same format as server-restart-delay.
    That is, server-saveall-period is a String in the format #h #m #s, where h = hours, m = minutes and s = seconds. For example, setting it to 1h 30m would have the server perform a save-all every 1hour, 30 minutes. Notice that it is okay to leave the seconds out. On that note, setting it to 1h is also valid. (both the minutes and seconds values were omitted in the last example)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Period_(physics)

21. Thank you.

Your plugin is awesome!

22. Offline

Olaf

hi, I love your plugin, its keeping my server running for quite a while now. Would it be possible to add a feature to have custom command run at the time the server auto-restarts?
    Thanks

23. Offline

drdanick

What command(s) were you wanting it to perform?

24. Offline

Nipper

Just noticed something. Using newest version with build 523. The auto save-all it spams the save complete 2 times now.

25. Offline

drdanick

Which wrapper version? 8.23 or 8.24?

EDIT: Ah, it's because bukkit prints "Save complete" to the console twice now. They should really fix that >.>
    Hang on, update coming out soon.

UPDATE: Done.

26. Offline

woodzy

can u make it so if a server crashes it detects it does a force cloes (ctrl-c) and autorestarts it right after the crash?
    i run liunx 64bit remote server

27. Offline

Matt L

I am looking for something similar. I run my server off a CentOS 64-bit LAMP server. I awoke this morning to my entire server frozen and refusing connections this morning. I performed a software reboot, and re-connected. The "screen" the shell was running was still active and the last error I saw was
    ">UDP Socket exception: java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
    Starting UDP listen server on port 25561"
    repeating over and over and over. So I had to ctrl+c this screen then I could restart the wrapper shell. Here is my .ini file in case your looking for anything that may have caused it.

Code:
    #Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Mon Mar 07 11:49:06 EST 2011
    minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit.jar
    severe-exception-detection-level=1
    server-saveall-period=1h
    maximum-heap-size=8000M
    import-properties=false
    server-restart-delay=12h
    restart-on-severe-exception=true
    server-arguments=nogui
    overridden-process-arguments=java -server -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar craftbukkit.jar
    server-restart-alerts=1h, 30m, 10m, 5m, 1m, 30s
    forced-restart-delay=1m 15s
    initial-heap-size=8000M
    extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal

28. Offline

drdanick

It already restarts on severe exceptions that are likely to have caused the server to crash/hang. At the moment, that's the closest possible I can get to proper crash detection. Most other methods i've looked at are not reliable. This includes a "heartbeat" server that the wrapper continuously pings.

I've mentioned this quite a bit before, that's not an error per se. It's what's printed when the UDP server periodically refreshes itself. You were seeing it printed over and over since no other output was being printed by your server (you said that it had frozen). I suggest lowering the restart period to about 6h. In my experience, 12h is a little much.

29. Offline

woodzy

30. Offline

Nolam

Followed all the instructions, installed correctly, yet it opens up for like a split second and just closes, saying what I'm assuming is "cannot find file".

31. Offline

drdanick

If a hang like that does occur, the wrapper will always forcibly restart the server within (by default) 5 minutes of when you set it to restart normally. In any case, most serious problems are preceeded by a certain [SEVERE] exception that will trigger a restart (remember to set restart-on-severe-exception to true in wrapper.properties). If you are finding that your server is crashing a lot, try lowering the restart period.

Using the .bat file? Add a new line with the word pause to the end of the file. Run it and tell me what the output is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.