Reduce commits in pull request

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by xZise, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

xZise

Hello, how I could reduce the commits at my pull request? They are mostly commits by the others (on the bukkit repository), that I merged into my fork.

Fabian

2. Offline

Obsidian

3. Offline

xZise

Hmmm, if I get it right, I make a branch (with git branch foobar) then switch to it (via git checkout foobar) and apply my changes. Then commit them to foobar and push (git push origin foobar) them into the git repository on github.

But when I now create a pull request all other changes are also listed :( Even if I try to create a pull request of master (which should be equal).

Maybe it is because I had to manually import the bukkit changes. Some days ago I reorganized my fork and moved my changes to a branch. Because of this, I forced the master branch to the status at the forking and then merging manually via cherry pick the new changes in.

Fabian

4. Offline

Obsidian

Here's what I do when I have a pull request (I've done so for the phar-util project, something totally different).
    Fork the original repo if I haven't done so, then create a new branch and swap to it. All changes are applied to this branch, tested, then it's pushed to github. After that, you should be able to just say that you want to create a new pull request using that branch, and all that will be put up to merge are the commits you added.

Oh, and add the main repo as upstream, that way you can keep your master up to date (for later pull requests). Just don't bother merging new upstream changes into your topic branch unless absolutely necessary.

Hope I'm understandable; if I'm not, apologies, it's late and I need to grab some sleep.

5. Offline

xZise

Hi,
    I have done my pull request like you describe. But even if I try to request a pull of my master branch brings up many commits. And I also fetched the main repo. This way I cherry-pick all changes and import them into my master branch. Via fork-queue (the internal tool of github) it doesn't listed any changes of the main repository (only newer changes).

Fabian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.