Redirecting IP Address : Port (no-ip)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by WALK2222, Jun 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

WALK2222

Is there a way to redirect the IP Address and the port? For example. Say I have an Ip Address of xxx.xxx.xxx.xx and a port of 5437. Would I be able to make No-Ip automatically redirect to xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:5437? Or could I actually do this by messing with server properties?

I moved to a hosting company a few days ago, and my old no-ip host name (metrocraft.no-ip.org) does not work anymore because the hosting company did not give me :25565. So now people have to connect to metrocraft.no-ip.org:newport for it to work... Is there any way I can get my old connection back?

2. Offline

Milkywayz

If your server was previously hosted on a linux box, you can easily setup some iptables routing to forward all incoming traffic to your new IP and port, I did this when I switched servers and maps to avoid downtime, while the ip didn't change for my users, the DNS was being stubborn so the routing fixed it perfectly.

EDIT: You can create an SRV record which would direct connection right to the correct ip and port. Not sure how it's done with no-ip, though.

Personally the way I would handle this is though Linode's DNS services or Amazons Route 53, have a domain (say like metro-craft.org) point it's name servers to your Linode or Route 53 and then you can create neat DNS records.

3. Offline

WALK2222

Hmm I actually hosted off of a physical server running Windows Server 2012 as an Operating System.. Is there anyway to pull this same situation off with my old setup?
    Here is my new hosting company btw

4. Offline

LaxWasHere

>get a domain. It will help you in the long run.

5. Offline

WALK2222

Thats not the problem, the problem is I still want to use metrocraft.no-ip.org. Without that I would have to manually tell every single member about the new address..

6. Offline

Bobcat00

I think you need to ask the folks at no-ip if you could redirect metrocraft.no-ip.org port 25565 to xxx.xxx.xxx.xx port 5437.

You could probably do it with a DNS SRV record.

7. Offline

WALK2222

Where do you think I should start if I were going to do that?

8. Offline

Bobcat00

It would have to be in the DNS records for metrocraft.no-ip.org
    So, again, you need to be asking the no-ip.org people.

9. Offline

WALK2222

Hmm.. Alright, thanks for your help. I'll do some searching around

I've figured out that No-Ip supports advanced records. I have heard a TON about SRV records, and I believe I might be on the right track.. I just do not know where to go from here.
    Does this look like the right place at all?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
  10. Offline

Bobcat00

OK, cool. The full service name you want is _minecraft._tcp.metrocraft.no-ip.org
    So based on that web form, I'd say you want
    Service: minecraft
    Protocol: TCP
    Target: xxx.xxx.xxx.xx (or a domain name if you have one)
    Port: 5437

And here's how it works with the Minecraft client: For each address, Minecraft performs a DNS SRV lookup; If it succeeds, it extracts the target address and port. Then Minecraft performs a DNS A lookup of the server address (using the one from the SRV record or, if that failed, the original address). It then uses the resulting IP address and port to perform the server list ping.

Let us know if this works.

You can check it by using (on Windows) nslookup -type=SRV _minecraft._tcp.metrocraft.no-ip.org

I see there's already a record there pointing to no-ip.org, so I'm a bit confused. Did you already have something to redirect your port from 25565 to 25614?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.