Recovering From A User Induced Error

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by JonGluck, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

JonGluck

I have been successfully running a craftbukkit server for the past few days. (The version is the latest one as of the time of this post.) Everything was working great...that is until one of my players used world edit and converted a huge area into torches. Needless to say, the server crashed. corrupted some chunks. and much manual editing was needed to get things in running order again (and to remove the torches). The problem is, the time in the server seems to be looping through the same three seconds and none of the mobs will move. there is horrendous lag as well. None of this had occurred before the crash.

Any suggestions. I would be happy to provide any information you might like.

2. Offline

TnT

Don't make me do the work. You could have just listed the build number as it's shown here when you downloaded it last.

As I see it, you have two options to fix your corrupted world:

A) Restore from those backups you've been doing. You are running backups, right? RIGHT? *facepalm*
    B) Start a new world.

Or maybe you can post in the world edit thread and see if they have a better idea.

3. Offline

JonGluck

TnT, thank you for your advice. It seemed a little overly aggressive though. I dont think my first post was too demanding, I was honestly looking for some constructive advice.I apologize for not listing the version number explicity. Would I have received less bile had I not mentioned it at all?

Anyway, I'll just wipe the server and start from scratch.

4. Offline

TnT

Didn't mean to spew bile, but latest version means nothing. My motto when asking for help - try not to make the person offering help do any more than needed to help you out. The backup question wasn't meant to be mean. It is of utmost importance to run backups. There have been multiple builds of CraftBukkit that have corrupted worlds (not to mention stupid user problems), so you're really playing with fire if you do not backup your world. I'm guessing you will be running regular backups after this, right?

My advice still rings true though. I'd suggest posting on the world edit forums. Maybe someone else has gone through the trouble of fixing problems like that before? I've never used world edit, but it may be possible to completely overwrite the chunk in question and all other chunks around it - kind of like re-generating the world.

5. Offline

JonGluck

Thanks TNT. I'm sorry I snapped at you. Hadn't eaten all day. Anyway, I think that starting a new server might be for the best. We hadn't yet built anything too spectacular. Do you have any good advice for backing up the world (perhaps a good plugin/program to run in the background?)

6. Offline

TnT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.