Questions about permissions and ops.txt overriding

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Naphtaline, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Naphtaline

Hello !

I just have a question about permissions because I have a little problem and I didn't find a solution yet.

With the vanilla ops.txt systems, I was able to interact with blocks at the spawn zone. Now, with permissions (with '*') I cannot do it anymore.

Do someone have a solution about this ?

Also, is there any wiki page or something about permissions because I didn't find any on the plugin page ?

Thanks.

Naphtaline.

(sorry for my poor english as I am french)

2. Offline

c0mp

Welcome to the forum! Now, I might be spreading lies here, but I believe the spawn-protection is a feature of CraftBukkit. As such, it has no permission nodes (to my knowledge) that can be passed to the Permissions plugin to allow members of a particular group to be able to edit /spawn. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, spawn-editing will have to be governed by your ops.txt file for the moment, until permissions are more baked into CraftBukkit. I'm sure there will be a way to allow this through permissions by then. If there isn't a way already that I'm just not aware of. :p

As far as a wiki for Permissions, the wiki page seems to be empty at the time of this post. The best information is probably obtained by looking at the configuration file itself and reading through the plugin's thread.

And your English is fine, I honestly wouldn't have even noticed it wasn't your first language if you hadn't said anything.[​IMG]

3. Offline

Naphtaline

Hey, thanks for your so fast response and your greetings about my english (765 TOEIC !! yatta). I really love Minecraft sandbox and theses plugins are awesome. I am going to try to add my player name to "ops.txt" but I have seen somewhere that permissions override the ops.txt so that file is not read if the plugin is loaded.

I am going to try it and come back after.
    --- merged: Feb 8, 2011 9:56 AM ---
    Adding my player name to ops.txt works and let me break or place blocks in spawn zone. I'll let like that until another solution is possible. So I'll juste have to tell to my friends (who are not in ops.txt) that the spawn zone is secured by the server.

Thanks for support.
    --- merged: Feb 8, 2011 8:56 PM ---
    Another question about permissions (there are plenty of permissions topics, so I don't want to make a new one).

My group "Default" is like that :

Code:
    Default:
            default: true
            info:
                prefix:
                suffix:
                build: false
            inheritance:
            permissions:
                - 'general.spawn'
    My question is : When a new player, who is not mentionned in the config.yml of permissions arrive on my server, he can build and break blocks like any others... How can I remove this ? (I thought it was the line "build:" but apparently not).

Thanks.
    --- merged: Feb 9, 2011 10:17 AM ---
    No one have a solution with this ?

4. Offline

neromir

The Permissions plugin doesn't actually control permissions in CraftBukkit per se-- let me clarify: All it does is allow plugins to check if you've put a particular permission in either the group that a person belongs to, or on that particular person.

For instance, Spawn protection is a feature of the vanilla Minecraft server (we recently started using bukkit, were vanilla before, and we had spawn protection before that point). As such, only people listed in ops.txt are able to change the Spawn chunk.

Since Bukkit itself doesn't pay any attention to the Permissions settings , you need to use a another plugin in addition to Bukkit and Permissions, which does pay attention to those things and also prevents people from building if they don't have permissions. The General plugin might do that (I'm not familiar with it), but you would need to have it installed for it to actually do anything.

That was probably really badly worded, but to summarize: You need another plugin that stops people from building and supports Permissions. Plain Bukkit won't do that for you.

5. Offline

Naphtaline

Okies, thanks a lot for this reply.

So, what "build: true/false" is for ?

6. Offline

Sorontar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.