Questions about Bukkit 1.8

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by Robertcody16, Dec 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Robertcody16

I've been watching on and off for the past couple months now, and since the Sell out of Mojang to Microsoft, the only thing I've seen pertaining to Bukkit 1.8 was a post made by Dinnerbone himself.

Aside from that, nothing. (Granted I could have missed something no one's perfect. lol)

I just wanted to ask if it's development has begun, and if we who use Bukkit as our primary server basis will finally get upgrade from 1.7.x versions.

Hope the hear back some good news, and hope everyone had a Grand Winter Holiday!
    -RC

2. @Robertcody16
    Nope, no development on the official project. However, Spigot has released a craftbukkit build for version 1.8.

3. Offline

Freack100

@Robertcody16
    Yep, there is no "official" release (as in: the craftbukkit/bukkit devs have released it) but spigot got a build of 1.8. but the download is a bit different. you would have to run a java file (which, for example, deobfuscates the mc server, applys the bukkit and spigot source, recompiles etc.) and then you got a full build.

4. Offline

Toxic__Waste

the spigot set up gives you a spigot, bukkit and craftbukkit jar file

5. Offline

ChipDev

Really?

6. Offline

Toxic__Waste

7. @Toxic__Waste Yes it gives you the unofficial Cb and Bukkit jars.

1.8 posts!

8. Offline

Bobcat00

There will never be a CraftBukkit 1.8 from the bukkit.org folks or from Mojang/Microsoft. However, thanks to the benefits of open source, the Spigot folks have picked up the project and created a CraftBukkit 1.8. You have to build it yourself by following these instructions:

http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/bukkit-craftbukkit-spigot-1-8.36598/

It's pretty easy. After you follow the process, you'll have a CraftBukkit 1.8 jar, plus Bukkit and Spigot (neither of which you have to use).

9. Offline

Robertcody16

Cool, thanks a bundle.

If I may ask though, Why has development stopped?
    I know many of the staff have resigned, but there are always those out there willing lend a hand i'm sure.

10. Offline

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

@Robertcody16 Have you missed the DMCA? The old team knew what they were doing. They were skilled.

11. Offline

Robertcody16

@timtower

Must have, But as many plugins as there are, and as many skilled java coders there are out there, someone surely could aid in further development after looking through what's already been constructed.

If I knew java code, I'd lend a hand myself. But sadly,I've no experience with java. I'm more of an HTML, C++, and Lua kind of person.

12. Offline

@Robertcody16 CraftBukkit development and plugin development are 2 very different things.

13. Offline

Robertcody16

@timtower

Both are still java as far as code goes, correct?

14. Offline

@Robertcody16 But that also says all there is to say about it.

15. Offline

Robertcody16

Code is code, one just needs the knowledge to apply it and an understanding of the basis for which they are applying it to. After that, in theory, it's rudimentary work for the most part.

16. Offline

@Robertcody16 Understanding what happens in craftbukkit takes weeks if not months.
    If you think that it is that easy: by my guest and try for yourself.

17. Offline

Bobcat00

And they have! (Everyone give a round of applause!) Just not here. See the spigot website

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2015
  18. Offline

mike8420

Are all craftbukkit downloads broken? i was trying to setup a craftbukkit minecraft server after not playing for over a year but all downloads are broken. I was also wondering the reason they are broken is that they are going to work with microsoft to integrate it from what i remember them doing directly with mojang back in the day

19. Offline

@mike8420 DMCA happened around 5 months ago. All jars are illegal.

20. Offline

mcferson

heeem... What ?
    And why .exe are not ? Why .py are not ? Why .dmz are not ?
    What is this stupidity ?
    One year without any new version of Bukkit.
    Is it dead or what ?
    Thanks Microsoft and the new team.
    Last bukkit version : 1.7.9, last mc version : 1.8.4............

21. Offline

Bobcat00

Just follow the instructions on the Spigot site and you'll be up and running with CraftBukkit 1.8.3 (or Spigot, your choice) in about 10 minutes.

22. It's not the extension really. Because Bukkit is made in Java, the format it comes in is .jar... if you convert that format to something else, it's still illegal. @timtower was just using "jar" for short really.

Yep!

Has nothing to do with them, unless "the new team" refers to Bukkit somehow: To make it clear, Bukkit has no developers and is dead.

23. Offline

DarkDriftFTW

I'm more HTML,JavaScript and CSS myself :p

24. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

I thought this thread was dead. Can we leave it that way, guys? Spigot has taken over and the newer versions of bukkit are unreliable and buggy in traditional spigot development fashion. Switched over my plugin testing server and it lagged to high hell when in 1.7 I had no lag at all.

25. Offline

Bobcat00

My CraftBukkit 1.8.3 server is running just fine. NOT buggy and NOT laggy.

Bammerbom likes this.
  26. Offline

Tecno_Wizard

@Bobcat00 strange. I've had nothing but problems.

27. Offline

Bobcat00

I suggest that you start looking at your plugins. Make sure they're all updated for 1.8. Remove as many as you can, then start adding them back one (or a few) at a time to see which one(s) is causing the problem.

Make a new thread and post your startup log. Post any errors, too.

Inscrutable likes this.
  28. Offline

David Chelling

no way, thanks for good news for me, my friend

29. Offline

eyamaz

Please don't necro old threads. Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.