question about performance

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by GizmoTheGreen, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How would I get the best performance for running a bukkit server?

some thoughts I'm having:
    RAM: right now I have 2gig, motherboard can handle 4gig
    Storage: HDD vs SSD, would I notice any improvements in using an SSD?

And ofcourse CPU, I have an Intel Core 2 duo E6600 now, motherboard can handle an C2D E6700, but they are hard to find nowadays. would the extra mhz be worth the effort?

2. Offline

nerdnosyd

OS: Whichever one you feel more comfortable using. You might get better performance out of a properly setup linux box as it won't have near as much overhead as Windows.

RAM: More ram you can dedicate to the process, the better. Everyone likes to give it at least 2 gigs so you'd might want to throw in a couple more gigs so you have plenty to spare.

Storage: Although SSDs are expensive, they are incredibly fast and in a game like Minecraft that has a lot of disk activity, often times peoples' bottlenecks are the hard drive and not ram or processor. If you can splurge on an SSD, get one and run the server off of it. I run my server off of a 64gig SSD and have a conventional 400 gig harddrive that my backups go to.

Hope this helps.

3. Offline

mindless728

i would get the 4GB of memory, but don't get the new cpu, 133MHz isn't worth the money, have you tried getting a good cpu cooler (like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+) and OC the hell out of it

4. Thanks nerdnosyd and mindless728 :)

I can't OC it, sadly, it's an OEM board, and the HTPC case doesn't allow for a killer cpu cooler either.
    I'd have to get the CPU used anyway, so money wise it'd be okay. (2.4 vs 2.66, per core, 533mhz gain, could be useful if watching a movie on it at the same time (the gpu should offload the cpu, but just incase)

I'll go for the RAM and the SSD in the meantime :)

if anyone else has something to say that would be appreciated too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.