Proposition - Using player.dat to save data

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Minnymin3, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Minnymin3

Not sure if this is the right place for this question but I've been messing around with some NBT stuff recently and was wondering what people think about using the player.dat files to store data such as player homes, money, etc. Loading a player.dat config is very simple and quick for the most part. Is there any reason that the player.dat shouldn't be used to store data such as crash bugs or other caveats?

2. Offline

1Rogue

If you mess it up then you break the player. ta-da. Also kind of breaks the idea of isolated management by a single plugin (being global state), so if you want to use the player.dat, and another plugin does, then you'll have more problems to deal with.

3. Offline

RawCode

you can create flatfile database for your plugin in no time.

there is absolutely no reason to use vanilla internal files.

4. Offline

Minecrell

What happens if you try loading the world in a vanilla server? Are they still loadable in single player or a vanilla server if you modify them?

5. Offline

Minnymin3

RawCode
    I know that obviously there are easier and better ways to do stuff but I'm just thinking of new and cool ways to do stuff
    Minecrell
    I know that Bukkit adds its own tag into the dat file that has things like the last time they played so I would assume that it would work fine on vanilla. Definitely gonna test it out though.
    1Rogue
    What exactly do you mean when you say that it breaks isolated management?

6. Offline

RawCode

as far as i know forum shoud provide valid and efficient solution to problem, not new and cool ways to shot your own leg.

7. Offline

1Rogue

Each plugin is contained to it's own individual data folder. By manipulating the game's own files you are breaking that isolation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.