prevent water overwriting by placing a block over

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by atesin, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

atesin

i am witing a plugin with water .. i want to prevent water to be overwritten by placing a block over it , but i cant figure out how to do it with simple methods

i know i can "register" water blocks in a set, list or map, but this way i have to go to check on every BlockPlaceEvent if the block belogs my structure .. i would like a way to do previous checks before go to search the array .. ideally something like

blockPlaceEvent(BlockPlaceEvents e)
    {
    Block previous = e.getPreviousBlock();
    if (previous.getMaterial() == Material.STATIONARY_WATER)
    myPlugin.testOverwrite(e.getBlock);
    }

2. Offline

Zombie_Striker

@atesin
    For 1.12, BlockPlaceEvent has both the 'current' (getBlockPlace)block and the previous block instance (getBlock).

3. Offline

MightyOne

4. Offline

atesin

doesnt seem to work .. i tried with this code

Code:
      public void onBlockPlace(BlockPlaceEvent e)
       {
         System.out.println("get block = "+e.getBlock());
         System.out.println("get block place = "+e.getBlockPlaced());
    ... placing a sign and a dirt block over a water block, and the result was this

Code:
    [10:51:45 INFO]: get block = CraftBlock{chunk=CraftChunk{x=-17z=16},x=-258,y=73,z=260,type=WALL_SIGN,data=3}
    [10:51:45 INFO]: get block place = CraftBlock{chunk=CraftChunk{x=-17z=16},x=-258,y=73,z=260,type=WALL_SIGN,data=3}
    [12:11:58 INFO]: get block = CraftBlock{chunk=CraftChunk{x=-17z=16},x=-258,y=73,z=260,type=GRASS,data=0}
    [12:11:58 INFO]: get block place = CraftBlock{chunk=CraftChunk{x=-17z=16},x=-258,y=73,z=260,type=GRASS,data=0}
    >version
    [12:12:14 INFO]: This server is running CraftBukkit version git-Bukkit-22564a9 (MC: 1.12.2) (Implementing API version 1.12.2-R0.1-SNAPSHOT)
    i also tried with e.getBlock().getLocation().getBlock() but the result is the same ... also i tried the
    BlockCanBuildEvent .. seems to work but only with signs afaik

maybe some pseudocode like this should work... but until i dont know if could be more optimal, i find more complicated than my current solution

Code:
    myEvent (playerInteractEvent e)
    {
      if (e.getClickType() != ClickType.RIGHT_CLICK)
        return;

if (e.getPlayer.getInventory.getItemInMainHand == Material.AIR)
        return;

if (e.getBlock().getRelative(e.getBlockFace()).getType == Material.STATIONARY_WATER)
        myPlugin.checkWaterOverwrite(e.getBlock());
    }
    my current solution is below ... supposing that i register block locations in a set when i generate the structure ... what i dont like is that i must iterate the set on every single block placed in the server (method isPortalBlock(block)), and i think is not so good if the set grows enough

Code:
    myCheck(BlockPlaceEvent e)
       {
         if (plugin.isPortalBlock(e.getBlock()))
           e.setCancelled(true);
       }

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. Offline

MightyOne

This IS optimal. Except that you do the ovveride check with the wrong block in the end.

6. Offline

atesin

that check could be done next inside the called method checkWaterOverwrite(block)

so how to deny the player to "place" the block with this event? .. this is not BlockPlaceEvent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.