PlayerDeathEvent

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by HeadGam3z, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

HeadGam3z

I'm using a PlayerDeathEvent to determine if the killer is a player, and if so, send a message; which works sorta OK.

The problem is, however, when I hit the player, and a zombie hits the player and gets the kill, it still sends the killed a message that he died by me, which it shouldn't since it died by the zombie, right?

I checked if the killer is an instanceof Player, but it ignores that when I hit the player once, then a zombie gets the kill.

Is there anything I can do to work around this?

Code:java
    1. @EventHandler
    2. public void onPlayerDeath(PlayerDeathEvent e) {
    3. Player p = (Player) e.getEntity();
    4. if (e.getEntity().getKiller() instanceof Player) {
    5. p.sendMessage(ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes('&', Main.plugin.getConfig()
    6. .getString("Settings.DeathMessage")));
    7. }
    8. }

2. Offline

ZanderMan9

Move Player p = etc... inside of your if block. I don't think that's what's causing your issue, but there's no need to create that bit of data if you aren't going to use it.

3. Offline

HeadGam3z

ZanderMan9
    Doesn't matter, just a preference.

4. Offline

ZanderMan9

I suppose if you are going to add onto this, then yes. Maybe there is another method besides getKiller that you need to use? It might default to the player that attacked it...

5. Offline

unrealdesign

If you look at the javadocs, getKiller() returns player.

6. Offline

HeadGam3z

unrealdesign
    Yes, and if a zombie killed it, it should return null, right? But it's not, it's still returning as if a player killed the player, but the zombie killed the player.

7. Offline

unrealdesign

No? Think about it. If you made the code, you would set the killer to the last person that hit the player. Since getKiller() is not part of the event, it's part of a player instance. The only time the killer would be null is if a player never hit that player, or maybe if he reconnects after being hit, I'm not sure about that part. So to re-iterate: since it isn't part of the event and can't change every time a player gets hit, it just stays with the Player to hit that player. At least, this is how I'm interpreting the code without actually going through it.

bonecrusher238 likes this.
  8. Offline

3Shawnster

You could use the EntityDamageByEntityEvent.
    1. public void onEntityDamageByEntity(EntityDamageByEntityEvent e)
    2. {
    4. /** Doesn't do anything if either entities aren't players. **/
    5. if(!(e.getEntity() instanceof Player) && !(e.getDamager() instanceof Player))
    6. return;
    8. Player p = (Player) e.getEntity();
    9. Player damager = (Player) e.getDamager();
    11. /** getHealth() is ambigious, using Damageable fixes that. **/
    12. Damageable d = (Damageable) p;
    14. /** If the player dies, again note that this code only works if an entity (player) damaged the target. **/
    15. if(d.getHealth() - e.getDamage() <= 0)
    16. {
    17. p.sendMessage(ChatColor.translateAlternateColorCodes('&', Main.pl.getString("Settings.DeathMessage")));
    18. }
    20. }

9. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

3Shawnster
    To fix the ambigious health, you should be building against Bukkit; building against Craftbukkit is not endorsed and is not recommended.

10. Offline

bonecrusher238

unrealdesign Is correct it would find the player that last killed him

11. Offline

unrealdesign

Javadocs doesn't say and I've not tested it. Could bet last Player hit, or yes, last player killer.

12. Offline

Heirteir

HeadGam3z
    You can do
    1. e.getPlayer().getLastDamageCause().getEntity()

and that will give you a more accurate answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.