/ping ... "Pong!" ...errrm yeh this is a bit lame...

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Rexel, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Offline

Rexel

Please could someone make a small plugin that actually reports something more useful than "Pong!" like an actual ping time aswel?...

h31ix posted...

Did anyone ever make use of that code and make a plugin?

Would be very useful...

2. Offline

Sushi

I don't think this is possible since the server does not know when you sent the command from the client.

Pong! Is somewhat helpful because you can estimate lag by noticing how long it takes for Pong! to come back to you. However, it is affected by both network lag and server lag.

MuisYa likes this.
  3. Offline

chaseoes

Though in 1.3, according to the changelog, the chat will work smoothly even if the server is lagging.

4. Offline

CRAZYxMUNK3Y

Rexel

I could have a look into it... Although i don't think it would be possible

The way it would have to work is;
    User sends command > Server receives, takes time > sends "packet" to user and gets "packet" back > records time > sends user the delay time in ms.

5. Offline

Rexel

Would be pretty cool, to have at least some sort of time to go by instead of.. oh that 'pong' came back with little delay.. other players i've talked to find it just as useless... I mean its just dumb, on top of the already lame tab list that shows greenbars. You ahve to goto the minecraft server list and hover over the green bars just to see some sort of ping time.. I know its not accurate but its all relative.

.. and useful for players aswel to compare...

I thinking asking essentials to improve the command... but eh they hardly bother doing much.