PEX Not Working!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by TheChugBug, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

TheChugBug

Whenever I restart the server, the console says "permissions.yml is not valid YAML" although I've tried multiple different parsers and they all say it's good. This is my error: http://pastebin.com/1vLCxU6D (start reading from the bottom)

This is my permissions.yml: http://pastebin.com/1bmu9Hgn

Please help! My server is counting on it!

I really need this fixed badly!

Bump

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2016
  2. Offline

JaguarJo

Well I'm not really sure what the error is pointing to specifically, but I did clean up your permissions file just a little: http://pastebin.com/VfxhTuqc I took out the - in your co-owner group name and fixed the prefix lines that you had down in the users section. Some of them were indented under options sections instead of being even with them.

Just in case that doesn't cover the error, other things to check would be making sure that your version of PEX compliments your version of CraftBukkit. The latest PEX version only works with the 1.7.9 builds, so if you've got an earlier CraftBukkit, you may need to downgrade PEX by one version. That usually throws a different error if it's the problem though, so I don't think it is that one.

Also make sure that you're putting your permissions.yml in the PermissionsEx folder and not in the main Bukkit folder that has your ops file, ban list, etc. in it. Bukkit already has a default permissions.yml file that has nothing to do with PEX and if you put anything in it at all, unless you really understand what you're doing, it'll throw an error message.

If after checking all of that you still have an error message, then we're going to need to see your server's startup log to look for more clues.

3. Offline

LHammonds

The error log was only a partial so I couldn't get all the necessary information from it I needed.

I can see you are using CraftBukkit-1.7.2-R0.3 (right?) but what version of PermissionsEx is showing to be loaded/enabled in the log? Is it 1.21.4? If so, that is your problem. Any CB servers 1.7.5 or lower need to remain on PEX 1.21.3 or lower.

Make sure you have a line in your console log that shows the following:
    Code:
    [20:22:57] [Server thread/INFO]: Server permissions file permissions.yml is empty, ignoring it

That refers to <server folder>/permissions.yml and it is supposed to be empty.

I used your permission file on my CB 1.7.5 server running PEX 1.20.3 and it did not cause any errors which is stored in <server folder>/plugins/PermissionsEx/permissions.yml

But upon inspection of your groups, you have some logical problems going on with it which is not really related to this issue but is definitely an issue.

Lord inherits Knight which in turn inherits merchant, then townsman and finally peasant.

The staff groups do not inherit any groups. This means any staff member have to belong to two groups...one of the groups that inherit default and one of the staff groups. But the normal ranks AND the staff ranks both modify prefix. So if your primary group is "Lord" and your secondary group is "owner" then your only prefix by your name will be "[Lord]" and I suspect you want both to be visible...so modify the staff groups and change "prefix" to "suffix" and your staff will show both their rank and staff position.

The staff positions also don't do anything except the mod group. So if you want your admins/owners to be able to do moderator functions (which you might not) then be sure to set the other staff ranks to inherit the "mod" group to get those permissions.

LHammonds

4. Offline

TheChugBug

LHammonds JaguarJo Thank you. I was using a version of PEX that didn't work with my Craftbukkit. But I started using bPerms, and it will be a nightmare to convert again.

5. Offline

LHammonds

Well, that's your decision. PEX works. Can't say the same for bpermissions in regards to inheritance...which is why I converted to PEX (not because I didn't know what I was doing...I needed a perm plugin that worked the way I needed it to)

LHammonds

6. Hi, I am sorry for writing this at ur Thread but when i make a thread pp can see it? It says something about that i need to invite pp ?
    Can i just let all see the thread? HOW
    Sorry Again :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.