Permissions Ideas (1 of 3): Merging Permissions and the Bukkit System

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Flenix, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Offline

Flenix

Hey guys,
    This is a thread of one of my 3 ideas for permissions. I'm making 3 threads because the only thing the ideas have in common is that they're permissions related, and would in fact be in 3 different plugins anyway.

Basically, this is a simple idea. Right now we have two main permissions plugins: Permissions(the old one) and PermissionsBukkit (the new one)
    My problem is, You can't use them together. With both installed, the Bukkit version simply doesn't work. PermissionsBridge, from what I've heard, doesn't support groups that well and we use a LOT of mulitgrouping (every player has at least two groups, some have up to 6 - its because of a sensor plugin and the way our server works)

The solution: Instead of messing around with all these plugins, make a REAL cure - a plugin that works off the new Bukkit system, but can directly read the old Permissions files - no conversions, no hassle, no problems. It has Permissions 3.1.6 integrated, so it understands these files and can work with those plugins, but at the same time moves forwards with the new system and works with those plugins too.

Right now, we have a clash - something everyone always feared, because we're limited to a certain set of plugins and can't use others. I have a very complex server, and a lot of plugins haven't switched yet (and don't seem to be planning on it) so I can't make the jump either.

All comments good or bad welcome, as long as they're not just "The old system was s***" - that doesn't help anyone now does it.

2. Offline

Zarius

Have you checked out PermissionsEx? It's very simple to convert from permissions 2.x or 3 and once that's done you have only one permission config file that you need to work with and seems to work fine with groups on my server (80+ plugins).

3. Offline

Flenix

I've not looked into it - I assumed it'd be similar to the bridge for PermissionsBukkit and wouldn't support MultiGroup. I know I've seen some sort of downside somewhere that made me not look at it (just posted on a thread) but I shall go check it :)

4. Offline

codename_B

bPermissions also supports multigrouping @Flenix

5. Offline

Flenix

I've switched over to PermissionsEX now - Everything works fine compared to permissions 3.x (although chat names look different because of different prefixing, not a huge deal...)

Only thing I'm still stuck on, it seems it isn't playing nice with SuperPerms plugins? I only have one, but it isn't using permissions from what I can see...

6. Offline

Zeerix

PEX supports SuperPerms since version 1.8
    If it doesn't work for you, you have to be more specific. Best would be to post a bug report on PEX' thread.

7. Offline

Flenix

I tried that and didn't get a response =/ I'll give it until tomorrow and try again.