[Permissions] BukkitCompat - a static layer for when Bukkit is slowing you down

Discussion in 'Resources' started by codename_B, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

codename_B

In use as of bPermissions v2.9.16

I am to this date waiting for a 6 month old pull-request/bleeding-fork introducing new and faster ways of messing with permissions.

Needless to say, in the meantime I've been honing my understanding of how the jiggery pokery of SuperPerms actually works (behind the scenes) and to that end have made a single classfile you can include in your project (if you want a quick, dirty way to apply permissions en-masse).

As a comparison, to add 1000 permissions to a player via a single PermissionAttachment.

BukkitDefault - 3105ms
    bPermissions - 7ms

That makes this method over 400 times faster! It also means bPermissions is 400 times faster than PermissionsBukkit!

Also, here's the code.
    https://github.com/codename-B/bPerm...e/bananaco/bpermissions/imp/BukkitCompat.java

B3NW likes this.
  2. Offline

Milkywayz

Looks cool, hopefully 2.9.16 is safe to use because I'm gonna migrate from pex in a few :)

3. Offline

codename_B

I just released 2.9.17 using a non-reflection method.
    Let me know your experience with both, in both of my testing the non-reflection method is a little slower (but only by like 2-3ms) so it seems a fair tradeoff for not having the risk of breaking horribly.

4. Offline

Milkywayz

Maybe its just me, but /permissions import pex doesn't do much but say "importing from pex" ill try the 2.9.17 right now A Restart fixed everything. Looks to work fine, ill do a little more testing on my dev server before I put it on my production one :)

5. Offline

codename_B

/permissions import pex does a LOT. Trust me on this.
    If you paste your permissions.yml to pastebin, I can even import it for you (using that command).
    What were you expecting?
    You should check your world files, and see that they've copied all your groups/users/prefixes from PEX!

6. Offline

Milkywayz

It worked just fine, my only issue is finding some documentation on custom nodes :3

7. Offline

codename_B

custom_nodes.yml works in the same way as permissions.yml (and currently is broken as far as I know) along with permissions.yml, at least for some people.

Really it's just a permissions.yml with more sensible formatting ;)

8. Offline

Milkywayz

There should really be support for groups like Administrator to work with players whose group is administrator because the import lowercased all the users, now i need to try and find a new chat formatter...

9. Offline

codename_B

Well, the thing is what if you made two entries under admininstrator and Administrator

Originally it was caseSensitive but people whined too much, and I figured lowercasing it was the best shout.

Also bChatManager ;)

10. Offline

Milkywayz

I'll be able to cap the first letter of the group? I might just have to modify one of these chat plugins because capping the first letter is a few line change in most chat formatters....

11. Offline

codename_B

It sounds like a fun option to have, if you request it the dev himself will add it probably! ;)

12. Offline

Kainzo

I'd like to say that it took us 8 months to resolve the Herochat + bPerms issue because of BukkitPerms doing things poorly.

This plugin has blood and tears in it. Use it.

codename_B likes this.
  13. Offline

codename_B

Blood and tears as well as kitten skin.

Don't ask.

14. Offline

p000ison

hm the only thing I do not understand are those 2 lines: https://github.com/codename-B/bPerm...anaco/bpermissions/imp/BukkitCompat.java#L110

Why do you set a permission, with the players name?
    Not very sure about this :p

EDIT:
    is it because of those 2 lines? https://github.com/codename-B/bPerm...anaco/bpermissions/imp/BukkitCompat.java#L103

To have a unique key for this player?

EDIT: If this is true, it would allow sets of permissions for groups right? This would be awesome :p So simply set a key for a group and use it for many players :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.