online mode=false?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Anthony45654, Oct 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Anthony45654

My friend has a cracked version of Minecraft (trust me, I've tried persuading him into buying it lol) and he said that if you set "online mode=false" in the "server.properties", cracked version players will be able to join. I just want to know if there is some kind of a setback or something bad to doing this. Thanks.

2. Offline

klutch2013

no theres nothing bad, all it means is that the server won't authenticate username with the minecraft "premium user" database which basically means that non-premium people (or cracked) can connect.

3. Offline

1lann

Umm nothing bad?? Trust me, it's a terrible idea. It allows people to connect with ANY username. Thy could connect as you and do something really bad. On my temporary vanilla bukkit server, some guy logged in as my friend and started placing lava and griefing the shit out of my buildings. Then my other friend banned him and then he logged in as me. I was taking a shower when this happend and when I came back I got soo pissed. Luckily I could restore it with a backup with WorldEdit. You better be careful. I would reccomend you to get a authentication plugin like XAuth.

4. Offline

klutch2013

use a whitelist. or password and you can avoid this problem.

5. Offline

1lann

This was during the 1.8 update, Authentication didn't work and how would whitelisting work if the person logs in as me?

6. Offline

klutch2013

well how do they login as you lol? change your password?

7. Offline

1lann

*no verification* it doesn't verify your password in offline mode. You can log in as anyone.

Btw when I said Authentication I mean plugins like XAuth.

8. Offline

klutch2013

well i guess that is one issue with it but if your not running a public server its not that bad. just use a password or some kind of other Whitelist plugin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.