One Way Server Delay?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by cdkid, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

cdkid

Hi everyone,
    I work at a university in town, and we are setting up a minecraft server for students to play on. I decided to use Bukkit (as I've been running it for a while myself, absolutely love it). Everything is working fine except for one really strange issue. When I connect to the server from home, I get an odd one-way delay. Say, for example, I send a chat message. I can see on my SSH session with the server that it went through, and everyone else on the server sees it, though it takes me anywhere between five and thirty seconds to see it myself. It is the same if anyone else sends a message. Basically all of my actions have a delay in having any effect. One of my friends that lives on the opposite end of the country has no problems with it what-so-ever. I thought it might be an issue with my home network setup, so I connected directly to the modem but had the same issue. I have tried my laptop on the university network that the server is on and it works fine. Another friend of mine on the same ISP (Midcontinent Communications) as me is having the same issue. If ayone has any ideas about this, I'd be really appreciative. If I didn't give enough information let me know.

More Info:
    My Info:
    Java x64 1.6.0_24

Server Info:
    CentOS 32-bit
    [*@*]# uname -a && java-version
    Linux *.* 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 17:53:09 EST 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    java version "1.6.0_17"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.7.5) (rhel-1.16.b17.el5-i386)
    OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)
    Thanks!

CD

2. Offline

anon

Strange, I "sometimes" have the same issue. I talk, I can see my talk on the vnc screen, but message is only displayed to me 5-10 seconds later. Imediately I thought that my download speed was having lag spikes, so I closed minecraft, and unpaused a torrent, still got 500kbps, so, it wasnt download speed.

Still, it happens only sometimes, othertimes I log in, and this delay is lower, but it still happens, with only 1 or 2 seconds delay.
    Then I ask about other players, They say, no lag at all, runs fine, smooth, etc etc etc.

3. Offline

Binaryclock

This happens when there are too many players in one chunk from what I have noticed. I am trying to get some of the developers of bukkit to visit my server when it's happening so maybe they can look at it first-hand. Server is not lagging, network is fine.

4. Offline

cdkid

I don't think that's exactly the issue I'm having, Binaryclock. This happens to me even when I'm just alone on the server. It also happens on a vanilla minecraft server (non bukkit).

5. Offline

cdkid

I hate to bump but.. well.. bump
    new info:
    began happening to a few of the people whom it was not happening to, and got a bit less frequent for me.

6. Offline

cdkid

promise this is my last shameless bump. but I did find something kind of weird
    it happens a lot more often when I switch worlds, or if I load into one of our actual worlds instead of just one of the flat ones we have for testing.

7. Offline

Neon_Bible

I know nothing about vpn's, still that looks like something is making the packet take a Looooooooooooooong time reaching you via minecraft?

check firewalls ( you may have an exception to send but you forgot receive?)
    also, latest java version, reinstall minecraft, usual bla bla bla that you read most of the day :p

cheers

EDIT: oh and don't use jdk, use jre!
    i got a lot of server problems when using jdk, jre fixed a lot of them and laggy madness too!

EDIT 2: just read your first post :X sorry man, i'm out of ideas :C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.