On SOPA, PIPA - a threat to our freedoms

Discussion in 'Community News and Announcements' started by EvilSeph, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

[​IMG]

Today marks what could possibly be the largest protest across the internet to date. Many people have banded together to show their dislike and support against the SOPA and PIPA legislation and other bills like it.

I think I can speak for the team that we strongly disagree with such archaic limitations of our freedoms. So why aren't we protesting or blacking out bukkit.org?

Simple. We feel that we'd be preaching to the choir. Our community is filled with technically informed individuals who have probably already heard of the crisis a hundred times over. A small site like ours going black would achieve little other than causing an inconvenience for everyone. Larger sites like Google, Wikipedia and the like are already sending the message out there loud and clear and are the ones who can really make a difference.

While the current legislation mostly affects Americans, there are similar bills attempting to be passed in Europe and other areas of the world. As a result, while we feel that a blackout is not necessary, we urge everyone to read up on SOPA, PIPA and similar bills to educate themselves and do what is necessary to stop them from being passed.

For more information on SOPA and PIPA and why it is a threat to the internet and our freedoms, please see the following sites and/or watch the following videos:
    AmericanCensorship.org.
    Don't Censor The Net
    What does SOPA mean for us foreigners

2. Offline

3ric

On the bright side, if the gov't does decide to f*ck our internet, I can go outside and get a life.

TheMaa and Lolmewn like this.
  3. Offline

Imm0rt41

boi i already said that

COPYCAT!

4. Offline

nightdelsolexe7

In any case, I think the internet was released for the public to share information, not ban it :p

5. Offline

samp20

That means it's not over yet, we've got to stay focused, otherwise it could slip through when nobody's paying attention.

6. Offline

wolf3five9

its over now they droped it they are not voting on it at all so no one now has to be afraid about the sopa and the pipa

7. Offline

chubes1

I find something about SOPA quite funny. Most of the supporting companies are ones against piracy if i am correct. Tell me if im wrong but how can you pirate a Ford part or a Bose Stereo system, or even an Adidas shoe for example. All these companies sell items not digital downloads. And also there have been rumours that this hole thing means that they are gunna be scanning everones emails for links and websites like facebook and tumblr wont be able to have the whole post a video link thing because it will be against the piracy law so therefore you will be prosecuted. I dont know about anyone else but i think this is gunna cause alot more bad then it is good :p

thought id just put my view across :p

8. Offline

SonnyX

Great that SOPA and PIPA are gone but have you guys heard about ACTA, Just SOPA with a different name and a wider audience, for who doesn't know about it: Check it out on youtube/wikipedia w/e.

9. Offline

ragame60

F*ck I'm pissed - a PRO SOPA music video?!?!?! Anonymous should hack his channel.

I hate sarcastic assholes like the "I Love SOPA and PIPA" song - ( ). It pisses me off that someone is Pro SOPA and has to make a song about it!!!

This guy is probably gonna make a stupid ACTA song now.

10. Offline

Gaidoon

What about ACTA?

11. Offline

TnT

You mean the one that is worse than all the other's put together?

12. Offline

Gaidoon

13. Offline

Jacek

I heard, it was worse than all of the others put together THEN SQUARED !

14. Offline

sfxworks

What about NDAA tho?

15. Offline

Imm0rt41

what was the purpose of the impossible to read font.....?

16. Offline

billofbong

Just changed my pic in protest against PIPA.

17. Offline

sfxworks

It implied a voice from far far away that is barley hearable!

18. Offline

Imm0rt41

was very hard to tell. its better to add tfx (text effects, like sound effects), as in *whispers* or *shouts* or *angrily points*

19. Offline

sfxworks

It's like a FFA on these forums!

20. Offline

mindless728

because part of the SOPA bill was to stop foreign sites that sold fake versions of real products, hence people that make name brand items wanted the bill to go through, however, companies that were anti-piracy (RIAA MPAA) got on board because it would allow them to go after sites that have anything of their copyrighted software on it (nice loopholes).

21. Offline

TheMaa

SOPA, PIPA FTW!

22. Offline

dark_hunter

Did your mother drop you when you where little?

Kohle and Deleted user like this.
  23. Offline

sfxworks

What about NDAA tho?

(cause honestly the other one was just a distraction)

24. Offline

Deleted user

Are you okay?

25. Offline

notbob1

ACTA has passed. Nobody bring their iPods or Phones to the borders.

26. Offline

HunterT

Noooo >.<

27. Offline

TheRealEk

Whatever happened with this? What did we lose? :(

28. Offline

feildmaster

They shelved them, to have a new thing they're trying for... I think. While proving they don't need these to abuse their power already.

29. Offline

Zanzikahn

I hav
    I've been fighting against these stupid legislations alongside my fellow participaters since they were first discussed. I am Glad that you wish not to take part as I can put in enough work for the both of us. ;)

30. Offline

Dabiri

It won't pass, even if it does the people won't stand against it and sure enough the government will have riots on their hands. It's just something that will cause a big scene then blow over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.