On SOPA, PIPA - a threat to our freedoms

Discussion in 'Community News and Announcements' started by EvilSeph, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

[​IMG]

Today marks what could possibly be the largest protest across the internet to date. Many people have banded together to show their dislike and support against the SOPA and PIPA legislation and other bills like it.

I think I can speak for the team that we strongly disagree with such archaic limitations of our freedoms. So why aren't we protesting or blacking out bukkit.org?

Simple. We feel that we'd be preaching to the choir. Our community is filled with technically informed individuals who have probably already heard of the crisis a hundred times over. A small site like ours going black would achieve little other than causing an inconvenience for everyone. Larger sites like Google, Wikipedia and the like are already sending the message out there loud and clear and are the ones who can really make a difference.

While the current legislation mostly affects Americans, there are similar bills attempting to be passed in Europe and other areas of the world. As a result, while we feel that a blackout is not necessary, we urge everyone to read up on SOPA, PIPA and similar bills to educate themselves and do what is necessary to stop them from being passed.

For more information on SOPA and PIPA and why it is a threat to the internet and our freedoms, please see the following sites and/or watch the following videos:
    AmericanCensorship.org.
    Don't Censor The Net
    What does SOPA mean for us foreigners

2. Offline

tyzoid

Cool :)

NuclearW
    As a side note, your avatar upload limit seems to be malfunctioning. It refused a 6.2 KB image, while accepting a 164.6 KB image.

3. Offline

samp20

Could you possibly make the logo link to this discussion, or some site relating to the SOPA/PIPA issue. People are more likely to find out that way.

Zaros likes this.
  4. Offline

Goonpimp85

I'm not a very political person, but when I get involved, I'm glad to see that the people's voice still maters.

Blackwolf13 and Zaros like this.
  5. Offline

Zaros

1+ on this.

6. Offline

Darkone003

It's great to see people come together to oppose a greater evil, hopefully enough people actually listen to us and understand how wrong and evil SOPA / PIPA is, even better if the people supporting the bills finally get a clue.

Also it's pretty easy to get around any of the "blocked" websites, they weren't intended it cease functionality, but simply to inform people. Though I am glad Google and some other websites decided to go with the black banner approach or "click here to continue" instead.

Blackwolf13 likes this.
  7. Offline

ZeroZX4

muhhaahaahhhahhah PIPA wtf that even mean cause in my language its womens hmm thing between her leg hahahahha PIPA wtf ?????????

8. Offline

Gravity

What about all the roads they build?
    Should they not do that? Public services? International relations? Etc?
    Not to be a prick, and this isnt really a discussion thread, just sharing my 2 cents, but yeah a lot of people say that and if you think about it we would all be screwed without the government. Anywho.

It stands for Protect IP Act -> P.I.P.A

Blackwolf13 likes this.
  9. Offline

samp20

It's a shame minecraft.net went for a full shut-down of their website without any way of getting around it, I wanted to change my skin today :(
    I guess that's a true reminder of what might happen...

EDIT: The logo now links to this thread, thanks EvilSeph :D

10. Offline

EvilSeph

Done. I was planning to link it to americancensorship.org but it isn't exactly reachable right now.

Darkone003, Deleted user and samp20 like this.
  11. Offline

Deleted user

Good old Canada. <3

EvilSeph
    1 question.
    Can you make a feature where if you connect to bukkit.org from outside of the US, we can see the bukkit logo? It's annoying to see the awesome Bukkit logo blocked out because of something happening in another country...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  12. Offline

samp20

It affects all of us, even people outside of the US.

13. Offline

magoo1125

If these acts get passed, I'm moving to Canada.

Deleted user likes this.
  14. Offline

OrtwinS

Yea, here in the Netherlands the Brein foundation (industry puppet) just won a case versus 2 big ISPs, they now have to block the piratebay, and ANY other IP Brein 'suggests' to them, without interference of a court or something.

It wont hold, dont worry, but the fact some backward senile judge who doesn't understand the figures he's supposed to judge about can make this work...

The worst part of Censorship is *****************.

Inscrutable and Deleted user like this.
  15. Offline

Deleted user

Not as much though.

BTW, we don't live in igloos.
    Welcome to Canada.

I suggest you live in Vancouver :D. Peter Chao lives there!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  16. Offline

agafaba

Somewhat ya, but unfortunately this does effect us nearly as much as it does Americans.

@ Magoo1125
    and come to Toronto, its like Vancouver but with less rain :p

17. Offline

Knight Hawk3

That wont do anything, Sites will still be taken down albeit only US based ones

18. Offline

Deleted user

Not as much though. American's have no permission to censor things posted in Canada.
    Suck that SOPA.

19. Offline

Archelaus

You need to educate yourself more about what SOPA and P.I.P.A is, they'll affect you as much as they will every other user.

20. Offline

Deleted user

Yessir.
    Sorry about not searching up what SOPA and PIPA is, i'm from Canada, and I didn't think that it would really affect us much...

21. Offline

EvilSeph

See http://www.speakoutoncopyright.ca/

22. Offline

Deleted user

23. Offline

emericask8ur

Those are services the Gov Provide

24. Offline

Stone_Tigris

Yes it will affect us as much. How would you feel if you couldn't use YouTube, Facebook and Twitter?
    If you're out side the US go to this link: http://americancensorship.org/modal/state-dept-petition/index.html
    EvilSeph Can you put that link on the OP? I know you have a link to americancensorship.org already but just say go to this if you're non-US, I think if everyone outside the US did this, the US government might actually realise how many people this affects.

25. Offline

agafaba

They are trying a British student for an american censorship crime in america (it wasnt illegal in his home country where he lives)

And they didnt need SOPA/PIPA to do it as is.

26. Offline

emericask8ur

He answered that

27. Offline

Knight Hawk3

When say Facebook gets de-listed from US ISP's, Facebook will have just lost a HUGE amount of revenue they might keep going but they will probably end up having to shut down because they are getting no US based traffic

28. Offline

Deleted user

I just signed the petition with all 5 of my emails...
    I suppose...
    Is it overloaded or something?
    This.

Sidenote:
    The internet is feeling awfully sluggish today...

Blackwolf13 and samp20 like this.
  29. Offline

EvilSeph

I can't link to a website that barely loads...

Deleted user and emericask8ur like this.
  30. Offline

emericask8ur

Email the Senate. I did I got replies in less than 3-4 weeks

31. Offline

Deleted user

Replies that were from a bot or from a real person o.o.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.