Npc traders "null"?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Quizdonkey, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Quizdonkey

Hey all,
    Me and my buddy have a server and we recently get bukkit, we have been going a little crazy with modding and found the npctraders mod http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/econ-npctrader-v0-94-b313.4232/page-7#post-61187
    However everytime we try to make an npc, we just get the message "null" in red letters
    We have tried typing it differently, using different slots and amounts, different names, nothing changes.
    I would really like some help with this, as its a small server and gets kind of lonely, so an npc trading town would be great.
    If it isn't fixable, suggesting another up-to-date npc mod would be great! thanks!

tl;dnr: Whenever I try to make an npc in npctrader I get the message "null", help

2. Offline

TnT

Try posting on that forum, you'll likely get better help than we can offer.

3. Offline

Quizdonkey

You mean the npctrader thread? thanks

4. Offline

JohnTheRipper

Make sure you have MySQL installed and setup...

5. Offline

Quizdonkey

mysql? whats that?

6. Offline

JohnTheRipper

SHIT!

No seriously, that's your problem! Look it up... You need a MySQL DB for the plugin to work, otherwise it won't work.

What OS is it on? VPS, dedi, home comp?

7. Offline

TnT

Please, post your questions in the NPC traders thread. He wants you to use MySQL, he should be able to walk you through setting it up.

Personally, if the plugin requires MySQL, and has no support for SQLite, or flatfiles, I do not use them. No point adding all that MySQL overhead to my server.

8. Offline

JohnTheRipper

Nope, he stated that he's NOT helping anyone set it up...

I figured it out for myself, but it was not easy.

9. Offline

TnT

*Sigh*
    Why force people to use something, then not help them set it up? He doesn't support flatfiles or SQLite, so he leaves people no options, and then doesn't help them with the only option he's given?

10. Offline

Quizdonkey

I'm really not familiar with how plugins work, I apretiate the help people are offering, there seems to be alot of debate over this though, what are the pros and cons to mysql? and whats sqlite?

11. Offline

TnT

Sorry for the thread hijack. I think MySQL is overkill for most plugins - you really need to store a lot of data (or have a metric shit tonne of users) to make MySQL worth while to use. While I love it as an SQL server, its just simply too much. SQLite allows devs to use SQL statements to lookup and store the data, but the data is stored in flat files, not databases, and requires a much smaller system footprint.

12. Offline

Quizdonkey

So will MySQL lag my server? Like I said, I'm really unfamiliar with all this, my server only has about 4-5 people on it

13. Offline

JohnTheRipper

I do agree with that, but hey, he can't get SQLite to work so he's using MySQL for now, and I'm fine with that personally (though my server is a overpowered home computer, so I DO have extra RAM/CPU for it)...

14. Offline

TnT

All depends on your server, and if it can handle MySQL as well. Personally, I run my server with only what I need to run and administer CraftBukkit.
    I do too, but it still requires extra resources to run it. If he can't handle programming for SQLite, he could at least offer support for flat files. I just feel bad for people like the OP - lack of choices is not a good thing.

15. Offline

JohnTheRipper

I do agree that it's not needed, and can hog the server CPU/RAM, but I'm not the Dev, and he has said that he's working on SQLite. Apparently he can't get the plugin to work with SQLite, so for now only people with MySQL can use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.