NPC help

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by xYourFreindx, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For my plugin, I'd like to allow the feature of adding an NPC, that looks like the player, to the location of the player, who sends the command.
    I've looked in many areas of the bukkit foams and other forum topics and many just talk about adding villager NPCs. Or more complex things like movement and api...
    I just want to be able to make it look like the player, and stand there.
    Is there anyway to do this without downloading and implementing a completely different plugin or api reference? ​

2. Offline

Chlorek

Packets... that's the way to go.

3. Chlorek Sorry to be a bother, but I'm only just starting out, and I need to learn what those before I can hope to recognize what you mean when you say that.
    Would you mind further explaining them and how they are used?
    Perhaps an example.

4. "I'm only just starting out" That says to me, use a API like Citizens, Making a NPC System is really hard and can brake at anytime.
    If you still want to make your own try the Resources Section there's some nice Examples.

Garris0n likes this.
  5. Offline

NathanWolf

Garris0n likes this.
  6. NathanWolf UltimateExplorer
    -_- I catch on quickly.....
    And how in the world does anyone expect me to STOP being a noob, if I'm doing the same stuff over and over again?! I gotta expand and strengthen my abilities in order to grow. Don't tell me to make things easy on me. Push me! But support me in my struggles, that's all I ask.

NathanWolf likes this.
  7. Offline

NathanWolf

I'm just saying it's a lot of work, it wasn't meant to be an insult. I wouldn't do this, either - if I wanted Player NPCs, I'd use Citizens. :)

8. NathanWolf I have a app programming job upcoming, and in something I haven't learned how to make apps yet. I have an internship at Freescale Semiconductor (World leading in automotive) this summer. I want to program for the rest of my life, and I'm diving straight into everything and so far, it's proven effective. I love it.
    Of course, I couldn't have expected you to know that, and I appreciate the suggestion to use someone elses dirty work, but you know how they say "if you can't explain it in a way someone can't understand, than you don't really know it"? Well if I use someone else's api, I'd certainly be unable to explain how it works, and therefor, wouldn't have learned anything. And learning is my only goal here.

Anyone who actually learned something and didn't use someone else's code and api? Anyone?

9. Offline

Gater12

xYourFreindx
    Why reinvent the wheel? APIs are there to prevent you from doing a lot of work of what is already accomplished. You could take someone else's idea and build on that to make something better.

10. Offline

JasonDL13

Well, I personally don't think bragging and being rude will get you the help. They provided you resources.

If you learn how to use Packets get into using PacketPlayOutNamedEntitySpawn.

11. Gater12 I'm not re-inventing anything. But if someone is going to spend their time, say, building cars... They can't just go to school and learn how to but the body on. They gotta know how to put the tires together and change the ignition coil...
    The goal here is not to get the car built. The goal is to learn how it functions and be able to reproduce it if need be without relying on other people to do it for me cuz I don't know how. Of course, if the goal was simply to get the car out to someone, I'd ship in everything and get it done as fast and as easily as possible.

JasonDL13 I'd love to learn how to use packets! Do you have a suggestion for a place where I might find and gain the knowledge to use them? And I'm sorry if I came out as bragging. It's really nothing to brag about. I was simply trying to get my message across for how valuable the knowledge is to me and why I'm going to need it more than a link to an api.

12. Offline

Gater12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.