nick.dat % Nick.dat same player, two files :S

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Trollkemada, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Trollkemada

Edit: BTW topic should me "nick.dat & Nick.dat (...)", no way to change that? :-P

I just realized that the same player, can join with for example "Player" and then "player", this creates different .dat files, so different locations and inventory.

Well, i think that's a problem, because most plugins does not discriminate whatever case-spelling is being used, so you cannot control each nick :S

Do you think that is a bukkit issue, should be fixed? Should i report it to leaky.bukkit? :S

I mean, it could just convert string to lowercase before reading/writing, right?

Anyone know a plugins, or something to prevent this? :S

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  2. Offline

Supersam654

I am not exactly sure that this is an issue or anything. For starters, whenever I try to connect to a server with a different capitalization in my name (king_death or King_Death), I still have the same inventory. Even if there are 2 files "behind the scenes" on my player, the end user isn't actually affected by this.

As for your statement about multiple invenotries and locations, are you just speculating that this COULD happen or have you actually seen it happen?

I don't actually believe that this is an issue. I have connected to servers with different capitalizations in my name and never had dual inventories or locations. Because of this, I don't really think that this is an issue.

Yes, it SHOULD make everything lowercase, but it doesn't really affect anything. Also, when you started mentioning dual inventories and locations, are you just speculating that this COULD happen or have you actually seen it happen?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  3. Offline

Trollkemada

That is hapenning on my server. The servers you have connected, maybe use windows, the problem is in *nix

4. Offline

Supersam654

If you are actually having a problem with this, then maybe you should report this as a Bukkit bug. Saving all of the player.dat files as lowercase would also fix the bug with not being able to join because the last time you joined, you used a different capitalization (which has happened to me, but I forget the error which I think was "Invalid login").

5. Offline

Trollkemada

Yeah, im gonna report it. I would also like to know if other poeple have this issue :S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.