Solved Newbie around, got several questions.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by The Newfall, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

The Newfall

Hello, Bukkit commuity!

First, allow me to tell you that I'm a TOTAL newbie to Bukkit - I had difficulties even setting up a welcome message plugin to which I had only to edit a yml file, but it took me a while to figure out.

There are several questions I wish to ask you as I'm really interested in having a fun 'creative/survival' Minecraft server in which everyone can do whatever he wants in survival mode.. like a free-for-all server without really many restrictions.

Okay, here's the question list
    1. How can I get a GUI for the server? It opens in silent mode and every single time I add something new I have to stop the javaw process - or at least that's the only way I figured it out how to do. ( Yes, I'm running on a Windows 7 )
    2. H0w can I add restrictions on what to destroy or not? I want to add a simple area from where players can get the basic items, like Wood Pickaxe, Axe, Sword and Shovel. ( and also, any plugin suggestions for the 'starting items' area? )
    3. As I have no idea about the Bukkit API or how to develop stuff I would ask for a little guide on ACTUALLY configuring the plugins. I tried to mainly read the documentations and other tips like that but, at least for me, it's kinda hard to learn the ropes with this stuff.
    I know that I maybe should have used the search function, but I just wanted to not spam and wait for replies in many topics, so I decided to make my own.
    I also want to thank those who took and will take their time to read and help me and hopefully I'll be able to set up this little server and see some of you guys hangin' around there and breaking whatever each other's trying to build, hehe!
    Oh, and also - if you got any plugins suggestions that I should add or that would be a must for what I want to make I'd be more than happy to take and try them out!
    Thanks a bunch, again!

2. Offline

NanoSkill

For the players getting items, you can make shops with Iconomy and chestshop which a player uses ingame money to purchase items they want, you can make the items free if you so wish, you can find both links below.

Another option is the use of kits, a player types the command /kit and items that can be configured in essentials, you can have a delay on the amount of time between use or you can make it instant, another feature with this is giving extra kits specifically to donators.

(Iconomy) http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/iconomy/
    (ChestShop)http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/chestshop/
    (How to set up kits)

UTXcraft likes this.
  3. Offline

The Newfall

Thanks a bunch for the reply and the video! I will check them tomorrow as now I'm going to take a nap, it's pretty late here.
    I got another question.
    As for the GUI, is this tool good and worth to use? I battered my eye around and I managed to find "Bukkit Tools" category - I know.. should've battered it earlier.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ad...per-for-your-server-now-w-in-game-cmds.17834/

Thanks again!

4. Offline

UTXcraft

rguz10 likes this.
  5. Offline

rguz10

What's your startup script? I think you can disable the GUI in that. As for developing plugins you need to know java. I recommend watching like 30-40 of TheNewBoston's tuts. Then watching all the BC Broz stuff.

6. Offline

The Newfall

Startup script? I'm using the Bukkit 1.5.2 java version that can be found to download on the download page.

I'm not thinking to actually going into developing plugins since I'm not planning to have a BIG and one-of-the-best servers, I just want to have a little server where players can come and chill around from time to time.
    And about the GUI, I do want a GUI and I don't know which tool/script should I use, that's what I was asking in the first post.

Thanks for the Plugin! Hopefully it works with 1.5.2 bukkit version.
    Update;
    Ok, so I got the GriefPrevention plugin and tried to mess a little with it but I can't seem to figure out how to give access to new players. I tried connecting with a non-op user and tried to mess around a little with the commands but I can't seem to be able to build or get anything; whatever I break re-spawns again, so briefly, there's no area acess for the new player. How can I set-up so the new player has some area acess and 2-3 items to start with? I tried to read the documentation and I saw something about a chest placed on the zone that gives 100 blocks to the user who places it. Any tips on doing this?

P.S.: I'm extremely noob on this.. so I'm really sorry if I don't know a thing. :/

7. Offline

Bobcat00

Don't use javaw on your command line, use java

8. Offline

The Newfall

I'm not using javaw command, I'm simply running the "craftbukkit-1.5.2-R1.0.jar" file which opens up a javaw process.

9. Offline

Bobcat00

10. Offline

The Newfall

Haha, now I can finally see whether it's online or not! Thanks a bunch, Bobcat!
    Now I'd like to get some tips on that GriefProtector plugin.. I did ask some questions in an above post.. if someone would be pretty nice and help me out with it it'd be more than awesome.
    Thanks a bunch again!

11. Offline

Bobcat00

Sounds like you don't want any sort of grief protection.

12. Offline

The Newfall

Well it's not really actually planned to be there but I want to get the hanging of this plugin so I might aswell use that instead of a build-for-free server.. I can't decide yet whether for which type to go so that's why I'm also interested in learning on how to do the areas and stuff.

13. Offline

UTXcraft

The inability to build is probably from either essentials, or not having modifyworld permissions from whatever permission plugin you are using, that or you're trying too close to the spawn point. Move out a bit, then if it's not working, delete your essentials (if you have essentials) anti-build folder, or give your default rank modifyworld permissions (will vary per permissions plugin used)

Here are the griefprevention permissions to give to users as wanted
    /AbandonClaim Deletes the claim you're standing in.
    /ClaimExplosions Toggles if explosions are allowed in the claim.
    /Trust Gives another player permission to edit in your claim. /t
    /UnTrust Revokes any permissions granted to a player in your claim. /ut
    /AccessTrust Gives a player permission to use your buttons, levers, and beds. /at
    /ContainerTrust Gives a player permission to use your buttons, levers, beds, crafting gear, containers, and animals. /ct
    /TrustList Lists the permissions for the claim you're standing in.
    /SubdivideClaims Switches your shovel to subdivision mode, so you can subdivide your claims. /sc
    /BasicClaims Puts your shovel back in basic claims mode. /bc
    /PermissionTrust Grants a player permission to share his permission level with others. /pt
    /Untrust All Removes all permissions for all players in your claim.
    /AbandonAllClaims Deletes all of your claims.
    /BuyClaimBlocks Converts server money to claim blocks. /BuyClaim
    /SellClaimBlocks Converts claim blocks to server money. /SellClaim

Edit by Jade: Fixed the [ quote ] tag.

14. Offline

NanoSkill

For grief protection, I would suggest using core protect, its built to not lag on lag servers, some times it can be annoying to use but because you say you are not really using it, then It would be the best option.

15. Offline

rguz10

Eww CoreProtect. The most inefficient block logging plugin out there. Try LogBlock or Prism. Real block logging plugins.

16. Offline

NanoSkill

rguz10 I have used core protect on my server for 9 months now, its lightweight and is not a resource hog like the plugins you suggested, sure I could go with another one but there would be no point. Coreprotect works fine.

17. Offline

rguz10

There has been many threads testing the performance of block logging plugins. CoreProtect always comes out on the bottom. LogBlock on the top, and Prism was in beta at the time so it was not super amazing. But still, CoreProtect is for people who can't setup something as simple a MySql database or people who like using sub par plugins.

18. Offline

The Newfall

Haha, thanks for the replies guys but considering that it'll be a free-building server I think I won't add any griefprotection.. just the account login/registering plugin and if I can find something to enhance the fun on it, like classes and stuff like that.

Thanks for the replies though! I'll be searching through the plugins and hopefully manage to open a little server where players can come and chill once in a while..
    But, if you do have any plugins suggestions that I should add I'd be nicely asking you guys to tell me and I'll take a look over them!
    Thanks a lot again!

19. Offline

Bobcat00

After the first time someone builds a giant flaming penis, you'll be looking to install a logging/rollback plugin.

20. Offline

The Newfall

Oh well, considering I'm newbie around here I'm up to taking that risk, for at least the beginning. I'm not planning to make something awesome though, I just want a little server where me and my buddies could chill in and mess around when we feel like it so I thought of an opportunity to open a public one. Hopefully, I wish it would be a little success and then I will have to force myself to get more and more into Bukkit.

Hopefully I didn't waste your time guys. You were awesome and I respect and thank you for that!

21. Offline

Bobcat00

If it's just for you and your friends, I would suggest making it a whitelist server. Simply set:
    white-list=true
    in server.properties, then use the command /whitelist add <player> to add each player you want to allow on the server.

My daughter started a server for her friends. There are now 183 people on the white list!

22. Offline

The Newfall

Well this is awesome!
    I'm really excited about the idea but I'm really not sure how to start advertising or not.. I might wait for a few days to learn the ropes and get the hanging of it and then release it to the public.

I will be using the login/register plugin so whoever joins won't lose their items or get their nickname used by other people if they register with it. Hopefully I'll see some of you guys around there telling me how worse everything went out. Haha!
    Anyway, I must say that I didn't expect so much help, especially that I'm a newbie and I had some pretty obvious questions asked but you guys did great. This is awesome.

23. Offline

NanoSkill

rguz10 The reason I have not changed to s different log block is because I have had simply no problems, its not due to msql, or not understanding other plugins, it just that I have not encountered a problem with the plugin as of yet.

24. Offline

rguz10

Try switching to LogBlock. You will love it.

And to the OP, if you want any help installing stuff, or me to install it then teach you just send me a pm. The offer is always there.

25. Offline

The Newfall

Thanks for the service offered but I think that at least at installing plugins I might want to learn that myself, but be sure that now that I know you guys are up to helping me I will still stick around whenever I get some error popping up out of nowhere or when some plugin/feature beats me and I will also notify you through a PM.

Thanks for the great help guys, I'm really appreciating it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.