New command interface! Everything is broken!

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Dinnerbone, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Dinnerbone Bukkit Team Member

Ok, the last part isn't true. But it got your attention.

Commands are ugly creatures. With any given plugin, you either had an amazingly large onCommand or a custom coded command processing system to process the output of the built in command processing system. It just got crazy.

Fortunately, I've just finished coding a simple method which should eliminate the need for either of the above.

You can now directly access Command objects which have been preregistered for your plugin. They each have a CommandExecutor, which defaults to your plugin but you have the option to override it with a custom CommandExecutor you have created.

Short example:
    Code:
        public void onEnable() {
            getCommand("marco").setExecutor(new CommandExecutor() {
                public boolean onCommand(CommandSender sender, Command command, String label, String[] args) {
                    sender.sendMessage("Polo");
                    return true;
                }
            });
        }

plugin.yml (open)

commands:
    marco:
    description: The popular swimming game!
    usage: /<command>

Enjoy, and let me know any questions or comments you have :) Coming up soon, dynamic command registration!

2. Offline

Incendia

Oh god oh god we're all gonna d-

Oh, very nice

3. Offline

Updated with JavaPlugin.getCommand instead of getServer.getPluginCommand. JavaPlugin.getCommand is guaranteed to return a command which belongs to the given plugin, whereas the other is not (if there's two plugins which give /warp, the second to load would overwrite the firsts command - no longer happens with JavaPlugin.getCommand)

4. Offline

Gregory

Every second when i run my server it says, "[SEVERE] chunk fetched was not chunk requested"
    its so annoying, please help.....

5. Offline

6. Offline

ursa_arcadius

I don't even understand
    Where is the long example? [​IMG]

7. Offline

8. Offline

Plague

aliases: field is not even present in the example, had to guess how it's done ;)

9. Offline

Amagineer

This makes command handling so much better than nasty if trees!
    *hugs DinnerBone*

10. Offline

Dutchy

If I understand this correctly, for each command you register in the yml, the default (that is, no need to do it manually) is this?
    Code:
            getCommand("marco").setExecutor(this);

11. Offline

Essentially yes. That means your plugins onCommand method handles the command.

12. Offline

DjDCH

Dinnerbone, please, answer this question:
    I've lose the past 30 minutes to search, guess and try to figure how I'm supposedly fill this setting to put more than one aliases.

13. Offline

I didn't add aliases because they weren't relevant to the example. Command aliases are just a list, so whatever syntax on yml you prefer will work.
    Code:
    aliases: [marcopolo, echo, testalias]
    aliases:
     - marcopolo
     - echo
     - testalias

14. Offline

Plague

You really should put this somewhere because I see it as the et feature of onCommand yet. Users can edit those by themselves and go around plugin conflicts and such...

15. Offline

Colecf

Wait, how is this different from the previous system? True, it gets rid of pm.registerevent(), but there's still a huge onCommand() meathod. Is it only different because it gives you the command, player, and arguments straight up?

I have some other questions too.
    1. Can you be more specific for the onCommand() variables? I assume command is what comes immatley after the / and args is everything after seperated by spaces, but I'm not sure. I also don't know what label is.
    2. If I'm not going to make a seperate class file for my executer, does my onCommand() have to be inside onEnable()?

16. Offline

Dutchy

What does this do to builtin commands, such as /say ?
    If I wanted to monitor a call to /say, but still have the command execute normally, how would I do that? Is this possible?

edit: relevant for my ServerIRC plugin, it relays server stuff to IRC, and this is a planned feature.

17. Offline

clash

It is different because you can split up command handling code to separate classes, if desired. You can have everything done in the onCommand method as before. But this change allows commands with a lot of code and/or support methods to be split into separate classes (and source files) -- which I like.

Also, the "label" parameter is what the player entered. It might be one of the aliases, whereas command.getName() is the name of the command registered in the plugin.yml. I generally ignore the label parameter.

And no, if you're not making a separate class for your command handlers, you don't even need the CommandExecutor. Just continue to use the onCommand method as before. His example uses an anonymous class to illustrate how it could work. Only the simplest of commands would be implemented that way, IMO.

18. Offline

Mattie

Just want to say-- can't wait to see how you guys make this happen. It's pretty key for a number of reasons (especially for dynamic languages). I've been fighting with how to handle this since Bukkit started. With the death of the original command events, though, it's really a tough situation to try to fake it.

-Mattie

19. Offline

xZise

So actually this change will break nothing and only add a new amazing feature? Nice work. Okay at the moment I have only one command, but for some plugins like Essentials this should be perfect.

Fabian

20. Offline

nickguletskii

Err, does that mean that the old method is removed? If not, is it deprecated? If yes, how much time do we have to upgrade?

EDIT: Is @returns still a TODO?

21. Offline

Infernus

It did, but you got me frightened though [​IMG]

22. Offline

ceulemans

I'm getting a weird bug,
    Code:
    getCommand("armor").setExecutor(new InstantArmorPListener(this));

it gives under the message my plugins sends the messsage:
    /armor

EDIT: I failed with the plugin.yml :oops:
    -ceulemans

23. I'm coding a chat plugin that uses commands like :
    "/1 Im speaking"
    "/2 Im speaking elsewhere"
    And these numbers are dynamically generated for each player, so should I just register each commands when they are available (that should become really complicated for nothing) or use the "PLAYER_COMMAND_PREPROCESS" event for these ?

24. Offline

crohead13

This is a great way to structure the code. Thanks

25. Offline

GDorn

getCommand('foo') is always returning null, even if 'foo' is in plugin.yml. Is there a more complete tutorial on this?

26. Offline

would trying to get a command that is not in the .yml return a null exception? because that is the error i am getting

27. Offline

28. Offline

ok so my yml is this :
    Code:
    name: Snowball fight
    main: plugins.x1337x.bukkit.Snowballfight.Snowball
    version: 0.1
    author: (1337)
    description: Snowball fight!!!!
    commands :

s :
        description: Shows the snowball commands
        usage: /<command>

and im calling the s command with this :
    Code:
     public void onEnable() {
              getCommand("s").setExecutor(new Snowballcommand(this));
    }
    and the error :
    Code:
    16:43:04 [SEVERE] null loading Snowball fight v0.1 (Is it up to date?)
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at plugins.x1337x.bukkit.Snowballfight.Snowball.onEnable(Snowball.java:4
    5)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:118)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader
    .java:414)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManage
    r.java:187)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:83)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:61)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.e(MinecraftServer.java:204)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:191)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.d(MinecraftServer.java:131)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:246)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:366)
    16:43:04 [INFO] Done (0.246s)! For help, type "help" or "?"
    >

29. Offline

Your indentation is wrong.

Code:
    name: Snowball fight
    main: plugins.x1337x.bukkit.Snowballfight.Snowball
    version: 0.1
    author: (1337)
    description: Snowball fight!!!!
    commands: