Nether Ninja Star

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Fire_Feather, Dec 1, 2012.

?

Would you use this plugin?

1. Yes, I want to be a ninja!

88.9%
  2. No.

11.1%
  1. Offline

Fire_Feather

Category: Fun

Suggested Name: NinjaStar

What It Does: As of now, Nether Stars are a bit pointless except for making beacons. They are quite hard to obtain and once obtained, only have one use. So, I am suggesting someone make a plugin that gives the Nether Star more abilities! Here is the only idea I have thought of, so far:

Ninja Star - A player can throw a Nether Star, and it does a configurable amount of damage

More suggestions in the comments?

No Commands
    No Permissions

Thanks for reading!

2. Offline

Woobie

I was about to do this.. but looks like bukkit doesnt have the NETHER_STAR material yet.. or then I am using the wrong source?
    I have craftbukkit 1.4.5 beta.

3. It is in the current dev (and beta i suppose) build... You could also just use the item id if it wasn't.

4. Offline

Rprrr

Nether Stars would need really, really powerful powers then, because they're pretty hard to obtain..

5. Offline

Fire_Feather

Rprrr

Exactly! Do you have any ideas?

6. Offline

Rprrr

Fire_Feather
    Hmm, perhaps, it would be very hard to make and not exactly fitting, but you could try to make it act like a boomerang. I haven't really experimented with throwing item stacks, but I think this would be possible (somehow.. :p). It would be really cool to use it as a boomerang, I think, so I might try this.

7. Offline

Fire_Feather

Rprrr
    Great! Let me know how it goes!

8. Offline

CeramicTitan

I actually have done something like this before, so could I work with you? or could I do this?
    Please and Thanks you

9. Offline

Fire_Feather

CeramicTitan

Yes, feel free to do it! My Java knowledge is incredibly limited and I wouldn't be much help, so go ahead!
    If you need more suggestions for abilities or anything, I might be able to come up with something!

Thanks!

10. Offline

tetrisd

I voted no because it would have to be ridiculously OP in order to justify the cost of obtaining a nether star.

Perhaps dealing more damage toward such mobs as wither skeletons and less damage toward others -- now that would be better.

11. Offline

Hoolean

I was making a general ninja plugin and have already added ninja stars with spout, however I will edit my plugin so that it will use these stars instead. What a great idea!

12. Offline

Fire_Feather

tetrisd
    Great idea! Or how about, in addition to that, make mobs, especially Wither Skeletons, have a higher chance at dropping their mob head if killed by the Ninja Star.

MrBluebear3
    Thanks! What is your plugin called? When I originally had this idea, I thought I could think of more abilities for the Nether Star, such as a grappling hook, or in more crafting recipes, or as some kind of projectile. But, I kind of like just using it as a new weapon, especially if it does what tetrisd suggested!

13. Offline

Hoolean

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/ninja/

Going to add in the ninja stars in the next update; should they have a crafting recipe?

14. Offline

Fire_Feather

MrBluebear3
    Um... Depends on exactly what you are going to do with them. If they are really powerful, like we suggested above, I would say no. That way they would be more of a reward. If they are not very powerful, sure, but remember that would remove the need to kill the Wither, which, in my opinion, takes away from the gameplay.

Also, there are other factors that should be considered. Like, should it have a damage bar? If so, how many uses and can it be repaired?

EDIT: Is it even possible to add damage bars to items? If so, that gives me some ideas for other plugins!

15. Offline

Hoolean

It is possible for me to add in the config configurable:
    • Power
    • Whether they have a crafting recipe
    • Whether they are different to the one you get when you kill the wither (so you can't use them to craft a beacon and are a lot less valuable and the actual wither star remains
    • Whether they are reusable (durability is not possible with objects that shouldn't have it :()

16. Offline

Fire_Feather

Before I reply fully, is it possible to make it like an Eye of Ender, where it has so many allowed times of being thrown, then simply "explodes" in the air?

Ok, with that said, here is my suggestion:

~ Nether Stars are only obtainable from killing the Wither. They can then be used as a weapon, or to craft a Beacon. If used as a weapon, they kill Wither Skeletons in 1 hit, and work like a boomerang, returning to the player after being thrown. They also deal more damage to the Wither and give mobs a configurable higher percent of dropping a mob head. (This way might be to OP because the player then has unlimited uses of this powerful weapon). This is if CeramicTitan is still taking this up as an independent project.

~ MrBluebear3 So, for your plugin, I would suggest the star is craftable, because you probably want players to feel as though they have the ability to be a ninja. But it is different from the one used in the Beacon. Possibly utilize the renaming feature for this? Then it does a configurable amount of damage. (This still doesn't solve the problem of having an infinite use weapon...)

But you are the dev, so do as you wish. I'm happy to give my suggestions!

17. Offline

Hoolean

Not sure... if there is a way it would be REALLY, REALLY difficult...

For my plugin, it will add it to the description of the item, as names can be changed, so you could convert them to Nether Stars using an anvil :/

The infinite use can be solved my making it so that the star dissapears for good when it hits an entity.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  18. Offline

Fire_Feather

That is a good idea. I didn't realize that, in your plugin, they would be craftable so they wouldn't be as rare.

19. Offline

Fire_Feather

CeramicTitan

Are you still developing this as an independent plugin?

20. Offline

fredghostkyle1

hey, on some of the TeamFortres2 MC servers, when you thru something it will do what your asking but i can't remember what the plugins are caled. lolz

21. Offline

CeramicTitan

No sorry, i just have too much to do atm