Name to ID

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by RightLegRed, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Archelaus

I've just made a name to ID. So you can use things like "/give sand" instead of "/give 12". I'm not currently near a computer with an IDE on it. Could you please verify if this'll work? If so, feel free to use it. It's not advanced at all and only supports blocks at the moment.

Code:
        public enum blocks {
            stone, grass, dirt, cobblestone, wooden_plank, saplin, bedrock, water, stationary_water, lava, stationary_lava,
            sand, gravel, gold_ore, iron_ore, coal_ore, wood, leaves, sponge, glass, lapis_lazuli_block, dispenser, sandstone,
            note_block, wool, yellow_flower, red_rose, brown_mushroom, red_mushroom, gold_block, iron_block, double_stone_slab,
            stone_slab, brick, tnt, bookshelf, moss_stone, obsidian, torch, fire, monster_spawner, wooden_stairs, chest, redstone_wire,
            diamond_ore, diamond_block, workbench, crops, soil, furnace, burning_furance, sign_post, wooden_door, ladder, minecart_tracks,
            cobblestone_stairs, wall_sign, level, stone_pressure_plate, iron_door, wooden_pressure_plate, redstone_ore, glowing_redstone_ore,
            redstone_torch_off, redstone_torch_on, stone_button, snow, ice, snow_block, cactus, clay, sugar_cane, jukebox, fence, pumpkin,
            netherrack, soul_sand, glowstone, portal, jack_o_latern, cake_block;
        }
        public int nameToID(String name){
            Integer in = 0;
            for(blocks b : blocks.values()){
                in++;
                if(name == b.toString()) {
                    return in;
                }
            }
            return -1;
        }
    Basically, I've taken advantage of blocks being in order in terms of IDs.

2. some ids are skipped by the way i think so that might not work

3. Hi,
    If by Blocks you org.bukkit.Material then then try

public Material nameToID(String name){
    Material.getMaterial(name).getId();
    }

If you want to use your own class then try:
    public blocks nameToID(String name){
    blocks.valueOf(name);
    }
    it will not return the ID as a number but the blocks Object with it is.

4. Offline

Archelaus

This is basically it. But I just had the sudden realization that both need to have the _'s in them. So GOLDEN_AXE and stuff. I'll have to use this for now though, thanks! :)

5. on addition everithing is written in Capital Letters so maybe a name.toUpperCase() would also work wonders for the lazy :D (like me)

6. Offline

Archelaus

I did that just before you posted

7. Offline

Snowl

Is there any way to do this in reverse (etc id to Material)

8. Offline

Archelaus

Material.getMaterial(ID);

9. Offline

Snowl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.