more help with my plugin

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by sharkdude812, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

sharkdude812

hello guys i need help with my plugin i fixed my old problem but i got another help please

Code:
    public class MyClass extends JavaPlugin {

public void onEnable() {
          getLogger().info("working");
      }

public void onCommand(Command cmd) {
      if (cmd == "/test") {
          player.sendmessage("u did it!");
      }
    }

}
    but i get errors so why did i get wrong please help me i am a bigenner

2. Offline

ProtoTempus

Try to do some basic troubleshooting yourself. Log cmd.toString() and see what data you get and use that. Learning is about figuring out problems yourself. Also check out the crazy amount of tutorials on bukkit and youtube. Those will help.

3. Offline

sharkdude812

what

4. Offline

teej107

sharkdude812 You seriously need to improve your Java skills first, and then learn how to use the Bukkit API. Read the plugin tutorial from the Bukkit wiki. It shows you all the basics and it even suggests that you have a basic understanding of Java. From looking at your method of comparing strings, I say you need more knowledge of Java.

5. Offline

Gerov

sharkdude812 Since the 'cmd' variable is a Command object, you cannot compare it to a string, you need to make the Command object into a string before you can compare it to one.

6. Offline

ProtoTempus

sharkdude812 Honestly teej107 is right. If you dont even understand what I said you need to learn more about the language first. Start out with some Java basics video/tutorials.

7. Offline

sharkdude812

i try watching pogostick27 but he dont help

8. Offline

fireblast709

sharkdude812 Don't watch Bukkit tutorials. You should be learning Java, not Bukkit (and yes, they are two different things)

9. Offline

sharkdude812

i was watching java101

10. Offline

WesJD

sharkdude812

Almost every Bukkit tutorial episode 1/2 covers commands, just saying. Also, do what others said, lean Java first. If you lean it first, you can learn the BukkitAPI faster.

11. Offline

VG.Developments

sharkdude812 Few recommendations:
    1. Read the bukkit plugin wiki for creating plugins
    2. Watch tutorials (i.e. PogoStick29 Videos are a good example)
    3. Read books ( i.e. Java for dummies)

PogoStick29 likes this.
  12. Offline

teej107

Learning Java first is a big help seeing as the API can't do anything without Java and it's the language you are developing with.

VG.Developments likes this.
  13. Offline

fireblast709

No no no no no no no no no no no no no. No Bukkit tutorials on youtube unless you want to learn how not to program.

14. Offline

es359

Books all the way.
    [​IMG]

15. Offline

PogoStick29

Learning how not to program is good too ;)

VG.Developments and Totom3 like this.
  16. Offline

mythbusterma

PogoStick29

The point being that someone who is new to programming won't be able to tell the difference, and will think that static is how you access fields from another class (just one particular, very annoying example).

Or, to take examples from your videos, in the first two minutes:
    Not putting @Override on overidden methods, especially when you type them out yourself.
    Logging to the console that your plugin is enabled, not only by unnecessarily using the static reference to Logger, but logging that in the first place, as Bukkit already does it for you.

17. PogoStick29 Hello, I started to learn plugins of you. Well done and wow your on Bukkit forums.

18. Offline

fireblast709

Right... Rather than posting sarcastic comments you should change this in your videos. I continuously have to tell people not to do this, and to do that.

19. Offline

PogoStick29

Once I post a video, I can't really change it.

VG.Developments likes this.
  20. Offline

fireblast709

PogoStick29 you can record it again, you can delete videos, you can reupload videos, and I'm pretty sure you could change the order in a playlist you made.

21. Offline

d3v1n302418

As much as these bad habits can come from programming videos, you should already have good habits from knowing the language (which you MUST learn in order to know how to make a semi decent plugin without visiting these forums every 20 Minutes). Besides the fact that beginners would really benefit from viewing the code and listening to someone explain it, you've gotta understand that everyone learns in a different way. As long as the tutorial you are watching doesn't contain plugin breaking information, its absolutely FINE to watch tutorials such as PogoStick29.

22. Offline

mythbusterma

d3v1n302418

Well considering Pogo's videos are ripe with bad practice, I can't honestly say you're right. You're going to learn bad habits. Also, the whole "learning in a different way" argument is really old, go read fireblast709 's on why video tutorials are bad, at best.

23. Offline

d3v1n302418

mythbusterma I just can't see how learning from videos could be bad, its just like reading a book excpet the information is being said to you instead of you reading it. Pogos newer turorials are not filled with bad habits (there are a few). I learned from video tutorials and though I'm not the best or most advanced programmer, I don't use bad habits like ignoring Encapsulation and static modifiers for little hashmap and list in my main class.

24. Offline

es359

From some previous posts from Pogostick, I think he is pretty much done with Bukkit, I doubt he has any plans to update those vidoes.

d3v1n302418 likes this.
  25. Offline

fireblast709

I could be wrong, but wouldn't you be referring to AdamQpzm 's post?

AdamQpzm likes this.
  26. Offline

mythbusterma

AdamQpzm likes this.
  27. Offline

rbrick

es359 likes this.
  28. Offline

PogoStick29

Sup. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.