[MISC] CraftProxy 0.2.0 - Reduce bandwidth use by caching chunk data [1.6]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by Raphfrk, May 1, 2011.

1. Offline

Raphfrk

CraftProxy - Reduce bandwidth use by caching chunk data
    Version: 0.2.0

Description

This plugin and local client allows chunk data to be cached locally by players. This reduces the bandwidth required for hosting the server. It also helps users who are on slower connections.

I am not sure what the status of this system is. It doesn't count as a plugin, since it has 2 parts.

Even when running the plugin, players who don't use the client proxy can still connect. However, they will use the full bandwidth.

The system can reduce bandwidth by 70-90% (after the 2nd login).

Setup

Server

Add the plugin file to the plugins folder

Client

Start minecraft client and login
    Double click on the client jar file
    Enter login details
    Enter the server location/port in the GUI
    Press start on the GUI
    Connect to localhost on the minecraft client

Stable Builds

None yet

Dev Builds

Warning: These may not be stable

Client
    Plugin

Had it get the compress/decompression gain backwards.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
    Jushy, Martin1704, Nathan C and 24 others like this.
  2. Offline

Raphfrk

Ok, I didn't test that one. It actually says when you start it that it is broken :).

It seems like it does a different login sequence for local connections than for remote connections.

I have updated the client so that it should handle them properly.

3. Offline

merryxmaschaz

So does this plugin work, looking for something to help with idle and this sounds promising

4. Offline

Raphfrk

Well, the BukkitDev project was removed. I have asked why.

I think the problem is that the system requires a client-side proxy.

The latest dev builds are available, but not sure what the mod rules are for linking to them.

5. Offline

merryxmaschaz

thanks for all the help and will keep looking. :)

6. Offline

Raphfrk

Latest ones fix your issue?

I added the dev build links back into the OP.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  7. Offline

merryxmaschaz

Problems haven't been fixed, but going to rollback to an earlier bukkit build where I didn't have problems such as people getting kicked after five minutes when server isn't even using 25% of resources.

8. Offline

Raphfrk

Uh, is that due to the plugin, or that was pre-existing?

9. Offline

merryxmaschaz

Seems to be due to latest bukkit build, plugin having no problems :) thank you for checking.

10. Offline

ShadowDrakken

I can't seem to get the server plugin working on MCPC+ or Forge (Haven't tried straight Bukkit). On MCPC+ I tried it both in the plugins folder where the server recognizes it's there, but doesn't generate any config files, and in the mod folder where nothing seems to happen at all.

This is using the Jan 7 build of CraftProxy and MCPC+ version git-MCPC-Plus-jenkins-MCPC-Plus-164-250 (MC: 1.6.4) (Implementing API version 1.6.4-R2.1-SNAPSHOT)

I know MCPC+ and Forge aren't specifically supported, so if nothing can be done then cest la vi, but I'm keeping my hopes up here :)

11. Offline

Raphfrk

It should go in the plugins folder. It is a bukkit plugin.

It doesn't generate any config files. It just has 1 setting (activate cache). Does the server say that it has started etc?

I tested it with "mcpc-plus-1.6.4-R2.1-forge953-B181" a while back and it seemed to work for me.

12. Offline

ShadowDrakken

Yeah, the server shows
    2014-04-25 06:05:13 [INFO] [CraftProxyPlugin] Enabling CraftProxyPlugin v0.1
    2014-04-25 06:05:13 [INFO] [CraftProxyPlugin] Enabling CraftProxyPlugin (b6)

(interesting to note it says v0.1 even though I'm using the most recent download)

But it doesn't mention the port number (I assume it's still 20000?) or have any other messages printed in the log :\

Ok, got a bit further finally... now I'm getting "Forge login handshake error" on the client side, and "Forge special login packet detected" followed by "Login failed" on CraftProxy

I do have the server in offline mode, but tested it in online mode as well with identical results.

13. Offline

Raphfrk

The 2nd line reads the build from the build script.

No it works on the standard port. There is a handshake with the client-proxy.

If the server detects the client is present, then it switches to caching mode.

The client should report if that happens.

You have to set your username and password in the proxy. I can try again.

It seems to work for me.

Where can I download the same force jar file as you are using (and maybe client)?

14. Offline

ShadowDrakken

I used the Forge installer. And I did enter the login info into CraftProxy

I wonder if it's related to my account having been moved from a Minecraft user/pass to a Mojang email/pass login?

15. Offline

Jushy

Getting the same error and I have not moved my login to Email/password.Would really like to get this working since I have heavy bandwidth limitations. is there a way to bypass the error?
    Some useful information
    mcpc version: 1.6.4-R2.1-forge965-b251
    Running the FTB horizons pack
    Also receiving "forge handshake error"

Are there any crash logs I can send to help with figuring this out?

16. Offline

Raphfrk

I tried it with

client: forge-1.6.4-9.11.1.965-installer
    server: mcpc-plus-1.6.4-R2.1-forge965-B251

and the 2 files from OP.

It works for me.

My username is my email address.

Just before you connect to the server can you try to log back in with the proxy.

If you log in with the proxy and then start the client, the Mojang system thinks you are logged in with the client, so won't let the server log.

What OS are you using? I tested it on windows 7.

If you run the client from the command line, then you could see if it is throwing exceptions.

java -jar craftproxyclient.jar

If you are testing on a single machine (localhost), you have to make sure all the ports are setup correctly.

server:
    leave default (25565)

proxy:

Remote Server
    Name: localhost
    Port: 25565

Local Server
    Name: localhost
    Port: 12345

You should connect to localhost:12345 from the client.

17. Offline

ShadowDrakken

This is the only error being generated by CraftProxy client
    I launch MC client, load up and stop at the Multiplayer connect screen, then I launch CraftProxy and sign in.

It's happening on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, with firewall setup appropriately to allow the connection.

On the server side, a separate computer entirely, CraftProxy does appear in the server log during startup.

18. Offline

AVirusC

Any chance this will be updated for 1.7.10?

19. Offline

ShadowDrakken

I second that... unfortunately it still doesn't work with Cauldron/MCPC+ either though :(

It's a shame this isn't an open source project so it could get more love, there's no other caching proxy out there for Minecraft that I've been able to find, all the proxies focus on server clustering instead *sigh*