[MISC] CraftProxy 0.2.0 - Reduce bandwidth use by caching chunk data [1.6]

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Releases' started by Raphfrk, May 1, 2011.

1. Offline

Raphfrk

CraftProxy - Reduce bandwidth use by caching chunk data
    Version: 0.2.0

Description

This plugin and local client allows chunk data to be cached locally by players. This reduces the bandwidth required for hosting the server. It also helps users who are on slower connections.

I am not sure what the status of this system is. It doesn't count as a plugin, since it has 2 parts.

Even when running the plugin, players who don't use the client proxy can still connect. However, they will use the full bandwidth.

The system can reduce bandwidth by 70-90% (after the 2nd login).

Setup

Server

Add the plugin file to the plugins folder

Client

Start minecraft client and login
    Double click on the client jar file
    Enter login details
    Enter the server location/port in the GUI
    Press start on the GUI
    Connect to localhost on the minecraft client

Stable Builds

None yet

Dev Builds

Warning: These may not be stable

Client
    Plugin

Had it get the compress/decompression gain backwards.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
    Jushy, Martin1704, Nathan C and 24 others like this.
  2. Offline

lol768

I think it must do, such as asking the client whether it has certain abilities available.

3. Offline

Raphfrk

That would throw off the packet parser in Craft Proxy.

4. Offline

user_90720735

Raphfrk No the server is not in offline mode, that my eventual conclusion to why it wouldn't work, because of so many mods sending special packets. At least now I know for sure, thanks for the reply.

5. Offline

Raphfrk

I added caching to SpoutPlugin / Spoutcraft (a modified version of the client). If players are willing to use Spoutcraft than that would give caching at least until TyrOvC is ready. This is much easier since it doesn't need to support encryption.

6. Offline

TyrOvC

I lack free time and have several other projects that have priority. I can't make any promises on when I can get it fully functional.

Any developers willing to help out, see my fork on github.

7. Offline

Simanova

8. Offline

Raphfrk

Once a stream is encrypted, it looks like random data. Unfortunately, random data cannot be compressed.

9. Offline

Simanova

I think you are right, but ill try to find a workaround or way to do so.

10. Offline

Techtony96

Is this updated to Craft Bukkit 1.3.2? Also, can i use this to get players to teleport between servers without them having to install any mods or use that jar file?

Thanks

11. Offline

Raphfrk

It's not being updated. You could try BungeeCord, but don't think it is quite ready for release yet.

12. Offline

lol768

It's a closed beta at the moment. Works quite well but there are some bugs with projectiles.
    PM md_5 if you want to try it out.

13. Offline

tryytr12321

Can you update the plugin to the latest minecraft version? (1.4.2)

14. Offline

lol768

Please read the thread. It's also not a plugin

15. Offline

ShadowDrakken

Since this project is effectively discontinued, does anyone know of a replacement chunk caching proxy? BungeeCord a nice replacement for the server hopping, but I don't see that it has chunk caching at all. :\

16. Offline

JeremyZh

I forwarded 2000 port. I used the latest client and plugin (Same version). I am using the computer same as the server. The remote server is Relic.hopto.org:2000 and local server is localhost:25564. The remote server is connected to my computer using 25565 as my port. When i typed in localhost:25564 in MC, it show that it is outdated client. WHy?

17. Offline

lol768

What version of Minecraft are you using?

Are you using CraftProxy?

18. Offline

JeremyZh

yes, i am trying to use craftproxy.

19. Offline

lol768

Craftproxy does not support this version of Minecraft. Try BungeeCord

20. Offline

JeremyZh

so, it reduces bandwidth and less lag?

21. Offline

Raphfrk

Updated this to 1.6. It is coded so that each new version should be easier to add, so hopefully it can be maintained from version to version of the protocol/server.

This is a complete re-write. I stopped supporting the last version due to the encryption system that was introduced.

In order for this to work, the player must enter their username and password into the proxy that they run locally.

This allows the proxy to login on their behalf. Communications between the proxy and the local client are unencrypted. That doesn't matter since they are both run on the player's machine.

The communications between the proxy and the server (over the internet) are encrypted using the standard minecraft system.

This is the first build, so there are likely protocol errors. I used the same system as Orefuscator to capture the packets on the server, so I don't think the 2 plugins are likely to be compatible.

lol768 likes this.
  22. Offline

ShadowDrakken

Awesome, any chance of seeing a Forge version in the future for those of us that have moved on from Bukkit?

23. Offline

Raphfrk

Most of the complexity is in the local client. I haven't checked it, but it might work with MCPC+.

24. Offline

Raphfrk

The latest version supports Forge for 1.6.4. It was more complex than I thought, but seems to work now.

25. Offline

Wolftein

Using last version of CB i get "Connection closing, EOF in channel reached"

26. Offline

Raphfrk

So, 1.7.x?

There was a bug with including some files in the jar, it should work now.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  27. Offline

Wolftein

Thank you for the quick fix!

28. Offline

Raphfrk

Well, it was just a fix to a pom script. It worked in Eclipse, but not with maven.

Does it work for you now?

29. Offline

Wolftein

Nop, still the same issue xD

30. Offline

Raphfrk

Which exact version of CB are you using?

31. Offline

Wolftein

CB-1.7.2-R0.1