MC-NET (computers in bukkit)

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by ajisfree, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Offline

ajisfree

Hi everyone I have a plugin idea that I think would be great for large servers. It may be possible I am not 100% sure.
    My idea is a computer networking plugin. This plugin would be able to host working computer systems, and networks at the server admins discretion.
    The plugin could have some of the following:
    • Working computer applications
      • a Docs application that writes on a book and quill
    • Music Player (combined with the functions that are like the jukeloop plugin)
    • Custom Applications
      • Server Admins can link game/console/op commands into applications and select icons for them
    • send mail messages to players.
    • Manage Economy Transactions
      • Recent purchases, money gain, or other transactions
    • Public and Private Computers
    • Item Visualization...
      • Players could send specified items to safety deposit box (ie: ender storage size of a large chest) and access it from another computer.
      • Or they can send it to another players box. (IE: sending it to there enderchest)
      • If no room the Item will be sent back or placed in a "cloud" and appear the next time the sender has space.
    • Other plugin features
      • IE: Activating a wireless redstone signal from the wireless redstone signal plugin.
      • Activating Redstone signals in general
      • Teleporting a player to another PC location (Emailing Player)
    2014-06-29_21.00.28.png
    Example of a Server: This would be Required for PC for Networks to be linked
    2014-06-29_21.00.34.png
    Example layout of a possible PC configuration.
    2014-06-29_21.01.05.png
    This is what the user would see once they click on the sign and login. The main Desktop
    2014-06-29_21.01.21.png 2014-06-29_21.01.42.png
    This would be the example of a signal from the server or a wireless hub using a wireless modem. The Signal show in the lore would be determined based on block radius from the server/modem. Example would be: A high signal when in a 1 - 10 block radius, Moderate in a 11 - 15 blocks, and low when it is 16 - 20 blocks away.
    2014-06-29_21.01.43.png
    This is the trash bin and would be used to remove applications from the computer, Only pc admins would see this feature.
    2014-06-29_21.02.25.png
    This is the music feature that would be available when the PC is adjacent to a Jukebox, and has a loaded disk.
    2014-06-29_21.03.14.png
    This is just a possible advanced layout for a PC. The Chest would be used to send/receive items virtually. The Dropper could be used to print docs from the docs applications by writing it in a book and quill.
    2014-06-29_21.05.47.png
    This is a example of a Public Server Hub. This would be used to link servers and/or PC together via a wired network. Hub blocks could be up to 4 blocks adjacent to each other, In this case the Hub is only a 1 block.
    2014-06-29_21.05.53.png
    Example of computer Network setup. Keep in mind that if there is a way not to use redstone to link the network together and do it via channels, then that would be a preferred way for the plugin to work. Or maybe incorporate both, but plugin user can set it as a donor perk to use the wireless system.

dsouzamatt and jacklin213 like this.
  2. Offline

Stealth2800

Hm, interesting. This would be a fun project to take up, although I don't personally have the time to do it right now. Good luck finding a dev willing to do this, as it is a rather large project. :)

3. Offline

ajisfree

It would not necessarily have to be large at first. Just being able to support mailing and/or a text output would be the basics of the plugin. What I mean by text output is, when a use clicks on a application icon, it could show a set of text, or run a command or set of commands.

4. Offline

ajisfree

I think it would be a great new "essentials" style plugin. It doesn't have to be large. Just simple that opens the door to be more complex.

5. Offline

Trevor1134

Kind of sounds like something that would take up a lot of time, that in the end, will be just another plugin. Maybe 50 downloads? Doesn't sound like it would really get too far in the plugin world. Just my opinion though. This is something I would try if it weren't for that.

6. Offline

ajisfree

I know it would take a lot of time for essentially. What I'm talking about is the main function of this plugin could be to use vault to provide a graphics interface for other plugins.
    Example: the plugin is made and can recognize some essentials commands/configs
    A server owner goes up to his pc. The pc is protected for only server admins to use.
    And clicks on a application that manages inventories. It then opens up a new menu and shows two icons.
    A chest = players inventory. And a ender chest = players ender inventory.
    They click on one. It then switches to the chat box and ask for a player name. You type it in and hit enter. It the. Displays the players inventory and your hot bar would then have new icons. You would click on them to do other actions to there inventory. Like clicking a nether star icon to give the player a item. It would open a creative inventory and you click the item you want to give, etc. to save changes done to a players inventory you click a player head and all changes are saved and your back to the main screen.

Anyone else have any other ideas on a use for a graphics interface plugin like this?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  7. Offline

Kutis96

Hey, this seems to be a quite nice idea - I rather like those chests used as a display...
    I might try to do something about this, but seriously, stuff is getting a little bit complicated here, and I haven't touched Java/Bukkit in a loong time...

I will give it a shot though, I've actually kinda missed writing those plugins :D (no, really...)

8. Offline

Harrison015

Computer games xD
    It could be used for management of server plugins. Like, a menu that shows all the plugins. Then when a plugin "file" is open, it shows commands from that plugin which you can click and do that command.

Also could be used to create controllable redstone pulses or sequences.

Oh, another idea: A protocol which you can program! It would basically be a computer player that is controlled from a script. It could have an inventory, walk, equip, drop, teleport, talk, etc.

You could use it as a sort of multi command block. And maybe a way to "code" easily a mini game or an event/feature.

It could be used to create portals, new worlds, biomes (TerrainControl), and maybe even portals to other servers! (BungeeCord)

Another one that I would like is maybe a type of thing like qCraft! http://qcraft.org with the quantum physics computer stuff.

A virtual workbench complete with: Crafting, Anvil, Furnace, Storing, Enchanting, Brewing.

And my last idea is maybe computercraft turtles that could mine and fight for you.

Hope these ideas spark some lights! I would certainly enjoy this if it was ever created and implemented :)

ajisfree likes this.
  9. Offline

ajisfree

Harrison015 I like the idea of a "virtual player". If if the plugin was made to support a feature such as that. It could combine the idea of the player/turtle by pairing with the citizens plugin. Being able to control a citizen through this plugin as a "turtle". A feature like this could be set up with specified permissions so that it can only be use by those ranks set aside for donators.

10. Offline

Harrison015

ajisfree
    I just thought of another one xD

Players can have shops that use the inventory of the computers. Others can then "connect" and purchase/sell from their menu.

ajisfree likes this.
  11. Offline

ajisfree

Harrison015 that's a great idea for the plugin. It would create a sort of "internet shop" or "eBay" for minecraft servers. Players could search for items that other players have for sale.

Another idea I had for the construction of this plugin to help it tone down so that it does not all rely on a single plugin is to make so it accepts sub-plugins. The basic features are in the main plugin and feature like the online shop idea would come in a sub-plugin that you would place in another folder within this plugin's folder. That way the stress is not all on one joint. Maybe Trevor1134 could tell us how this feature would help towards the development of this plugin.

12. Offline

Trevor1134

ajisfree I can try and start of the framework of this plugin, but I cannot make any promises that I can/will want to complete this. I like making difficult plugins, but I prefer to know they will make it somewhere, ya know?

EDIT: Well, after re-reading the post, I think it would be too difficult. I forgot about the redstone factor and such. I had gotten the idea that it was just a single block with an inventory for GUI...

13. Offline

ajisfree

Trevor1134 the redstone does not have to be used in the design. All that I posted was a quick layout. What I thought would happen for the plugin is that the main frame work for it would be done then as time moves on other developers could program new features for it. So what you mean by redstone framework, it does. Not have to be done that way. If all we could get to work right now was the GUI of the PC with some sort of basic idea of building and activating then that's fine. If you don't want to do it, it's ok but I think that with the a little time it would be a great plugin.

14. Offline

big02001

Im almost done...
    Do you want a passcode that you type in chat? Or some kind of GUI password?

Just trying to get out the last few errors, should be done in ~20 mins

15. Offline

Harrison015

Ooh nice, I'll test it out

16. Offline

big02001

Harrison015 Still dont know if it will be what the OP wanted, it looks awesome so far and im excited to release it.. Just need to know about the password stuff and what the community wants the config file or an ingame config to look like

Also. When the items are transfering from PC to PC, or into the "hub/server" the redstone going to that one lights up one by one, it looks awesome :D Me and my friends are playing around with it right now :p So fun. I might add "turtles" like from computercraft that you can program with Java in a file of some sort, thats just a maybe though

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
  17. Offline

Harrison015

@big02001
    If you do do some extensions, please do what ajisfree suggested with the add-on thing. And then read about his/my idea about the "turtles" being Minecraft "players" that can talk, move, and do things by a script.

18. Offline

ajisfree

Great to hear. It will be nice to see it in actions far as the plug goes, will it be able to have the "sub-plugin" feature. That way the idea of the pc has more of a customizable aspect like module addons.
    For the passcode. It can be don in chat or maybe even a GUI color passcode.

19. Offline

big02001

I'm no longer going to release this. Sorry. Its done though, so theres that to all the devs, just so ya know its possible, i even got the qCraft features working :D

20. Offline

Harrison015

Why?

21. Offline

ajisfree

22. Offline

big02001

I put all of my time and a TON of work into this, me being only 13 this was a big project for me, and I just want it as my own.. If anything I would release it to some money, sorry..

23. Offline

ajisfree

Why would you not want to show off your work as a 13 year old developer? big02001

24. Offline

Onlineids

big02001 Awfully immature, but hey it reflects your age.

25. Offline

ajisfree

I think that this plugin could be one that if it was released with minimum features to show its potential that people would donate to see it progress into more. I have donated to plugins before. I would not buy a plugin unless it was made privately. No reason in paying for something someone else to obtain for free. Wouldn't you agree Onlineids big02001

26. Offline

big02001

ajisfree That could be a possibilty, I like that idea. Give me a few days to think about it. Oh and Onlineids FYI i'm mature enough to have a job with EA this summer ;/

27. Offline

Onlineids

big02001 But not mature enough to release a plugin that took you a couple days? Funny...

28. Offline

big02001

Onlineids ~2 months to be exact... I was working on something like this long befor the request.. I just changed it to be more like this. Then decided not to release it :)

29. Offline

Onlineids

big02001 If it took you 2 months to make this there is another problem.

30. Online

timtower Administrator Administrator Moderator

Onlineids Don't do this please. People could also be busy with living. Not as fast with coding etc.