Map seed hider

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by xBlueXFoxx, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Offline

xBlueXFoxx

There's exploits out there that allow people to locate ores, strongholds, etc based apon map seeds, a plugin that would either hide or display the incorrect map seed would be awesome.

HockeyMike24 likes this.
  2. Offline

HockeyMike24

That would be amazing, but for some reason I think its not possible.

3. Offline

xBlueXFoxx

Yeah I don't think there's an API or w/e for it, no support for masking it, but it would be really useful

4. Offline

jorisk322

It is possible I think: Set the seed to for example '123'. You then use a world generator, that just takes another seed '321' and uses that to create a world. The user would see '123' as the seed, while the server generates like '321'.

EDIT: I have this idea in my head for some time actually, but I forgot to post it.

RROD likes this.
  5. Offline

darkmage0252

Only way possible is to use a custom generator

6. Offline

jorisk322

so it is possible. The plugin would be a generator, that just uses the MC terrain generation and allows you to enter the seed. I think it actually already exists! *looks in chrome history*

EDIT:
    *finds this*
    I am not sure if you can choose a different seed here, but if you can't I am sure it is not too hard to implement.

7. I saw a Plugin that uses the same seed but scrambles the ores, it only works on new worlds though.

I'll try and find the Plugin.

Keir

8. Offline

mushroomhostage

ChunkScrambler http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/chunkscrambler/ . Essentially uses a different (hidden) seed for the ore generation. Players can still generate a world offline with the same seed to reveal general terrain features, but not the ores.

The map seed can be changed (after pre-generating the whole world, for example) to hide the true seed from the client, only problem is, biome are calculated client-side from the map seed, so they'll be scrambled as well.

9. Offline

MuisYa

Jeb. Please. Just. Remove. This.

10. Offline

RROD

I'm gonna fork this and see what spits out.

Hardcore Forking Action
    [​IMG]

MuisYa likes this.
  11. Offline

jorisk322

Jaj!

12. Offline

Greylocke

the client needs the seed in order to generate biome colors and weather

If you don't mind decompiling craftbukkit, you can always change the seed for the ore generator and stronghold generator. Then the player's client gets what it needs, and your ores and strongholds are safely hidden.