Major RAM issue

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by cuddylier, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, recently I have had major problems with ram, my server uses around 2gb RAM on a restart but uses 9-10 gb after about 10 hours. I have been told before to reduce the assigned ram, this didn't work :( Here is my plugin list http://pastebin.com/2Nw2EqJ1 . Maybe a plugin has a memory leak. After about 24 hours the server gets too much for itself and just goes to "Read time out". Thanks cuddylier

2. Offline

obnoxint

By this rate I assume more than one of your plugins have memory leaks, or you have a problem with your configuration.

How much traffic does your server have to handle, in meaning of online/joining/leaving players, explored areas, entities, etc.?

Maybe you should consider restarting the server every ~ 6 hours...

3. Offline

drakee510

Have you tried each plugin one by one to see which one, if any causes the leak?

4. Yes, I have tried every plugin on a test server on my own but problems only arise when there is 40-60 people on the server.

I get about 2000 connections a day, Restarting every so often does keep the ram lower. I don't usually have many entitles nor playera exploring much. The ram goes from 2gb to 9gb with even only 15 players online! It doesn't seem to be much of a player count issue.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  5. Offline

obnoxint

Can we see your startup script or at least the parameters you are passing to the java executable?
    From what I know now, I would guess your server configuration is simply too "greedy".

The JVM takes what it gets, so it would not be a surprise if it reserves the memory it gets if there are no limitations set. And obviously you have a lot of RAM available. Usually the JVM also frees memory if it doesn't need it anymore. This is called "garbage collection". So I also guess that it's very possible that at least one of your plugins is poorly coded and causes memory leaks. Regular restarts would be an acceptable workaround, in my opinion.

6. I use mcmyadmin and apparently it has a really good startup script. It must be a plugin with a memory leak, or this is what I assume anyway. The problem is which plugin :S

7. Offline

obnoxint

This may or may not help:

1. In your bukkit.yml file, set the option 'plugin-profiling' to true.
    2. Then schedule the command 'timings' in your MCMyAdmin to be executed every 30 Minutes.
    3. Do this for at least 6 hours (12 executions).
    4. Save the output to a file and upload it to pastie.org, gist.github.com, or whatever you want.

8. Here is a timings file I got a few days ago from about 3 hours of being monitored: http://pastebin.com/7R2naDTX

9. Offline

obnoxint

Your slowest plugins are:
    • LWC (slow BlockPistonExtendEvent, PlayerInteractEvent and BlockBreakEvent)
    • mcbans (doesn't surprise me when I look at the code)
    • mcMMO (slow PlayerCommandPreprocessEvent)

10. Would LWC be slow as I have about 10k protections?

11. Offline

obnoxint

Damn, yes! I don't know for sure how LWC manages its memory, but this surely eats up a lot of RAM and requires a lot of checks. This could explain the extremely high timings in the BlockPistonExtendEvent.

12. I am speaking to the LWC developer atm, he seems to think that lwc wouldn't use more than 500mb of ram but I doubt that quite a lot. Is there any other protection plugin that would use a lot less?

13. Offline

obnoxint

Well, I didn't intend to say that there is one single plugin to blame for your problem. Also, the timings measurement does not say anything about memory usage, but about how long a plugins event listener needs in order to finish its work. The usually thing to blame is the server configuration in general. You should for example reconsider your protection strategy. Also you should review all your settings for options that could require a lot of memory and search for plugin updates, in case a developer implemented code improvements.

LWC is a protection plugin with a very long history and is really well fleshed out. So I can't really suggest to replace it with another protection system, especially if it would cause a lot of moderative effort on your server. A pretty young but promising system called Guardian could be worth a try. But be warned, that this plugin is in an early state of development and far from being feature-complete.

Your next step should be a review of your whole server configuration, because I think this is something you didn't for a long time.

14. In terms of server configuration, I haven't reviewed it since I had around 10 people on my server and now I get 80 people on at peak times. The problem is, I don't know what I can change in my server configuration or plugins to change to suit a bigger server. I'll take a look at Guardian. Thanks.

Anyone else any ideas on what to change in my configuration to make it more efficient?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2016
  15. Offline

Wendo

What are your server specs?

16. I have a intel i5 processor, 16gb ram and 2tb hard drive. My server now randomly comes up with 'read time out' which makes my server unresponsive. Absolutely no errors before the read time out.

17. Anyone else any ideas? I'm still having the issue with RAM rising a lot when I hit about 30 players! I have tried everything said above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.