"Magic items" - Is it possible to effect player capability?

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by MonsterTV, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Offline

MonsterTV

EDIT: You know what, screw it. I'm willing to pay for someone to cobble something like this together. Just contact me if you think you can do it.

I recently stumbled across this mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=148257

For those not bothering to click, it proposes a world where players hunt for several "artifacts" that each have various bonuses. One might increase speed by 10%, another, tool durability. Now, obviously, he proposes a whole lot more, but I think a lot can be done with the tools available.

He proposes massive dungeons that require keys to open. I propose bedrock dungeons made with MCEdit, and doors locked with the lwc plugin, with hidden passwords as "keys".

Deep inside each dungeon is the artifact. I propose maybe a few useful items, and another password, this one to be sent using Essentials /mail send command to the admin, as a sort of "Hey, I reached the treasure room first, where is my reward?" notification.

The only problem is, I can't figure out a way to reward players who finish the extremely hidden, very challenging dungeons. I know that client-side mods exist that increase player speed, and several plugins here increase damage or tool durability. Is there anyone who would be willing to help me come up with a plugin that gives bonuses to players, possibly controlled by Permissions? As in, a player finds a "yellow artifact" which makes mining go 10% faster. As a reward, I open up Permissions and add "artifact.yellow" to toggle this benefit.

The artifacts listed in that proposed mod are:
    Yellow: +10% mining speed
    Orange: +10% tool durability
    Blue -10% damage
    Green: +10% speed
    Black: +10% damage

However, I have no idea if these are all even possible, so I am open to suggestions. Possibly some things like MCMMO has, like a red artifact that causes a chance of your attacks igniting a target, or red might instead provide lava/fire resistance. Hell, you could even do something fancy like copying the code from the Vampire plugin, and giving the wielder of a Purple artifact the ability to walk unscathed among mobs, as they will only attack him if he attacks first. The fact is, I'm not a programmer, so I'm at your mercy, and at the mercy of what sort of things bukkit supports right now.

I'm a big fan of keeping things simple, and I honestly think this Artifact Hunter mod can be duplicated with a few hours of MCEdit work, EXCEPT for these artifact bonuses. Even if you, the reader, are not a programmer, or are even not interested in programming it, I'm just genuinely interested if you have a workaround using the plugins already available.

Edit: I should point out that when I say artifact, I am not literally talking about a new item modded into the game. It is more a symbolic artifact, that a player earns through completing a challenge, at the end of which is a secret password they can give to an admin for a reward. This reward would the be handled through a new plugin reading Permissions

Since there are so many plugin requests in the forum, I'll sweeten the deal by offering to pay for what seems like a pretty easy plugin. I'm not exactly sure what is fair for paying a coder, but we'll work something out.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2016
  2. Offline

MonsterTV

I know that it is a little tacky to bump your own thread, but again, I will pay for this plugin. It might even be possible to borrow code from other plugins.

Tool durability bonus - Code from Dwarfcraft
    Enemies ignore unless attacked first. - Code from Vampire
    Speed boost - Several plugins effect minecrarts and boats. Possibly effect player as well?
    Damage boost - Several skill plugins
    Mining speed boost - Not sure if anyone has done this one yet, tbh
    Permanent armor - Not sure about this one either, but instead possible using a very slow health regen from something like Juggernaut

And since it is just an on/off toggle in permission, there doesn't need to be any in game interface, except possible a single command just to make sure it is on.

Anyway, this is my last ditch effort to get attention on this. I'll let it fade out if no one replies.