Lightning pole

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by msw1, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Offline

msw1

Well, we all know lightning in minecraft. It burns stuff down, and it kills you. Though there is Plagues wonderful coldlightning, this doesn't seem very realistic. So what I am asking? Lightning is drawn to iron blocks. I would love to see giant iron poles on peoples wooden homes to have the lightning strike the pole and not the house. It would seem like mining iron when you have diamond is actually important. Maybe this could be done by the iron block cancelling out lightning in a 10x10 radius except for a invisible 1x1 beam above it, and increasing the chance of lightning in that 1x1 beam. I am no coder, I have no idea if this is possible or not, but if it is, some coder, please make it!

So, is this possible?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  2. Offline

Plague

sk98g said he wants to do it, but he has little time.

I did look into the new weather stuff and can't think of a way to disable lightning in an area.

3. Offline

anon

4. Offline

DannyDog

This would end most of the player house fires and forest fires. Great idea and would make a good mod.. eg
    lightning pole attracts lightning. machine converts lightning into useable electricity... used to run machinery or just charge batteries lol... im sure there is a mod like this besides the lightning...

5. Offline

Plague

PlgColdLightning protects forests and homes from fires.
    Lightning rod couln't protect whole forests anyway, this plugin would be good only for houses.

6. Offline

msw1

Is it possible to make it invisible and harmless in that area? That wouldn't be as cool, but maybe its more possible. That way it would "look" like the iron block summoned it.

7. Offline

Plague

harmless yes, invisible no

8. Offline

Tmidog69

Redstone torches already provide an infinite power source though?

9. Offline

ikkyblob

Maybe make it conduct to gold instead, it a good conductor and would give it a use!

10. Offline

Plague

Well platinum is not in game, so gold is the next best thing ;)

Anyway gold has use since 1.5 - booster rails.

11. Offline

msw1

Off topic: WTH is the blue creeper? Link to post in my sig.

12. Offline

Plague

Okay, since 729 lightning poles are possible :)

13. Offline

Raphfrk

Well, in theory, you can send an enable/disable rain packet to specific players.

14. Offline

Plague

since 729 you can just catch the appropriate event

15. Offline

Raphfrk

That's what I get for only half reading posts :).

16. Offline

DannyDog

oo 729 came out.. i never knew. i was sleeping i think -.-

oh crap... 730 just came out when i downloaded 729 lol

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  17. Offline

Plague

use 730 at least since it does put out fires in rain...

18. Offline

DannyDog