Let staff members upload YML file

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Lordloss, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Lordloss

Hello guys,

im coding a plugin which allows players to interact with NPCs by conversations and specific actions, which get controlled by a script in a config file.

Our server is hosted by an online hosting service, and i want to give our staff members the ability to create this conversation files themself. But i think it would be a bad idea to give all our members access to the whole server file system.

Do you have any (hopefully not that complicated) ideas how to do this without giving them FTP access or anything like that?

My idea was to create a windows forms application which does the uploading part, but still the sensible data would be hard-coded somewhere in the source...

Maybe you have some brilliant thoughts on this? ;)

2. Offline

Lordloss

@bwfcwalshy thanks for the link! Im pretty sure no one of my mods would try to decompile it, but maybe if it gets in the wrong hands? I just want to make sure.

3. @Lordloss You could always make it complex to get for example save to a file encrypted with a key grabbed from a site and is encoded with base64. That may be a bit overboard but it is always better to be safe than sorry. If you think your staff aren't that tech savvy you could make a hidden folder somewhere like Roaming\windows_logs so they would never check then save the info there.

Just make sure not to save the details plain text, save it in binary or base 64 or something like that.

4. Offline

Lordloss

It would still be somewhere in the source code, because something needs to tell the hidden file what to write in it ;)
    Because hes very creative in such things, i would really like to see @I Al Istannen opinion on this :)

5. Offline

I Al Istannen

@Lordloss
    I have an idea which could actually work :p And it requires no password or username hardcoded anywhere. I will try to implement it today/tomorrow and then send you the source / program and the idea. If I won't be able to do it soon I will just write what I had in mind.

I am not sure if it works, so I will keep it secret for a bit :p Don't want to make you false hopes.

Maybe you could do it with file permissions via FTP, which would be probably the easiest way. Don't know how that would work, or if it even is possible though.

But I will report back tomorrow ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.