Learn To set up your server, plugins, and Portforward! "HD Video 720p"

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Jakebobjo, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Jakebobjo

Follow this video and u can get your server up!

Code:

cd Desktop/Bukkit

touch Server.sh

"put this into the server.sh file"

#!/bin/sh
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar

change the 1024 witch = 1gb to wht ever u want just multiply 1024 * Ram GB
    (ex. 1024 * 2.5)

Update:

http://bamboo.lukegb.com/

Bukkit Forum:

http://forums.bukkit.org/

2. Offline

TnT

Isn't it a bad idea to run your Minecraft server within your Desktop directory? Just for clutter sake I mean. Although I'm not a regular Mac user (only use the hackintosh I built for my gf every once in a while), its definitely bad practice to do so on a Windows or Linux OS.

3. Offline

Jakebobjo

yeah on windows its was more typing and stuff so place in ur C: or somthing lol but this is a mac tut mostly or linux

4. Offline

TnT

Still terrible idea to put it all in your desktop folder on a Linux OS.

5. Offline

Jakebobjo

I dont use linux :D lol but yeah! why is it bad?

6. Offline

MonsieurApple

I don't know what he's talking about. Running the jar from your desktop probably isn't a great idea for clutters sake, but putting it in a folder named Bukkit (or something like that, like you did) is fine. I usually keep this stuff in my home folder.

7. Offline

Jakebobjo

Thats wht i thought!

8. Offline

TnT

Mostly a best practices sort of thing. It will work, never said it wouldn't, just makes me cringe from a sys admin standpoint.

9. Offline

Jakebobjo

oh lol

10. Offline

TnT

The desktop, on any OS, is a place meant for people to have shortcuts, or quick links to other files/folders, not as a place to store such files and folders. Not to slam your post - the theory is sound, just the location of the files themselves should be moved, imo (which may not be worth much :p).

11. Offline

Jakebobjo

True i just wasnt thinking lol is there a way to get the batch file on mac? because its so much easyer to start servers with them

12. Offline

TnT

Mac OS is Unix based, so you'd be able to use Bash scripts - any of the Linux .sh scripts should work as well.

13. Offline

Jakebobjo

I use the .sh script if you watch but is there any excutable script like how a exe or a batch file woot launch with out using any terminal commands lol also on mac i cant make shorcuts :(

14. Offline

TnT

I'll see if I can get a knowledgeable Mac admin here (I'll see if my bud can jump on) to give you some pointers. He'd be able to direct you better than I can.

15. Offline

zipfe

You called :)

Jakebobjo, the sh files work just fine on a Mac, because it's Unix based as has been pointed out before.

However, if you want the easy double-click-this-icon thing, you may use a .command file on your Mac.

This is what a .command file looks like to start a minecraft server on a Mac:

Code:
    cd /users/YOURNAME/whatever/mcserver/
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    In other words, jump to the folder where you saved the server launch files, and then execute the jar. Exactly the same as with a linux server.

16. Offline

user7

I agree with zipfe and TnT. Mac is Unix, so a shell script is your best bet. You can put any of this code in a file and just "$ chmod +x file" to make it executable. Once you have that script somewhere (see below), you can create a shortcut for your desktop by right clicking on the script and click "Make Alias" then drag that to your desktop.

This is what TnT is referring to in regards to storing stuff on your desktop.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
    So the server probably should be installed to somewhere like /usr/local/bin
    However if this is a box that you alone are managing then it's really just a matter of personal preference.

If you want to sport some mac flare instead of a shell script then look at Automator. But probably a little overkill for what your trying to achieve.
    http://www.macosxautomation.com/automator/index.html

Let us know if you need more help with setting up a quick script.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.