Larger World Plug-In: Or from the daring depths to the soaring Heights

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Lunarius Haberdash, Jul 18, 2011.

1. I am interested in a plug-in of sorts that would work some dark magic with the Multi-verse plug-in.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This does not involve changing the 128 sky cap. This is Multi-Verse Black Magic.

The basic concept:
    A bit of data-trickery that would result in a world that seems 384-512 blocks from the highest point to the furthest depths.

1. The 'Soaring Heights': This world spawns a skylands biome as per normal, with the additional possibility of 'normal' spawns here if that is ones preference. (So skyborn creepers, spiders, cows, etc.)

2. The 'Spawn-World': This would bear a very close resemblance to the worlds we know. Differences: The overworld is pretty much normal, however, ores that spawn at 32 and below do not spawn in this world at all. The bottom of the world is also not bedrock, instead, it will drop you straight down into another world 128 blocks deep, fully underground. Bodies of water can descend as deep as level 19 from sea level, and sea level occurs at 75, rather than 60. (Possibly configurable?)

3. The 'Daring Depths': This world is much like the 'underground' of a normal map. The upper levels (say 30 or so) can have MUCH rarer than usual spawns of redstone, diamond, and the like (anything that occurs at level 32 or deeper). As you go deeper these spawns become more common until they are at normal levels between levels 1-32. The bottom of this world is still bedrock.

The Details:
    The Skylands, Spawn-World, and Depths are all inexorably linked. Digging through the bottom of the Spawn-World drops you directly into the Depths. (Where there is no sky, just a direct copy of the corresponding blocks of the Spawn-World to mimic it's continuity, and also to prevent you from dropping down into blocks where you'd just die.

For the Depths: Levels 138 (10 levels above the skycap, where you can't actually go, since if you cross level 128, you go back to the Spawn-World, don't know if this is possible) to 118 (10 levels below the skycap, enough to prevent you from bouncing back and forth when you cross since you'd spawn on level 118) are a direct mimic of the chunk you transferred down from.

For the Soaring Heights: Same deal, it copies the top 20 blocks of the overworld, and transfers them over to the Skylands (where levels -10 - 10 would be a duplicate of the Spawn-World, to prevent world-bouncing).

Chunk-Generation: Chunk generation occurs as per norm, the blocks in each world don't generate until someone enters that world to make them generate. The main difference here is that they would check the worlds directly connected to them to generate the necessary bits that exist in each. Additionally, and this could cause some weirdness, each time a chunk updates, it will cross-reference the connected chunks in neighboring 'worlds' to make sure everything stays consistent.
    This could definitely cause some strangeness if two people were modifying the neighboring worlds blocks at the same time.

The "Tricks"?:
    The coordinates of all chunks from the Skylands on down to the daring depths must coincide, so that you come up at the same place you'd drop down to make these worlds feel 'contiguous'. Dropping out of the skylands at any point would drop you straight into the Spawn-World at a directly connected chunk.

Additionally, weather events would have to occur simultaneously on all connected worlds. I don't know if it can rain/snow/etc in the Skylands, but I think it would be appropriate if they didn't. However, it would be very interesting if the sound of thundering storms at least made the sound of thunder and flashes of lightning in the Skylands, to let the airborne citizens know there was a storm going on down below.

Possible Variant:
    1. The Nether: If you dig down through the bottom of the Depths, it'd drop you into the top level of the Nether. Further, in levels 1-19 of the Depths, you'd start seeing intrusions of Netherrack, Soulsand, and the very rare occurence of Glowstone. This gets weird due to the 1:8 distance ratio of the Nether to the Overworld. The bottom of the Nether would, of course, remain 'infernal bedrock'. In this variant the 1:8 distance ratio of the Nether would preferably be removed, making hell actually under the normal world. In this case building an Obsidian Portal to the Nether would drop you straight down to the corresponding coordinate in the Nether.

2. Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace: I've noticed a few plug-ins that apparently play with the concept of 'Space'. Perhaps leaving the top of the Skylands would take you into the depths of space, where one could configure it to require special equipment to survive or die of asphyxiation.

3. How big do you want it?: The ability to make your world as high and as deep as you want, with the ability to configure where stuff spawns, in what worlds, and what world connects to the top and bottom of each world.

2. Offline

chubbz

This would be pretty cool but im confussed does it lower the spawn world and thus sounds like your trying to add terrairia to minecraft. I like the idea

3. Offline

loganwm

The server that I run with some friends of mine is configured with the Inception plugin to be layered like this:
    Space
    Skylands
    Normal World
    Nether
    Sphereworld
    Flatlands

The general idea is that you could plummet from empty Space into Spherworld and the Flatlands which are pretty much Limbo [the areas not governed by typical rules].

4. So it sounds like Inception has all of the 'core idea' already in it. The overlap thing, it constantly updates I assume? Making everything appear 'normal' as it were?

5. Offline

loganwm

I haven't messed with the overlap settings (I haven't touched the configuration much since an earlier release that didn't have a functional overlap), but as far as other features go, yes, it pretty much implements your idea pretty elegantly already.

6. Very nice. :) Just need to look at world-gens to make them link up as desired.