Just Won't Work. Please, please help.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by insanj, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

insanj

Hello Bukkiters. If you don't want to read the few words below, then scroll down to my "BOTTOM LINE."

Ever since the initial announcement of Bukkit, I've been entralled by it's promises of simplicity and the ability to have things "just work." However, I've been a sitting duck for the past couple weeks, when I figure that is the least useful thing to do to get prepared/enjoy Bukkit. So, two weeks ago, when I was just setting up my first Minecraft SMP Server, I downloaded CraftBukkit, and followed the instructions on this forum. To my discontent, they did not work. The server would boot up, everything would work fine, but the server would always be a Vanilla Server, and no Plugins or special-ness would ever go through.

At this point, I dropped it. I still wanted cool features, and tons of fun homemade plugins, but I figured: Hey, why not just wait for the full release. However, as my search for mods and plugins stretched the landscapes of all the Minecraft forums I could find, I realized that there were very few simple, working mods that were independent; most Minecraft add-ons out there were plugins for something. So, I tried hMod, kMod, SimpleServer, etc. Luckily, SimpleServer was the key, and worked beautifully- even if it didn't seem as glorious as Bukkit. So, days pass. SimpleServer is great.

A few days after installing, after having my server up for 2 weeks, I realize that locally hosting a server on your laptop at home isn't a very pratical, or good, idea. So, I asked my very computer-intelligent brother if I could use his online Virtual Server. He already had a website he programmed from scratch on it, and since it was hosted Virtually, it acted as if it was a computer, and we could always access it from my Mac's terminal window, and it would have the server up 24/7.
    Great! The only problem was this: When I first booted up the server, it completly crashed. The problem, as we diagnosed much later, was that SimpleServer, for some unknown reason, would refuse to work on this server. After carefully removing it, a simple little Vanilla Server worked like a charm.

But, here we are again. Same out dilemma. No one like Vanilla Servers for long. Lucky for me, there were still a few supported, awesome, mods out there. Well, two, that I could get working, or could find. So, now that my server had Llamacraft and Runecraft on it, I was very pleased. Days pass. People complain about creepers everywhere. People complain about no warps. People complain about everything. And truthfully, I wished I could have more than a few impratical, albiet fancy, runes and tiny special features. We wanted a WHITELIST, so no griefers came on int he middle of the night. We wanted all we could get.

Yet, just like on my locally hosted server, things didn't end up working out. I tried downloading and installing CraftBukkit, and followed carefully two sets of instructions, making sure I completed each task in each one. Yet, again, as I tested out the server on my computer, and tried it out online, it still only booted up a crappy Vanilla Server.

The BOTTOM LINE is this: No matter how many times I install CraftBukkit, or how many time I drag-and-drop those silly plugins into the /plugins folder, I always just get a Vanilla Server. Yes, I tried independent, Permissions-free plugins, yes I tried every kind of plugin out there. Nothing works.

If there is anyway anyone can help me with this, or requires more info, or a screeshot, or anything. I am open. PLEASE help. This is the third post I've made on a Minecraft forum about my problem with these base-mods. Please.

Thanks, in advance. And, if it's any consolation, anyone who wants to join the server to see that I'm telling the truth, or gauge my progress with this situation, just let me know in a reply below.

2. Offline

TnT

3. Offline

DerpinLlama

Are you on Windows? Create 'run.bat' and save this in it:
    Run it.

4. Offline

c0mp

Welcome to the forum! You've provided a ton of information, but very little relevant to your setup that might assist with diagnosing the issue. Providing this information would help.

In addition, what is the command you're using to fire up CraftBukkit? And what build are you using? If in doubt about your build, best to download a more recent version here.

5. Offline

insanj

Oh, okay. Here is the form filled out, I'll edit the post now too:
    1. I'm running on Mac OS X 10.6.6
    2. Not sure how to find this out, but I'm running the 2nd most recent MacBook Pro out there.
    3. java version "1.6.0_22"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03-307, mixed mode)
    4. CraftBukkit 0.0.1
    5. java -jar craftbukkit.jar
    6. None work, so I N/A.
    7. No error, just won't work at all.
    8. Installing all different plugins, trying it on multiple computers, nothing works, but I would try more if I could.
    9. Well, since my problem is that the server refuses to be anything BUT Vanilla, nothing else would change anything.

Thank a lot! Hope that helps.

6. Offline

c0mp

This says nothing, they're ALL 0.0.1 now, as it's not been officially released. Replace your current one with this one, make sure your plugins are up to date, then start the server again.

7. Offline

TnT

Try java -Xincgc -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

8. Offline

insanj

Alright, I did as you asked, but nothing changed. Also, I should point out that, since I just downloaded all the plugins, and the problem is that they don't work: re-downloading them will do nothing.
    --- merged: Jan 29, 2011 1:43 AM ---
    When I try to put this command into Terminal, I just get:
    -bash: Xincgc: command not found

So... yeah. Nothing working yet.

9. Offline

c0mp

CraftBukkit and all associated plugin development is in a very volatile state right now. Plugins are being updated constantly, CraftBukkit is updated constantly (sometimes 10 or 15 different builds a day.) I'm just making sure that you're running everything somewhat current.

Sounds like you might have missed a hyphen, or the initial java command, or something. Try again, copy and paste:

Code:
    java -Xincgc -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

10. Offline

TnT

Alternatively:

java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

The -Xincgc will be better than -Xms1024M, but both will work.

11. Offline

insanj

Hey!
    Even though I've tried very similar commands in the past, redownloading craftbukkit, and putting that into Terminal somehow fixed it. Thanks for your help, but I really know don't what is responsible for things just coming to life.

12. Offline

TnT

If you want an honest answer to that, you're going to get someone saying "User error." ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.