Solved item always null

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by pkt, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

pkt

I have been constantly been getting a NullPointerException, no matter what code I use. I haven't coded in Java for a couple months, so I am a bit rusty, can anyone help me out?

Code:
            for (ItemStack items : player.getInventory().getContents()) {
                if (items != null)
                    if (items.hasItemMeta() && items.getType() == Material.WRITTEN_BOOK)
                        if (((BookMeta) items.getItemMeta()).getTitle().equals(ChatColor.BLUE + "test"))
                            items.setTypeId(0);
            }

2. Offline

chasechocolate

Which line are you getting the NPE on?

3. Offline

pkt

all of the ones in the for loop, it doesn't matter what order I put them in, they all get nulls

4. Offline

chasechocolate

pkt is player null? :3

5. Offline

pkt

no, just the items

Why does items.equals(null) give an npe when I'm checking to see if its null? And whats the difference between using == and .equals() ? one seems to work sometimes and the other doesnt...?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
  6. Offline

foodyling

You can use .equals() on a null since a null object doesn't have any specific functions. Add some debug such as
    Code:
    if (player == null) {
      getLogger().info("Player is null");
    }
    if (player.getInventory() == null) {
      getLogger().info("Inventory is null");
    } 
    to find the root of the NPE

7. Offline

pkt

I already did debugging.
    For some reason... it just stopped giving npes.... I did not change any code or order.... but now my problem is removing the item, item.setType() to AIR or 0 won't work..

8. Offline

foodyling

Player's can't carry an air block, if I recall correctly you might be able to do player.getInventory().remove(items)

9. Offline

pkt

Yea, just found that method in the JavaDocs... I remember setting items to air a long time ago.. :eek: I really need to keep up with Java, been away soo long. well thanks for helping!

foodyling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.