is this somehow possible to ...

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by MG127, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MG127

either let the server render a screen from the players pos
    or
    let the user remotly take a screenshot and upload it anywhere
    ?
    if not, i'll have to render the screens on the target server from x3d or schematic something like this ... and thats not the best way

2. Offline

user_43347

Meaning, allow the server to take a screenshot of a client?
    No, the server can't take screenshots from my knowledge.

3. Well, using some effort you could theoretically use/rewrite the client classes to render an image of the assumed client view. It would be a huge hassle, though, as all rendering features are obviously left out in the server version.

You of course also cannot just tell the client to serve you a screenshot, unless you require a mod for it, which would make the task a whole bunch easier (but still pretty challenging, especially getting the image to the server).

4. Offline

MG127

data transfer is one of the first things you'll learn with java if you study IT :D
    but with a mod ... thats not so fine, i already thought about it, it would be only optional and i think no one would use it. except i implement it in spout, but i don't know many ppl that use spout or have a spout server (even though that spout is realy great, but some essential mod-conversions are still missing)

more context:
    i'm currently wrinting a plugin to let the users to export object (cuboid selection) to a website, the uploaded files will be x3d, obj and schematic (converted on bukkit-server side)
    and what i need is a screenshot (maybe around 200 px width) as thumbnail

maybe i'll find a way to render the x3d file on the server

5. Well, the difficult part would not be the actual transfering of the data (that's not hard if you ever worked with sockets), but to get it somehow user-friendly and incorporated into the server & gameplay.
    I don't feel like explaining a lot on what I mean right now, it's redundant for situation anyway ;)

An important information you added: it only has to be a bunch of blocks, not a whole game-world including everything like entities, sky, UI. That would make server-side rendering easier, but still not exactly simple (unless you manage to get some useful rendering code for blocks out of the client).

6. Offline

MG127

i thought that it would be easier to render a x3d file but i didn't found anything
    i found a renderer for obj files instead inclusive examples for html integration
    maybe i'll make another obj file only for the screenshot, the actual includes all blocks and blockfaces of the selected area, the x3d file only the visible blocks and faces.

7. Offline

ZNickq

With spout, you can take client screenshots :)

8. Offline

MG127

... the object thing wasn't for rendering images, it was like x3d a browser implementation
    and search again :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.