Solved Is there a tool for editing configs

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by 5tinger, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

5tinger

I'm looking for a way to edit plugin yml files remotely without using FTP to transfer the files locally, editing them and then transferring them back to the server. Does such a tool exist?

2. Offline

tr4st

What about SSH and nano or vi/vim?

3. Offline

5tinger

Yeah vi would work but I was thinking of something a bit more GUI based

4. Offline

Firebastard

I use notepad++.

5. Offline

5tinger

Are you able to connect to a remote Linux server with Notepad++?

6. Offline

Panzerwurst

Notepad++ is the alternative to windows notepad, it doesent do remote connections mate

One way I know of to edit these without using FTP or remoting to the server is to make the directorys viewable via the internet and editable via a webpage

Drawbacks tho are that you have to work out how to secure it so no one else can edit it , setting up a redirect and logon form as well. And also making it a webserver and all that fun

7. Offline

5tinger

Actually Firebastard is correct. I didn't know Notepad++ could connect to a remote share over FTP or in my case SFTP.

This is the solution I was looking for and I'm stoked to use Notepad++. I wish I realized this months ago. I could of saved a lot of time by not using Filezilla to transfer the files locally, then opening them in Notepad++, then transferring them back with Filezilla. Notepad++ could of done it all along directly!

Notepad++ has a NppFTP plugin under Plugins> NppFTP. From here you can create a profile to your remote server to access and edit all config files.

8. Offline

Panzerwurst

I never knew that lol

New TOY!!

9. Offline

ChumChum

How can you create a profile to your remote server?
    EDIT: Oh nvm, found it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.