Is my host cheating me?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by standsfield, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

standsfield

I have the following plugins, and the multicraft console says it is using 768MB of ram when NOONE is online! It is crazy.

I am suspicious that the hosting company may be cheating me, not giving me all the ram I paid for. All the mysql databases and other internet connections are turned off. It is only connecting to minecraft.net and thats it - no extra plugins that connect to the internet and hog the RAM.

I just have some basic plugins and it is using 768 MB of my 1gb of ram. That means that only 3 players can play on my server, if each is using 100MB.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Does anyone have experience with hosts? Thanks!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  2. Offline

daboross

RAM has no relation to whether a plugin is connecting to the internet, it is Random Access Memory. ALL plugins will use RAM when they are being ran. Try running the server without any plugins and see how much RAM the host says you are using. that 768m is most likely background processes running with the plugins.

Can you give a list of all the plugins that doesn't have their names cut off? If you have access to console use command "plugins" and paste what it gives you.

I personally don't like payed server hosts, as they give you Very little control over your server. I like using ubuntu server on an old computer or something, as I can see the actual data, without having to go through all the branded viewing mechanisms.

Also 1gb of ram is not that much. If you are using all of those plugins, then I would say that 5 players should be the max. I can run about 15 players on my server with 2gb of ram.

IN your server.properties, try view-distance= to 3. That is one way of reducing RAM usage a lot. And each player shouldn't use up 768MB. If they did, then you would only be able to play with one player, as there is onlt 1024MB in your 1gb...

You might also try using Craftbukkit++, a custom craftbukkit build, it reduces RAM and CPU a lot. If your host lets you.

3. Offline

standsfield

I see. I meant 100 MB per person. Here is a new plugin list:

1. Anticheat
    2. Anticreeper
    3. BanHammer
    4. bottledexp
    5. cenotaph
    6. craftbook
    7. enderspawn
    8. essentials
    9. essentialsspawn
    10. gender
    11. ichat
    12. ipfinder
    13. Legacy
    14. LogBlock
    15. LWC
    16. Permissionex
    17. rateofxray
    18. vault
    19. worldedit
    20. xAuth

4. Offline

OstlerDev

There is nothing wrong with your hosting company, it is the plugins that you are running, alot of them use quite a bit of ram. Here is a short list of your plugins that use alot of ram.

- Anticheat (Usually ~150MB of RAM)
    - Essentials (Usually ~100MB of RAM)
    - LogBlock (Usually ~100MB of RAM)
    - RateofXRay (Usually ~200MB of RAM)
    - xAuth (Usually ~100MB of RAM)

Also are you running your server in offline mode, because that could change alot of things.

standsfield likes this.
  5. Offline

standsfield

Wow! Thanks! This is one of the MOST helpful posts I have ever received on the bukkit forums! I always had rateofxray to go alongside with anticheat's xray features, and I didn't realize how much RAM it is using! Thanks a ton!!!!

P.S. No, I am not on offline.

6. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Can you justify what exactly you think these plugins are doing that uses that much memory? Where are you getting this information?

Plugins simply don't use that much memory.

CeramicTitan likes this.
  7. Offline

Jade

Essentials does.

8. Offline

standsfield

What do you think would use less memory?

-RateofXray or Xrayinformer?

-anticheat or nocheatplus?

Thanks!

9. Offline

Jade

I've never used NoCheatPlus, I prefer AntiCheat as a Bukkit Staff member made it, and I never have seen/heard of RateofXray or Xrayinformer.

10. Offline

standsfield

Thanks for your input on anti-hacking plugins. Xrayinformer and rateofxray are plugins that take the ratio of stone to various ores to help the admin determine if a user is using xray. An alternative to orebfuscator, but much more lightweight.

11. Offline

Toxic__Waste

dude even if you removed all your plug ins you could hold 10 people up your ram use your essentials and get rid of anti creeper,ban hammer as you can use essentials for those get rid of xauth and make sure your in online mode
    and get atleast 1 more gb of ram then you can hold 25 easy

12. Offline

standsfield

I know, but I like my plugins. :p

13. Offline

Toxic__Waste

then get rid of the anti cheats and any thing that scrambles chunks not like you have many people to watch also with essentials you can do /vanish and check up on people

14. Offline

Mister_Fix

im am really sorry for being noob but i think thats all coz of your essentials'es taking that memory
    as you know, essentials is a very heavy plugin and i got the same problem as you
    when i just restarted my computer and started my server i says i left with 660 MB out of the 1 GB my server is allocated to so i tried tons of differnt plgins and now my memory usage is 250 MB (when theres 8 people online)

15. Offline

Toxic__Waste

there are alot worse plug ins then essentials if you dont need the admin commands or tp commands or warp or home or all the cheats or jail or ban then go ahead and remove it loool

also i find that alot of people who get an all in one plug in like essentials command book and royal commands dont research them and add other plug ins that those already handle like a banning system they would get another one when essentials will handle that

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  16. Offline

Mister_Fix

it might be funny, but i found a more useful plugin then essentials that does include what you said + more stuff

17. Offline

Necrodoom

that is one piece of shit.
    essentials is NOT a heavy plugin. and it NEVER was.
    make a simple test:
    1. put essentials on the server
    2. run plugin profiling
    3. get stunning result where your false info get dusted to the ground where essentials is shown to use less than "lightweight" plugins, such as commandbook, worldedit, royalcommands, and other plugins.
    why?
    because unused commands dont get loaded UNLESS they are used!
    please giving stop false info.

Tanite, mmorton89 and breezeyboy like this.
  18. Offline

breezeyboy

Post startup.log please

19. Offline

Mister_Fix

1.put essentials in plugin folder /CHECK
    2. run your server /CHECK
    3.get stunning result of 550 MB memory usage! /CHECK

20. Offline

Necrodoom

paste your plugin profiling then.
    unless you mean raw server usage, then, i majorly facepalm at you.
    theres absolutely no way a plugin uses 550MB usage alone.

21. Offline

MysteryManX

I hate AntiCheat, kept on kicking people with poor connections, and it'd keep spamming the "<username> has left the game" etc

22. Offline

hawkfalcon

There is no need for xAuth if online-mode=true. Which you said it was.

23. Offline

MyPictures

NeatMonster was also in the DevBukkit staff when he made NC+ and it doesn't even matter if someone is a Bukkit Admin or just a default user. Evenprime was also just a normal bukkit member like every other member here and he invented NoCheat xD

I'm not sure which of those 2 plugins uses more RAM, would be interesting to test.... hmmm
    asofold also added a data cleaner to NC+ to keep ram low on big servers, that needs testing also...

To Essentials:
    Its less ram intensive if you have 1 plugin handling everything then having plugins for each command. Essentials is pretty good for big servers, I like its storage system for the players.

To allocated memory/RAM:
    If you host a CB server you should know that Java uses VMs to run something. So for example if you start a VM and run CB in it then your OS (Windows/Mac/Linux) will allocate memory to that VM.

Lets for example say it allocates 500 MB Ram to it, if you watch your taskmanager now you will see that it uses 500 MB now but if you would take a look at CB it will be a lot less then this.
    A VM is a VirtualMachine (VirtualComputer). So if you want to get the real RAM usage then you have to check inside the Java VM, then you will get the real usage.

If you start your computer with 4 GB Ram then it will reserve those for itself but it wont use them completely until you open much apps or play a heavy game.

Also there are no plugins that use that insane much memory (that would be a leak then). Most memory will be used for the world itself, so if players walk around it will need more RAM to keep those chunks in the world. loaded.

Extra security if the "session-sealer" comes back again ;P

24. I'm using 53plugins with 20 of them are really big plugins i have 6players in my server right now and it says im using 240mb of ram . Lol this doesnt seem right

25. Offline

Jade

1. Cool story, already have it.
    2. Plugin profiling will do nothing if you don't have a fast enough processor, kiddo.
    3. No, it isn't false, at one point, it sure as hell did use that much. By the way, get a server with a reasonable amount of players online, it sure as hell will.

Also, it's not useless, and if you're going to be straight up aggressive, you shouldn't be here, as no one will like you.

26. Offline

Mister_Fix

:p major facepalm to me..... no plugins! joking i got 35 plugins and i suspect PlotMe :< but i cant delete coz my server is a plot server and also multi verse but i dont use it.... much ill put up a list of plugins tommorrow ...i need help to
    i got 32x BIT windows so i cant allocate to more then 1 GB

27. Offline

Necrodoom

im aggressive because its really is, plain bullshit.
    ive never seen even a SINGLE proof from someone that essentials IS using a big amount of resources, and every time im trying to get some valid data of these guys, they hide behind the saying of "it happened before!" without supplying reason of such either, except a single, validated minor bug report dating back in essentials for bukkit BETA 1.3 on admincraft subreddit.

28. Offline

sverre26

how can that little plugins use that mutch ram?
    i can have 51 players at the same time and i have over 50 plugins on a computer with 2,5 gb ram

29. A very small plugin can use any amount of ram. Strongly depends on what the plugin is doing...

30. Offline

omgitsmewazap

Duh, but if you think about the title it kind of gives the massive hint away. Essentials are essential to the server, if you want it to be managed in a all-in-one plugin then this is it. I think essentials is good as it provides a lot of small plugins in one, and as some people know smaller coded plugins can cause little errors. If essentials is a heavy plugin, which I think it is. I'd still choose it then having 10 different plugins doing different things, when essentials does it all in one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.