Introducing Recommended Builds

Discussion in 'Community News and Announcements' started by EvilSeph, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

With the recent move to http://dl.bukkit.org, we're happy to announce a change to our building system that people have been wanting for a while now: recommended builds. The way the new system will work is that every week or so we'll be picking a CraftBukkit build and marking it as recommended so that plugin developers have an idea of what build they should be up to date with.

Recommended versions will be what we consider a "stable" revision of CraftBukkit. This means that we expect plugin developers to support the latest Recommended version at the very least. Plugin developers then also have the option of developing and releasing for the latest builds to help us test and mold the API, but we cannot guarantee any form of stability with development builds.

Since we only just recently deployed the Recommended builds system, things will not work as we planned: it is highly likely plugin developers will not be caught up for a few days but we hope this change will provide our community with a more stable "release" cycle to work with.

The latest recommended build can always be found here:
    http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/list/rb/

With this link always pointing to the latest Recommended build download:
    http://cbukk.it/craftbukkit.jar

And here's an RSS feed for the Recommended Builds system that you can subscribe to for notifications:
    http://ci.bukkit.org/other/latest_recommended.rss

At the moment we have chosen to keep development builds available to the general public, but this may be changing in the future.

2. Offline

Grrbrr404

Please make a recommended version with new console enhancements :) i dont want to use dev builds any longer

3. Offline

Gizmo

Dude you gotta use better examples! We know coders dont have g/f's ;)

Keep up the good work, why does this crap always have to be about "why dont they give more while i dont do anything"

I've always thought being a server admin meant you had to work at stuff. I run tons of plugins on my server which requires a great amount of time to keep them updated and running / testing.

Admins of servers should do what I do, quit bitching and setup a second, "ghost" server to test plugins before release, then when you have a working suite port it over to the active server.

I'm sure some 12 year old will sit here and say "I dont have resources to setup a second server !*waaaaahahhhhhh*" Guess what, being an admin takes dedication too, not just copying plugins into a folder and restarting it.

Grow up! People work hard all day (including myself), we should be appreciative that they took the time to code plugins at all, god knows I dont have the patience for it.

Thanks to all the coders out there, without you, we'd still be rocking notch's vanilla servers!

Took it a little off post,

To finish;

Recommended Builds rock, and for the most part I've seen all plugin authors bringing their plugins up to date.

I'm not sure what the 'requirements' for a recommended build is however if once chose, you wait a few days before releasing/announcing it, perhaps you could first leak it to devs so they could be a bit ahead of the game when you announce it.?

Keep up the good work, and thanks for an awesome Server/Plugin guys!

4. Offline

tension69

I for one appreciate access to use the development builds. Although not to everyone's taste I believe they provide plugin developers a unique way of bug testing their code against the general direction of craftbukkit, via the feedback users like myself can give them by hours of playtesting, that they themselves could not possibly achieve.

I worked for a well known games publisher many moons ago, and I know that the levels I created wouldn't have been half as good as the finished articles had it not been for the 'beta' testers , that in essence, we the forum members here are.

If in future you decide not to publicly release development builds, I would like to put my name forward here and now to remain one of the privileged few.

Regards,

Tension69

5. Offline

iSushi

I do ._. Arguement is invalid!
    Does it help to say that my Girlfriend is a programmer as well? :)

6. Offline

EvilSeph

We've promoted a new Recommended Build: #493.

7. Wow, nice jump! Thanks for your dedication, devs! You rock!

Is it possible to post something about the breakers from 440->493 for noobs like me, perhaps, maybe? =)

8. Any chance that you can "recommend" the corresponding bukkit build? Makes it easier to find that going to the recommended craftbukkit build and then determining the corresponding bukkit build.

Also, I check the bukkit builds much more often than craftbukkit and missed the latest update.

9. Offline

Shade

http://ci.bukkit.org/job/dev-CraftBukkit/493/
    Read the upstream builds. That's what I'm using 'nyways.

10. Yea, I know. It would just make it easier to visualize what's changed in bukkit since the recommended built without referring to craftbukkit (which devs shouldn't have to do)

11. Offline

TnT

Recommended Build - 493 has been released. Changelog since last RB (440):

Code:
    CB #441 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Added easy locToBlock in Location
    CB #442 - CB: Temporary fix for teleportation
            - Bukkit:
    CB #443 - CB:
            - Bukkit: onPluginEnabled after plugin is enabled + same for onPluginDisabled
    CB #444 - CB: Much better console interaction. History, no more losing the command, colours, inline editing, etc. Shorter log output to console (but not to file)
            - Bukkit:
    CB #445 - CB: Seal. Ooohh oooh.
            - Bukkit:
    CB #446 - CB: Added ">" to input command line, separated it from output buffer properly
            - Bukkit:
    CB #447 - CB: All worlds should be saved on save-all. Player data should be saved when a save occurs.
            - Bukkit:
    CB #448 - CB: Fixed 'sign'- BlockFace (1!=l).
                              Properly handle PLAYER_ITEM and its clickedFace.
                              Startup time now reported in seconds, nanoseconds, Really?
                              Prevent movement event to be spammed for moving less than a pixel.
            - Bukkit:
    CB #449 - CB:
            - Bukkit: No longer supporting the TSLPC (inb4pitchforks)
    CB #450 - CB: More PLAYER_ITEM blockFace fixes of static fails; (1!=l) -- Thanks Scient for pointing it out
            - Bukkit:
    CB #451 - CB: Added command line option 'date-format' to control how dates are printed to console (not to log)
            - Bukkit:
    CB #452 - CB: Fixed empty console! Oops!
            - Bukkit:
    CB #453 - CB:
            - Bukkit: small change
    CB #454 - CB: Removed onCommand
            - Bukkit:
    CB #455 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Removed onPlayerCommand (PLAYER_COMMAND) (and fixed Fillr to stop using it)
    CB #456 - CB: Implemented chat recipients
            - Bukkit:
    CB #457 - CB: Catch errors loading plugins
            - Bukkit:
    CB #459 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Tweaks to command system to allow setting executors via plugins (no more ambiguous onCommand in plugins)
    CB #460 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Re-added default onCommand on plugins
    CB #461 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Case-insensitive commands
    CB #462 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Added Server.getPluginCommand
    CB #463 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Added JavaPlugin.getCommand
    CB #464 - CB: Removing debug statements.
            - Bukkit:
    CB #465 - CB: BUGFIX: Damage events should be using getDamage() to set damage.
            - Bukkit:
    CB #466 - CB:
            - Bukkit: PluginCommand getExecutor + javadocs
    CB #467 - CB:
    CB #468 - CB: Spiral teleporting! Wheeeee!
            - Bukkit:
    CB #471 - CB:
    CB #472 - CB: Hacky fix against block invulnerability
            - Bukkit:
    CB #473 - CB: - add BedBlock - implement BLOCK_INTERACT for beds
            - Bukkit:
    CB #474 - CB: implement World.getPlayers
            - Bukkit:
    CB #477 - CB: - fix VEHICLE_COLLISION_BLOCK event firing
            - Bukkit:
    CB #478 - CB: Sped up teleporting even more, + fixed isSneaking
            - Bukkit:
    CB #479 - CB: Added method to set spawn location
            - Bukkit:
    CB #480 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Added method to set spawn location
    CB #481 - CB: Let's handle (bwhaha) the Craft* entities a bit better.
            - Bukkit:
    CB #482 - CB: Fixed chat
            - Bukkit:
    CB #483 - CB: Ignore entity movement packets if distance == 0
            - Bukkit:
    CB #484 - CB: Synchronized and moved Hash classes
            - Bukkit:
    CB #485 - CB: limit chunk unloading to 50 per tick
            - Bukkit:
    CB #487 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Java 1.5 compat.
    CB #488 - CB: RedstoneChange event thrown then the redstone *changes* not when it stays the same :D
            - Bukkit:
    CB #489 - CB: Implement World.save and Server.savePlayers()
            - Bukkit:
    CB #490 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Add World.save() and Server.savePlayers();
    CB #491 - CB: Synchronized EntityTracking
            - Bukkit:
    CB #492 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Small change for CraftBukkit BlockFlowing
    CB #493 - CB: BlockFlowing NPE fix.
            - Bukkit:

12. Offline

anon

Did I see it wrong or build 520 was recomended for some minutes and sudenly it was unrecomended?

13. Offline

TnT

Probably did, but its no reason to worry. They are likely evaluating a new build to recommend.

14. Offline

EvilSeph

New Recommended Build: #522

15. Offline

TnT

Recommended Build - 522 has been released. Bukkit RB: 450. ScrapBukkit RB: 79. ChatBukkit RB: 38

Changelog since last RB (493):
    Code:
    CB #495 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Added entity.get/setMomentum
    CB #497 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Added a few null pointer checks and performed minor touchups (tried improving a few equals, clone and hashCode methods).
    CB #498 - CB: Velocity now sends updates to players
            - Bukkit:
    CB #499 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Deprecated momentum on player (remove tomorrow), added velocity
    CB #500 - CB: Refactor block events
            - Bukkit: Refactor block events
    CB #501 - CB: No Changes
            - Bukkit:
    CB #503 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Refactor block events
    CB #504 - CB: Fixed isChunkInUse()
            - Bukkit:
    CB #505 - CB: Regenerate and refresh chunk methods
            - Bukkit:
    CB #506 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Regenerate and refresh chunk methods
    CB #507 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Fixed Material constructor
    CB #508 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Adds basic plugin dependencies, courtesy of Raphfrk
    CB #509 - CB: Fixed BLOCK_CANBUILD never throwing
            - Bukkit:
    CB #510 - CB: Implemented LivingEntity.damage
            - Bukkit:
    CB #511 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Added damage(int) and damage(int, Entity) for
    CB #513 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Purged deprecated MobType and MobSpawner
    CB #514 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Don't throw commands if the plugin is disabled
    CB #517 - CB: No Changes
            - Bukkit:
    CB #518 - CB:
            - Bukkit: Reverted classloader changes by 1f0d89be27, now actually works! Again!
    CB #521 - CB: Fixed a minecraft exploit allowing anyone to pick their username
                  Fixed an exploit allowing item duplication upon death
                  Fixed the fix of the inventory dupe bug
            - Bukkit:
    CB #522 - CB: (Probably) fixed the sign exploit
            - Bukkit:

16. Offline

PlayerX

When I download buil 522 I still get #506 only , when 526 - just #511 what is wrong ?

17. Offline

EvilSeph

New Recommended Build: #526

This build contains exploit fixes and an update is highly recommended. Other than these exploit fixes, nothing else should be affected.

18. Offline

TnT

You are reading the build number wrong. The bold number below is the build number:
    2011-03-08 21:51:12 [INFO] This server is running Craftbukkit version git-Bukkit-0.0.0-506-g4e9d448-b522jnks (MC: 1.3)

19. Offline

Plague

O come on, I just updated my plugins! :)

20. Offline

TnT

Recommended Build - 526 has been released. Bukkit RB: 451. ScrapBukkit RB: 80. ChatBukkit RB: 39

Highly recommended that you update to this build as it fixes a few exploits a few bugs and should not cause plugins to break.

Changelog since last RB (522):

CB #523 - CB: Sign exploit fix is spammy no more. Probably.
    Fixed crash with bad holding slot
    - Bukkit:
    CB #524 - CB: Record invalid ItemInHandIndex packet
    - Bukkit:
    CB #525 - CB: Implemented LivingEntity.getEyeLocation()
    Fixed exploit allowing people to place blocks anywhere
    - Bukkit:
    CB #526 - CB: No changes.

21. Offline

EvilSeph

New Recommended Build: #527
    An important bug fix. Again, if plugins have been keeping up with our previous RBs, nothing should be broken. However, please test and update your release posts accordingly.

22. Offline

xZise

Ehr I don't get the advantage of RB. RB 493 and 522 are reasonable choices, but now you released 4 recommended builds within 25 hours? I thought the advantage of RBs are that they are fewer so the developers don't have to test each build if a plugin work?

It is okay if you remove serious exploits/bugs, but doesn't this many recommendations destroy the sense of recommended builds? Now I could test 4 more builds if my plugin doesn't broke (okay according to the changelog it shouldn't).

And don't get me wrong, that I don't want your fixes, but if the plugin should support at least one of the last three RB but they are within 24 hours published it is impossible for every plugin developer to keep this promise.

Fabian

23. Offline

TnT

Recommended Build - 527 has been released. Bukkit RB: 451. ScrapBukkit RB: 80. ChatBukkit RB: 39

Changelog since last RB (526):
    Code:
    CB #527 - CB: Fixed LOGIN packet issue
            - Bukkit:

[MERGETIME="1299770049"][/MERGETIME]
    Recommended Build - 531 has been released.
    Changelog since last RB (527):

CB #528 - CB: Changed block cache to soft references (should help a lot with memory usage)
    - Bukkit:
    CB #529 - CB: Attempt to fix console crash
    - Bukkit:
    CB #530 - CB: Slight tweak to EntityPlayer to add toString for name+position for error tracking
    - Bukkit:
    CB #531 - CB: Attempt to fix double disconnects
    - Bukkit:

24. Offline

M1sT3rM4n

By the way, I suggest that you only star the latest recommended builds, otherwise people will get confused on which one to get.

25. Offline

EvilSeph

The latest Recommended Build is 527. Anything newer was due to an issue we had with our build promotion system.

26. Offline

Andre_9796

Isnt the latest recommended 531?

27. Offline

Jonbas

What's going on? 522 and 527 were released in the same day, they're both RBs?

28. Offline

Plague

Just some unexpected security bugs.

29. Offline

Anoniempje

The way the new system will work is that every week or so we'll be picking a CraftBukkit build and marking it as recommended so that plugin developers have an idea of what build they should be up to date with.

4 in two days?

I'm worried you recommend builds WAY to fast. Slow down with recommending builds. I worry that plugin developers and serveradmins will lose trust in this system. I worry that it will fail. I worry that shit will hit the fan and the ripples will become waves and the project will get flooded with crap.
    I like this software, i want to see it released, not fail because of haste or bad management.

Please. Start getting serious before its too late.

30. Offline

Plague

Have you even read what I posted or at least evilseph's explanation?

31. Offline

Anoniempje

Thats why i posted.
    You gave an explanation for the things that happened. But what about the future? What are the conditions for a RB? Released? Working? Exploit Free? How long is there between release and recommended? What can some one check in that time? Or is it random and hope for the best? That's how it appears to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.