Introducing Recommended Builds

Discussion in 'Community News and Announcements' started by EvilSeph, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

With the recent move to http://dl.bukkit.org, we're happy to announce a change to our building system that people have been wanting for a while now: recommended builds. The way the new system will work is that every week or so we'll be picking a CraftBukkit build and marking it as recommended so that plugin developers have an idea of what build they should be up to date with.

Recommended versions will be what we consider a "stable" revision of CraftBukkit. This means that we expect plugin developers to support the latest Recommended version at the very least. Plugin developers then also have the option of developing and releasing for the latest builds to help us test and mold the API, but we cannot guarantee any form of stability with development builds.

Since we only just recently deployed the Recommended builds system, things will not work as we planned: it is highly likely plugin developers will not be caught up for a few days but we hope this change will provide our community with a more stable "release" cycle to work with.

The latest recommended build can always be found here:
    http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/craftbukkit/list/rb/

With this link always pointing to the latest Recommended build download:
    http://cbukk.it/craftbukkit.jar

And here's an RSS feed for the Recommended Builds system that you can subscribe to for notifications:
    http://ci.bukkit.org/other/latest_recommended.rss

At the moment we have chosen to keep development builds available to the general public, but this may be changing in the future.

2. Offline

Plague

Great news! Thanks!

3. Offline

LucidLethargy

Thank you for finally putting this out, it's been long overdue!

4. Offline

Padeius Etoh

This is totally awesome, Thank you.

5. Offline

anon

Really hope this work as expected. It would really really help if we could maintain a build for a whole week.

6. Offline

EvilSeph

I realise this is in an odd place, but I don't feel that it fits on the frontpage. As I'm generally the one that breaks news to and communicates with the community, it is generally a good idea to Follow me on here.

7. Offline

Krispy

A small note on the front page would be warranted.

8. Offline

mrgreaper

cool idea
    could you tell me which recmanded build is 360 though ? its the one i need to be able to update my server and keep the plugins we have happy lol
    was staying awake waiting for the build numbers to be corrected from 1 to 9 to the actual builds but i really need to sleep soon

9. Offline

EvilSeph

Hm, so I've devised a better way to handle things, which is reflected in the first post. I'll need to talk to @lukegb, but I think I have a winner.

This way, we don't need the Recommended builds job, so we don't need Recommended build numbers and thus there is no more confusion between what Recommended build corresponds to what CraftBukkit build.

10. Offline

Gorfob

Website appears to be down.

11. Offline

zajacmp3

This site does not really seems to work at all :)

Is it temporary or is it me? I have 504 Gateway Time-out

12. Offline

Acren

Doesn't work for anyone by the looks of it. I'm in kind of a stuck position right now.

13. Offline

lukegb

Soooo not down.

I totally didn't forget to bump up the max heap size from 128M to 512M for release :p

14. Offline

xCrap

Is this some kind of Chuck Norris Fan Club Website? :)

Well, if it is.....

I love it :)

15. Offline

mrgreaper

REQUEST
    ok so the build numbers have changed,
    i need build 405 for this plugin 356+ for that one ohhh that dont work with 406 or above arghhhhhhhh

yep recomanded builds will stop this and thats greatly appreciated but i suggest 2 forum changes

1) move all plugins from release to submission until the have the recomanded build in there titlle or description (this will make it easier for users to know if a plugin works and should stop devs from having incompatable build problem headaches etc)

2) make a plugin beta thread for devs that want to release plugins for dev builds (unrecommanded ones) these can always be moved to release when the dev build becomes recommanded build

if you make it a rule that the build be placed in the topic title perhaps you could use a script to move them automaticly to the right section? the forum seems rather advanced

16. Offline

Eggplant!

YAY! Because the different build numbers was going to cause mass hysteria.

17. Offline

Malvient

I hope this makes maintaining a server less painful, and I pray you guys do something to encourage plugin developers to develop towards the recommended build instead of the latest dev build, such as only listing plugins that support the recommended version.

18. Offline

nossr50

Did the version numbering system change?
    Seems to be recommending version 51.
    Won't that be a little confusing?

19. Offline

Vittek

Wait what? What was wrong with the old system? [​IMG] Now recommended releases start with their own number? While the normal releases continue with 400? Well not confusing at all! Why not just flag normal release numbers as recommended? Or am I not seeing the grand picture of this?

20. Offline

xTom

This so badly needs an acronym, how about 'RB'?

21. Offline

Brettflan

Uh, not exactly. They initially did it that way, but that's now how it works now. I'm not sure why they still have the recommended-CraftBukkit job listed, but it's not what you're looking for.
    As the first post in this topic indicates:
    You'll see build #53, which will be replaced by build #4xx when the next one is chosen for "recommended" status. They updated the build # on the new system to be in range of the old system after #53 was done.

22. Offline

Vittek

Ahh I see. So it continues like before and the smaller numbers were a temporary thing. Thanks for clearing that up :)

23. Offline

TnT

Is there a recommended build of ScrapBukkit to go with it?

24. Offline

EvilSeph

Exactly. Although you shouldn't be able to see the Recommended build job (recommended-CraftBukkit) anymore.

25. Offline

bradcland

Thank you, trying to find a stable CB build and working plugins for that build was a pain in the butt. Hopefully the preview release will be out soon with built in permissions.

26. Offline

pixelbat

and I thought Android was fragmented :|

27. Offline

NathanWolf

Wow, sorry I missed this! This is such a great idea- thanks for putting this together.

28. Offline

pixelbat

Why not toughen up the policies on developers to reduce the fragmentation and confusion? Give them X amount of days to update to the latest RB or they are delisted from a recommended compatible plugin list and thrown back into the plugin submission pool, or even another pool that is "untested/incompatible plugins" or something of that nature. I can't speak for other server admins, but I'm still running on CB 2xx, because it's so much of a headache to play wack-a-mole with plugins working with X release of CB. Seems there has got to be a better way of doing this.

29. Offline

ahmeni

Definitely glad to see this! Having a recommended build to compile and distribute against will be a boon for the community. Is there something a plugin can expose for an external utility to read and extract what recommended build it was built against? It would be neat to set up an automated system to check compatibility with builds.

@pixelbat - You have to be careful when it comes to "toughening up" on developers as if you push too much it can be too easy to just walk away from a project.

30. Offline

pixelbat

@ahmeni - Perhaps the wrong wordage on my part. It would be nice though if there was a cleaner policy system on plugins being flagged as working / non working for different builds etc. Maybe something similar to how wowinterface.com displays WoW addons... ex: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/cat94.html

On second thought though, it would probably be a lot of work to keep something like this maintained until there is an actual plugin repository on the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.