Inactive [INFO] Help 3 - a Smarter /help [1060]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by jascotty2, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Offline

jascotty2

Help - The Smart /help Menu
    Version: 0.3.2
    Download: Help.jar

This is a new thread for the Help version that i maintain
    (tkelly hasn't been on for about a month as of this submission, and no updates to his version since 531)

Version 0.3 is (finally) out! :D

(any suggestions for what to work on next are welcome ;) )

Help has support for both GroupManager and Permissions, so you can use either one. You can also use neither if you so choose. Help will not force you to any which one.

What is Help?
    Help is a clean and advanced /help menu. Help separates "main" commands from secondary ones, allowing you to have a clean initial menu, but still able to dig down and get access to every possible command.

It is also the first /help menu to take into account permissions; some commands simply aren't applicable to all users, so those commands should clearly not be visible to those users. Now, default users' help menus won't be cluttered with commands for admin tools they have no way of using.

Scroll down for a preview, or see below for how to hook into Help :)

Help Commands
    /help (#) : Shows the /help menu.
    /help http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/ (#)[/I][/B]:[/FONT] Shows all the help entries for [I][plugin][/I]. [B][FONT=courier new]/help plugins[/FONT][/B] : Shows a list of all the plugins with Help entries. [FONT=courier new][B]/help search [I][query][/I][/B][/FONT] : Searches for [I][query][/I] within it' entries. [B][FONT=courier new]/help reload[/FONT][/B] : Reloads the entries from ExtraHelp.yml. [SIZE=5][B][FONT=helvetica]Plugin Support[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] Help requires that plugins tell Help about the commands they use. This makes sure that the commands and permissions are accurate and precise (rather than trying to auto fetch commands). Because it's ridiculous to assume that all plugins will instantly jump up and support Help (we can dream can't we? :D), server admins can mimic this behavior by supplying... [SIZE=5][B][FONT=helvetica]Custom ExtraHelp/[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] I'll also cover how you can add custom commands to the /help menu here. Each command has a "name", this name is only for you, as Help doesn't care about it (they just need to be unique names). In the following example the names are 'versions', 'pluginversions', 'kick' and 'essentialswho'. Within these Nodes you [FONT=Georgia][U][I][B]need[/B][/I][/U][/FONT] [B][SIZE=4]2[/SIZE][/B] things: command, description, [SIZE=2][S]and plugin[/S][/SIZE]. These should be self-explanatory. The two optional pieces are "main" and "permissions" [INDENT=1]The previously required "plugin" node has been replaced by the filename itself.[/INDENT] [INDENT=1]so if you have entries for "Minecraft", put those entries within "Minecraft.yml" in help's ExtreHelp folder.[/INDENT] [INDENT=1]If you have many commands & don't want them cluttering the same file (like worldedit), you can put them in a folder instead (the folder name will be the name used for plugin)[/INDENT] If you specify a "main", you can choose whether or not the command is important enough to show up on the main /help menu; if you leave it blank or skip it, it will default to 'false' If you specify a "visible", you can specify whether the command shows up at all. This is useful for overriding other plugins' built-in Help support (in case you don't want all the commands); if you leave it blank or skip it, it will default to 'true'. If you specify a "permissions", you can choose what is necessary for the user to see the command; and leaving it blank will allow all to see. So in the case of /version, all users can use it, so no permissions. But with /who, you have to have essentials.list, so that was specified. There is also a special permission case, "OP". By specifying this, this will require the user to be an OP to use the command (as is the case with Minecraft's built-in /kick command). [code] versions: command: version description: Show the version of Minecraft and CB plugin: CraftBukkit main: true pluginversions: command: version [plugin] description: Shows the version of [plugin] plugin: CraftBukkit kick: command: kick [player] description: Kicks [player] from the server plugin: Minecraft main: true permissions: OP essentialswho: command: who description: Show who's one the server plugin: Essentials main: true permissions: essentials.list [/code] [B][SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica]How To Hook into Help.[/FONT][/SIZE][/B] [spoiler="API"] Hooking into Help is extremely easy, and very similar to hooking into any permission-plugin. When your plugin is starting up, just grab the Help plugin and register your commands with Help's registerCommand() method; that's it! Here's the API and some examples. If you'd like a concrete example, check out the relevant source code from [URL='https://github.com/tkelly910/MyHome/blob/master/src/main/java/me/taylorkelly/myhome/HomeHelp.java'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]MyHome[/COLOR][/URL] and [URL='https://github.com/tkelly910/BigBrother/blob/master/src/main/java/me/taylorkelly/bigbrother/BBHelp.java'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]BigBrother[/COLOR][/URL]. [SIZE=4][FONT=helvetica][B]Help API[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [code] /** * Registers the given command, description, and plugin. * There are no permissions, so all users can see it. * It is also not a "main" help entry. * @return Whether or not it was successful */ public boolean registerCommand(String command, String description, Plugin plugin); /** * Registers the given command, description, and plugin. * There are no permissions, so all users can see it. * You can set whether the plugin is a "main" entry or not * @return Whether or not it was successful */ public boolean registerCommand(String command, String description, Plugin plugin, boolean main); /** * Registers the given command, description, and plugin. * You can specify one or more permissions. * If a user has permissions for at least (1) of them, he can see this command * It is also not a "main" help entry. * @return Whether or not it was successful */ public boolean registerCommand(String command, String description, Plugin plugin, String... permissions); /** * Registers the given command, description, and plugin. * You can specify one or more permissions. * If a user has permissions for at least (1) of them, he can see this command * You can set whether the plugin is a "main" entry or not * @return Whether or not it was successful */ public boolean registerCommand(String command, String description, Plugin plugin, boolean main, String... permissions); /** * Gets the help text associated with this command * @param command the command to lookup * @return help text, or null if none */ public String getHelp(String command); /** * Gets all of the commands registered with this plugin * @param plugin plugin to lookup * @return list of commands */ public ArrayList getPluginCommands(String plugin); [/code] [SIZE=4][FONT=helvetica][B]Basic Example[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [code] // plugin is the instance of your Plugin registering the commands Plugin test = plugin.getServer().getPluginManager().getPlugin("Help"); if (test != null) { Logger log = Logger.getLogger("Minecraft"); Help helpPlugin = ((Help) test); // Registers a main command. But all users will be able to see it helpPlugin.registerCommand("home help", "Help for all MyHome commands", plugin, true); // Registers a secondary command to our plugin (MyHome), but the user has to have the permission to see it helpPlugin.registerCommand("home", "Go home young chap!", plugin, "myhome.home.basic.home"); log.log(Level.INFO, "'Help' support enabled."); } else { Logger log = Logger.getLogger("Minecraft"); log.log(Level.WARNING, "'Help' isn't detected. No /help support."); } [/code] [SIZE=4][FONT=helvetica][B]Slightly More Advanced Example[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [code] Help helpPlugin = ((Help) test); String[] permissions = new String[]{"bb.admin.watch", "bb.admin.info", "bb.admin.rollback", "bb.admin.cleanse"}; // If a user has any one of those permissions, they'll be able to see /bb help. A main command helpPlugin.registerCommand("bb help", "Help for all BigBrother commands", plugin, true, permissions); // If a user has "bb.admin.watch" they'll be able to see /bb watch [player]. A secondary command helpPlugin.registerCommand("bb watch [player]", "Toggle the watch on [player]", plugin, permissions[0]); [/code] [/spoiler] [FONT=helvetica][SIZE=5][B]Plugins with Help Support[/B][/SIZE][/FONT] Here's a quick list of plugins (and version) that have built in Help support. - MyHome v1.9.2+ - MyWarp v1.10.3+ - BigBrother v1.6.4+ - Citizens v1.0+ - General 3.1+ - TelePlus 1.6+ - Pixl 1.3+ - Vampire 1.3+ - BetterShop 1.6.2+ - Wormhole-X-Treme 0.812+ - Tele++ v1.3.4 [FONT=helvetica][SIZE=5][B]ExtraHelp Packs[/B][/SIZE][/FONT] [URL='https://github.com/FabianN/MC-Bukkit-HelpExtra'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]FabianN put together a repository of entries for your ExtraHelp/ that represent other plugins' commands.[/COLOR][/URL] It's really awesome and was helped put together by others from the community. [SIZE=5][B][FONT=helvetica]Preview[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AE9cG.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cII2X.jpg[/IMG] [SIZE=5][B][FONT=helvetica]Changelog[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] Version 0.3.2 - 7/21/11 [LIST] [*]lowered chat fill size.. should fix some wrapping issues [/LIST] Version 0.3.1 - 7/7/11 [LIST] [*]fixed NullPointerException on entry save when no permissions [/LIST] Version 0.3 - 7/6/11 [LIST] [*]fixed loading help & plugin help registering before plugin onEnable [/LIST] [spoiler="Changelog"] Version 0.3 beta2 - 7/4/11 [LIST] [*]plugin console output fixed [*]console output width changed for when running windows [*]plugin help override can be disabled (default) [LIST] [*]plugin help registering is ignored if the command exists already [*]alternatively, can be disabled completely [/LIST] [*]saving of registered commands can be disabled (also, now saves to file, not "_orig" files) [*]ExtraHelp now uses filename as plugin name (plugin field no longer used) [*]added formatting options: [LIST] [*]shortenEntries : can show in old, one-line style [*]chat line (useWordWrap:false) - minecraft chat wraps to next line [*]columns (useWordWrap:true) - command on left, description in word wrap line(s) [LIST] [*]can be right-aligned (wordWrapRight:true) [/LIST] [/LIST] [*]plugin entries can be set to not sorted (listed in the order found in the help file) [*]"/help reload" is now op-only [*]"ExtraHelp.yml" will now be converted (again.. seems to have been removed somewhere..) [*]ExtraHelp supports a multi-directory structure (like FabiaN's help package) (plugin name will be the directory name) [*]improved node error messages when loading [*]fixed permissions 3x illegalAccessErrors on load (and api errors) [/LIST] Version 0.2.4.1 - 4/4/11 [LIST] [*]another illegalAccessError (hopefully) resolved [/LIST] Version 0.2.4 - 4/2/11 [LIST] [*]updated an illegalAccess error that was occurring in 617 [/LIST] Version 0.2.3 - 3/25/11 [LIST] [*]fixed a null pointer exception in plugin help [/LIST] Version 0.2.2 - 3/24/11 [LIST] [*]various null pointer fixes (could have nullpointerException on load without) [*]improved help listing [*]added console help support [/LIST] [SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica]Before i started maintaining: [/FONT][/SIZE] [I][SIZE=12px][SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica][B][URL='http://taylorkelly.me/plugins/Help/Help%20v0-2.zip'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]Help v0.2 [531][/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][I]Released 15 Mar, 2011[/I][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Built with latest recommend build (531)[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Multiline support. Descriptions of commands can now be as long as you'd like.[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Separated ExtraHelp.yml into separate YML files (for each plugin, etc).[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Plugin overriding. Don't like how a plugin has their Help support? Completely customize their entries.[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica][B][URL='http://taylorkelly.me/plugins/Help/Help%20v0-1-1.zip'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]Help v0.1.1 [493][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][I]Released 6 Mar, 2011[/I][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Built with latest recommend build (493)[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Updated for GroupManager 1.0[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica][B][URL='http://taylorkelly.me/plugins/Help/Help%20v0-1.zip'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]Help v0.1 [440][/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][I]Released 28 Feb, 2011[/I][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Intial Release[/SIZE][/I] [\spoiler]/

2. Offline

LordJason

Could you please post this plugin's permission nodes in the OP.

3. Offline

TwoPlayer

I Have a Problem!
    In my serverlog is written:
    Show Spoiler

Code:
    21:40:32 [SEVERE] [HELP] Error!
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at me.taylorkelly.help.HelpLoader.load(HelpLoader.java:35)
            at me.taylorkelly.help.Help.onEnable(Help.java:39)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:126)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:920)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:278)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:173)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:156)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.e(MinecraftServer.java:297)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:284)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.init(MinecraftServer.java:152)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:348)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:417)

can someone help me?

P.S.: sry for my bad English I'm german

4. Offline

MonketFist

please update this plugin it make life in minecraft so much better ill donate 20 bucks for a update XD

jascotty2 likes this.
  5. Offline

huniper

This is what I get at startup:

Code:
    2011-10-01 17:36:43 [SEVERE] Error occurred while enabling Help v0.3.2 (Is it up to date?): null
        at me.taylorkelly.help.HelpLoader.load(HelpLoader.java:87)
        at me.taylorkelly.help.Help.onEnable(Help.java:37)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:920)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:278)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:173)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:156)

6. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

Hm. No idea then. I think I've seen that error before actually.

7. Offline

Juze

Is there a permission just to use the /help command? It seems dumb, but I want it. Like, "help.use". For now, I had to remove this plugin because it also reveals rest of my plugins I use.

PS: Used AutoHelp with this plugin.

8. Offline

Bjourk

@FabianN
    Here are some more ExtraHelps for the archive.
    Thanks so much for keeping that up!

@FabianN
    Also, Help found errors in two of the WorldEdit ExtraHelps, which I corrected.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
    ledhead900 and TwoPlayer like this.
  9. Offline

InflamedSebi

Code:
    2011-10-10 10:27:46 [SEVERE] Error occurred while enabling Help v0.3.2 (Is it up to date?): null
        at me.taylorkelly.help.HelpLoader.load(HelpLoader.java:89)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:941)
        at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:280)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:174)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:157)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.reload(CraftServer.java:416)
        at org.bukkit.Bukkit.reload(Bukkit.java:182)
        at org.bukkit.command.defaults.ReloadCommand.execute(ReloadCommand.java:22)
        at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:163)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:358)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:354)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.b(MinecraftServer.java:506)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:485)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:374)
    Where is the problem? plugin is up to date ... isnt it?
    ------------------
    works all fine if i deleted the Extrahelp Folder
    ------------------
    Is was the World Guard yml .... but no idea why ...

10. Offline

huniper

I found the cause of the error there were problems with two of my extra help files.(WorldGuard and weregion) I sorted it out by a process of elimination, now everything is working great!

I have enclosed the corrected working files. if anyone needs them

Attached Files:

11. Offline

TwoPlayer

Show Spoiler

Code:
    [SEVERE] [HELP] Error!
            at me.taylorkelly.help.HelpLoader.load(HelpLoader.java:35)
            at me.taylorkelly.help.Help.onEnable(Help.java:39)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:941)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.enablePlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:280)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:174)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:157)

Can someone help me i have all updatet extrahelps and autohelp but i have this error -.-

12. Offline

huniper

Try using the two files that I posted yesterday and see if that fixes it.

13. Offline

TwoPlayer

the error is still there! :(
    P.S.: i have found datas like "DayJobs_orig.yml" can they make an error?

14. Offline

belvedereb

I'm having the same issue. The error is still there, and now I get this one:

Code:
    2011-11-05 11:33:17 [SEVERE] [HELP] Error loading WorldEdit/weclip.yml
    while scanning for the next token
    found character     '\t' that cannot start any token
     in "<reader>", line 7, column 1:

^

2011-11-05 11:33:17 [WARNING] [HELP] Help entry node "expandvert" is missing a description in WorldEdit/wesel.yml

15. Offline

Lathanael

For the last error:

DO NEVER use a Tabulator in a YAML file. It only allows spaces to intend things!!
    In other words check weclip.yml with Notepad++ or any other good Texteditor which can show characters for whitespace and search for any tabs used in the file and remove them/replace them with spaces. The one posted above should be on line 7 in the file!

16. Offline

belvedereb

Thanks! That fixed the error. I'd used the file huniper had posted and didn't really look at them.
    But it's still showing all users help for every command available, even ones they don't have access to. Possibly an issue with PEX?

17. Offline

Hiukuss

I receive this error when I /reload my server, but the plugin works just fine. And if the server restarts the first user to type /help I get an error from help stating something about Permissions, but it still works.
    Code:
    11:53:06 [SEVERE] Error occurred while enabling Help v0.3.2 (Is it up to date?): null
            at me.taylorkelly.help.HelpLoader.load(HelpLoader.java:89)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPlugin.setEnabled(JavaPlugin.java:183)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.enablePlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:957)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugin(CraftServer.java:176)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.enablePlugins(CraftServer.java:159)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.reload(CraftServer.java:422)
            at org.bukkit.Bukkit.reload(Bukkit.java:186)
            at org.bukkit.command.defaults.ReloadCommand.execute(ReloadCommand.java:22)
            at org.bukkit.command.SimpleCommandMap.dispatch(SimpleCommandMap.java:163)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:364)
            at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.dispatchCommand(CraftServer.java:360)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.b(MinecraftServer.java:553)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.w(MinecraftServer.java:530)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:414)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:457)
    Can I fix this error myself?

18. Offline

xeNium

No permissions.node? Please use DevBukkit to make your document easier to be understood?

Sir, can you make the plugins can read groupmanager and the plugins? So it automaticly writing itself 'n' we just need to edit it little If there is wrong.

19. Offline

Bjourk

Looks like it's time for another fork...

20. Offline

jascotty2

maybe..
    i have worked on it, but it's been put in the fridge until my current classes are over
    sorry.. hate to leave (this plugin needs updating, i agree), but it'd be worse to ignore school work ;)
    (i hope to return once i have everything here sorted out & settled down again)
    if anyone does want to help out with a fork, i pushed the new version here: https://github.com/jascotty2/Help/tree/experimental

Don Redhorse and Bjourk like this.
  21. Offline

Bjourk

Thank you, sir.
    As long as it still works, I don't mind using the old version but it looks like people are starting to have problems. I'm pretty sure this plugin makes my top five list of most important plugins for any bukkit server because of how helpful it is to the players. Good luck with school and I hope your version keeps working till you get the time to update!

22. Offline

Lathanael

If you want, AdminCmd is providing the same featuers ars this plugin (an a lot more, which can be deactivated if not needed). You can even use the same files!

23. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

AdminCmd is also feature-bloated while this is simple and focused.

24. Offline

Lathanael

As i already said, you can FULLY DISABLE every single aspect of AdminCmd you do not like! (And it is not as bloated as CommandBook or Essantials imo!)

25. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

That doesn't make it any less bloated. But you're right, it's not as bad as Essentials; at least all its features are commands, for example. I think it's probably a little worse than CommandBook though.

Disclaimer: This post is written without knowledge of any evolution those three plugins have gone through in the past two months or so.

26. Offline

Lathanael

Many commands do not make a Plugin bloated imo, but that is a personal view on things. Other plugins with WAY less commands/features can take the same amount of CPU, Memory etc as AdminCmd, so do other take less ofc. !
    But i think it is most likely better to have one single Plugin instead of 15.

27. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

Bloated means having too many features, so yes, many commands make a plugin bloated (unless they really are all closely related commands). I'd say even General is a little bloated, honestly, though I've tried to avoid it. <_<

28. Offline

Bjourk

Will this plugin have a BukkitDev page?

29. Offline

jascotty2

i plan on it, but once i've cleaned it up to my higher standards...
    (i believe it's a mess right now ;) )

Zone likes this.
  30. Offline

tmad40blue

Please do! It's the best help plugin I've used and it's a shame that it hasn't been taken care of. I would love to see an update!

31. Offline

fread2281

Can we have an config option to change the color?