Inactive [INFO] Help 3 - a Smarter /help [1060]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by jascotty2, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Offline

jascotty2

Help - The Smart /help Menu
    Version: 0.3.2
    Download: Help.jar

This is a new thread for the Help version that i maintain
    (tkelly hasn't been on for about a month as of this submission, and no updates to his version since 531)

Version 0.3 is (finally) out! :D

(any suggestions for what to work on next are welcome ;) )

Help has support for both GroupManager and Permissions, so you can use either one. You can also use neither if you so choose. Help will not force you to any which one.

What is Help?
    Help is a clean and advanced /help menu. Help separates "main" commands from secondary ones, allowing you to have a clean initial menu, but still able to dig down and get access to every possible command.

It is also the first /help menu to take into account permissions; some commands simply aren't applicable to all users, so those commands should clearly not be visible to those users. Now, default users' help menus won't be cluttered with commands for admin tools they have no way of using.

Scroll down for a preview, or see below for how to hook into Help :)

Help Commands
    /help (#) : Shows the /help menu.
    /help http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/ (#)[/I][/B]:[/FONT] Shows all the help entries for [I][plugin][/I]. [B][FONT=courier new]/help plugins[/FONT][/B] : Shows a list of all the plugins with Help entries. [FONT=courier new][B]/help search [I][query][/I][/B][/FONT] : Searches for [I][query][/I] within it' entries. [B][FONT=courier new]/help reload[/FONT][/B] : Reloads the entries from ExtraHelp.yml. [SIZE=5][B][FONT=helvetica]Plugin Support[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] Help requires that plugins tell Help about the commands they use. This makes sure that the commands and permissions are accurate and precise (rather than trying to auto fetch commands). Because it's ridiculous to assume that all plugins will instantly jump up and support Help (we can dream can't we? :D), server admins can mimic this behavior by supplying... [SIZE=5][B][FONT=helvetica]Custom ExtraHelp/[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] I'll also cover how you can add custom commands to the /help menu here. Each command has a "name", this name is only for you, as Help doesn't care about it (they just need to be unique names). In the following example the names are 'versions', 'pluginversions', 'kick' and 'essentialswho'. Within these Nodes you [FONT=Georgia][U][I][B]need[/B][/I][/U][/FONT] [B][SIZE=4]2[/SIZE][/B] things: command, description, [SIZE=2][S]and plugin[/S][/SIZE]. These should be self-explanatory. The two optional pieces are "main" and "permissions" [INDENT=1]The previously required "plugin" node has been replaced by the filename itself.[/INDENT] [INDENT=1]so if you have entries for "Minecraft", put those entries within "Minecraft.yml" in help's ExtreHelp folder.[/INDENT] [INDENT=1]If you have many commands & don't want them cluttering the same file (like worldedit), you can put them in a folder instead (the folder name will be the name used for plugin)[/INDENT] If you specify a "main", you can choose whether or not the command is important enough to show up on the main /help menu; if you leave it blank or skip it, it will default to 'false' If you specify a "visible", you can specify whether the command shows up at all. This is useful for overriding other plugins' built-in Help support (in case you don't want all the commands); if you leave it blank or skip it, it will default to 'true'. If you specify a "permissions", you can choose what is necessary for the user to see the command; and leaving it blank will allow all to see. So in the case of /version, all users can use it, so no permissions. But with /who, you have to have essentials.list, so that was specified. There is also a special permission case, "OP". By specifying this, this will require the user to be an OP to use the command (as is the case with Minecraft's built-in /kick command). [code] versions: command: version description: Show the version of Minecraft and CB plugin: CraftBukkit main: true pluginversions: command: version [plugin] description: Shows the version of [plugin] plugin: CraftBukkit kick: command: kick [player] description: Kicks [player] from the server plugin: Minecraft main: true permissions: OP essentialswho: command: who description: Show who's one the server plugin: Essentials main: true permissions: essentials.list [/code] [B][SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica]How To Hook into Help.[/FONT][/SIZE][/B] [spoiler="API"] Hooking into Help is extremely easy, and very similar to hooking into any permission-plugin. When your plugin is starting up, just grab the Help plugin and register your commands with Help's registerCommand() method; that's it! Here's the API and some examples. If you'd like a concrete example, check out the relevant source code from [URL='https://github.com/tkelly910/MyHome/blob/master/src/main/java/me/taylorkelly/myhome/HomeHelp.java'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]MyHome[/COLOR][/URL] and [URL='https://github.com/tkelly910/BigBrother/blob/master/src/main/java/me/taylorkelly/bigbrother/BBHelp.java'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]BigBrother[/COLOR][/URL]. [SIZE=4][FONT=helvetica][B]Help API[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [code] /** * Registers the given command, description, and plugin. * There are no permissions, so all users can see it. * It is also not a "main" help entry. * @return Whether or not it was successful */ public boolean registerCommand(String command, String description, Plugin plugin); /** * Registers the given command, description, and plugin. * There are no permissions, so all users can see it. * You can set whether the plugin is a "main" entry or not * @return Whether or not it was successful */ public boolean registerCommand(String command, String description, Plugin plugin, boolean main); /** * Registers the given command, description, and plugin. * You can specify one or more permissions. * If a user has permissions for at least (1) of them, he can see this command * It is also not a "main" help entry. * @return Whether or not it was successful */ public boolean registerCommand(String command, String description, Plugin plugin, String... permissions); /** * Registers the given command, description, and plugin. * You can specify one or more permissions. * If a user has permissions for at least (1) of them, he can see this command * You can set whether the plugin is a "main" entry or not * @return Whether or not it was successful */ public boolean registerCommand(String command, String description, Plugin plugin, boolean main, String... permissions); /** * Gets the help text associated with this command * @param command the command to lookup * @return help text, or null if none */ public String getHelp(String command); /** * Gets all of the commands registered with this plugin * @param plugin plugin to lookup * @return list of commands */ public ArrayList getPluginCommands(String plugin); [/code] [SIZE=4][FONT=helvetica][B]Basic Example[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [code] // plugin is the instance of your Plugin registering the commands Plugin test = plugin.getServer().getPluginManager().getPlugin("Help"); if (test != null) { Logger log = Logger.getLogger("Minecraft"); Help helpPlugin = ((Help) test); // Registers a main command. But all users will be able to see it helpPlugin.registerCommand("home help", "Help for all MyHome commands", plugin, true); // Registers a secondary command to our plugin (MyHome), but the user has to have the permission to see it helpPlugin.registerCommand("home", "Go home young chap!", plugin, "myhome.home.basic.home"); log.log(Level.INFO, "'Help' support enabled."); } else { Logger log = Logger.getLogger("Minecraft"); log.log(Level.WARNING, "'Help' isn't detected. No /help support."); } [/code] [SIZE=4][FONT=helvetica][B]Slightly More Advanced Example[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [code] Help helpPlugin = ((Help) test); String[] permissions = new String[]{"bb.admin.watch", "bb.admin.info", "bb.admin.rollback", "bb.admin.cleanse"}; // If a user has any one of those permissions, they'll be able to see /bb help. A main command helpPlugin.registerCommand("bb help", "Help for all BigBrother commands", plugin, true, permissions); // If a user has "bb.admin.watch" they'll be able to see /bb watch [player]. A secondary command helpPlugin.registerCommand("bb watch [player]", "Toggle the watch on [player]", plugin, permissions[0]); [/code] [/spoiler] [FONT=helvetica][SIZE=5][B]Plugins with Help Support[/B][/SIZE][/FONT] Here's a quick list of plugins (and version) that have built in Help support. - MyHome v1.9.2+ - MyWarp v1.10.3+ - BigBrother v1.6.4+ - Citizens v1.0+ - General 3.1+ - TelePlus 1.6+ - Pixl 1.3+ - Vampire 1.3+ - BetterShop 1.6.2+ - Wormhole-X-Treme 0.812+ - Tele++ v1.3.4 [FONT=helvetica][SIZE=5][B]ExtraHelp Packs[/B][/SIZE][/FONT] [URL='https://github.com/FabianN/MC-Bukkit-HelpExtra'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]FabianN put together a repository of entries for your ExtraHelp/ that represent other plugins' commands.[/COLOR][/URL] It's really awesome and was helped put together by others from the community. [SIZE=5][B][FONT=helvetica]Preview[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AE9cG.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cII2X.jpg[/IMG] [SIZE=5][B][FONT=helvetica]Changelog[/FONT][/B][/SIZE] Version 0.3.2 - 7/21/11 [LIST] [*]lowered chat fill size.. should fix some wrapping issues [/LIST] Version 0.3.1 - 7/7/11 [LIST] [*]fixed NullPointerException on entry save when no permissions [/LIST] Version 0.3 - 7/6/11 [LIST] [*]fixed loading help & plugin help registering before plugin onEnable [/LIST] [spoiler="Changelog"] Version 0.3 beta2 - 7/4/11 [LIST] [*]plugin console output fixed [*]console output width changed for when running windows [*]plugin help override can be disabled (default) [LIST] [*]plugin help registering is ignored if the command exists already [*]alternatively, can be disabled completely [/LIST] [*]saving of registered commands can be disabled (also, now saves to file, not "_orig" files) [*]ExtraHelp now uses filename as plugin name (plugin field no longer used) [*]added formatting options: [LIST] [*]shortenEntries : can show in old, one-line style [*]chat line (useWordWrap:false) - minecraft chat wraps to next line [*]columns (useWordWrap:true) - command on left, description in word wrap line(s) [LIST] [*]can be right-aligned (wordWrapRight:true) [/LIST] [/LIST] [*]plugin entries can be set to not sorted (listed in the order found in the help file) [*]"/help reload" is now op-only [*]"ExtraHelp.yml" will now be converted (again.. seems to have been removed somewhere..) [*]ExtraHelp supports a multi-directory structure (like FabiaN's help package) (plugin name will be the directory name) [*]improved node error messages when loading [*]fixed permissions 3x illegalAccessErrors on load (and api errors) [/LIST] Version 0.2.4.1 - 4/4/11 [LIST] [*]another illegalAccessError (hopefully) resolved [/LIST] Version 0.2.4 - 4/2/11 [LIST] [*]updated an illegalAccess error that was occurring in 617 [/LIST] Version 0.2.3 - 3/25/11 [LIST] [*]fixed a null pointer exception in plugin help [/LIST] Version 0.2.2 - 3/24/11 [LIST] [*]various null pointer fixes (could have nullpointerException on load without) [*]improved help listing [*]added console help support [/LIST] [SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica]Before i started maintaining: [/FONT][/SIZE] [I][SIZE=12px][SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica][B][URL='http://taylorkelly.me/plugins/Help/Help%20v0-2.zip'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]Help v0.2 [531][/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][I]Released 15 Mar, 2011[/I][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Built with latest recommend build (531)[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Multiline support. Descriptions of commands can now be as long as you'd like.[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Separated ExtraHelp.yml into separate YML files (for each plugin, etc).[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Plugin overriding. Don't like how a plugin has their Help support? Completely customize their entries.[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica][B][URL='http://taylorkelly.me/plugins/Help/Help%20v0-1-1.zip'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]Help v0.1.1 [493][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][I]Released 6 Mar, 2011[/I][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Built with latest recommend build (493)[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Updated for GroupManager 1.0[/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][SIZE=5][FONT=helvetica][B][URL='http://taylorkelly.me/plugins/Help/Help%20v0-1.zip'][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)][COLOR=rgb(16, 97, 179)]Help v0.1 [440][/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL][/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px][I]Released 28 Feb, 2011[/I][/SIZE][/I] [I][SIZE=12px]- Intial Release[/SIZE][/I] [\spoiler]/

2. Offline

Jeyge

You'll need to post your errors because it works just fine for everyone else.

3. Offline

CainFoool

Code:
    02:10:43 [SEVERE] Nag author: 'tkelly and n3x15' of 'BigBrother' about the following: This plugin is not properly shutting down its async tasks when it is being reloaded.  This may cause conflicts with the newly loaded version of the plugin
    02:10:43 [SEVERE] Nag author: 'tkelly and n3x15' of 'BigBrother' about the following: This plugin is not properly shutting down its async tasks when it is being reloaded.  This may cause conflicts with the newly loaded version of the plugin

Getting this error upon server start; however it's working fine but doesn't look nice and when reloading the server it always pauses on that error.

Im not sure if it's any of my plugins that are corrupting with it, but..
    Code:
    Pitfall, Dontkickme, PlgDisableCmd, RedstonePlugin, Help, GroupManager, MotherNature, WorldEdit, WorldGuard, TelePlusPlus, ChatStuff, SecretDoors, WarnFreeze, NoCheat, RocketBoots, Slap, SimpleGive, iChat, Regios, PlgLogCmd, motd, DefaultCommands, ecoCreature, iConomy, ItemDetector, Jail, Lockette, SimpleModerator, BigBrother, VanishNoPickup, AutoHelp, PaintingSwitch, mobSpawner, Permissions, iCoLand

4. Offline

maetthew

I made a commit with support for BukkitVote. Until FabianN has merged it with the master repository you can find it in my repo here

5. Offline

Olac09

Shimmi could you explain your fix a little more?
    I seem to have the same problem

6. Offline

EpicATrain

This plugin corrupts my permissions plugin. Why?

Here's the error. It was pulled from somebody else's pastie but the error is the same...

http://pastebin.com/yxs8kHXH

7. Offline

alexanderpas

Feature Request:
    Don't show "help <page>" items when they lead to an page with no items, or the only item on the page is themself.

Examples:
    • Don't show "help worldguard" when there is no help for worldguard availble for a user.
    • Don't show "help worldguard" when the only item on the worldguard page is "help worldguard"

8. Offline

mig72

What version of Permissions do you have ? It seems that Help 2.4.1 breaks Permission 3+. You need to stick with Permissions 2.7.4.

I also have this problem and it prevents me from upgrading McMyAdmin to the last build, as it only supports Permissions v3...

9. Offline

Tadas159

Please update for permissions v3

10. Offline

wheresmyhotdog

I have the same problem with it not working with the new version of permissions

11. Offline

Rytharr

Shouldnt you be posting that in the Bigbrother thread since its a bigbrother error and not a help error?

12. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

Ah, that looks like it might be an error in your ExtraHelp.yml file... which probably shouldn't exist anyway.

13. Offline

DJ_Idol

This plugin is working great, I just have one problem. No matter what I do, I CAN'T get the /home and /home set commands to get off the main /help page. I've deleted the MyHome_orig.yml, and they're not set to main: true anywhere else, they're actually not in any of the .yml's. How can I remove them from the main help page?

14. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

Rename MyHome_orig.yml to MyHome.yml and change main:true to main:false.

15. Offline

DJ_Idol

Thanks, but the thing is, I don't even have the MyHome_orig.yml, I deleted it completely. And that the other commands are nowhere in any of my other help files.

16. Offline

Celtic Minstrel

The MyHome_orig.yml will be generated whenever the server starts up. Possibly whenever Help loads, even; you could try to see if /help reload generates it.

17. Offline

RaCooN

Please update it, so that it works with Permissions 3.x.x! It's a lovely plug-in but when I use it, it gives me errors because I use Permissions 3. Such a shame for such a wonderful plug-in!

18. Offline

Blackswordsman

A Permissions 3.x update would be wonderful! :D

19. Offline

Olac09

It seems to work for me with permissions 3+...

20. Offline

11RJB

21. Offline

dvdbrander

Question, essentials keeps handling the /help instead of this plugin. How can I fix that?

22. Offline

Mansarde

One solution would be to generate your own .jar from the source-code, for which you'd change the "help" command to something else. For example, I chose "halp" as a replacement.

23. Offline

dvdbrander

Fixed it, removed the help function out of the function-list in essentials (open it with winrar, open the right text-file and remove help)

24. Offline

lycano

@dvdbrander: in Essentials 2.3.x you dont need to do this as it will redirect it to the overriden plugin. Which means: if a plugin exists that uses /help or /god this will be redirected to the plugin.

25. Offline

Mansarde

I'm currently using Essentials 2.2.8 and it should also do what you said. At least that's what it says in its config file.
    But it doesn't seem to work. The config file even says that this method of first giving other plugins priority doesn't always work.
    Now I wonder: Do you actually use Smarter Help with Essentials 2.3.x? That would be nice to know, thanks in advance!

26. Offline

Gangsta_hotdog

It would be nice if more plugins had built in support for this, like essentials help. I don't really want to spend hours putting in all the commands and definitions. Couldn't stand how much essentials bloated the server though :/

27. Offline

shellthor

I am having the same issue with BigBrother and PermissionsEx. I have renamed both generated bigbrother_orig.yml and permissionsex_orig.yml to bigbrother.yml and permissionsex.yml respectively but when the server is restarted, botth bigbrother_orig.yml and permissionsex_orig.yml are created and I am stuck with the commands staying on the main help page. Is there any way to fix this?

28. Offline

11RJB

Sad, but I think this plugin is dead. Too bad, I'd love to see some 3.x support. Unfortunately there aren't really any good alternatives...

29. Offline

Brain

Actually there is not much to support. I build Help myself. Downloaded the sources, removed two lines for GroupManager support (is this project still alive, anyways?), made the jar, copied it to the server and it works.

30. Offline

Bjourk

Are you saying you have a working Help.jar for 860? Would you share?

31. Offline

Brain

Well, I guess so. After reading about Help having trouble with Permissions 3 I wondered why and I decided to make me a new Help.jar against current craftbukkit RB and Permissions 3. Had to kick GroupManager support because I couldn't find it in the plugins list anymore. However I'm not sure if it is OK to put up this jar for download, I think the moderation would frown upon that.