[INACTIVE][SEC] Authed v0.3.1 - A simple authentication plugin [766]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Vijfhoek, May 20, 2011.

1. Offline

Vijfhoek

I STOPPED THIS PLUGIN
    As there isn't any reason to turn off online-mode in the newest versions of Minecraft (because of the anti-piracy), I stopped developing this plugin. Someone might want to continue the development, just fork my source and create a new thread ;)

Authed - A simple authentication plugin
    Version: v0.3.1

Description:
    Since I wasn't able to find any authentication plugins that were either up to date with Bukkit and compatible with multiworld, I made Authed. It is designed to be simple to install and to use.

Installation:
    1. Put the JAR file in your plugins directory
    2. Start/reload your Bukkit server
    3. There is no step 3.
    Features:
    • Easy to use and to setup
    • Uses a YAML file to store the (hashed) passwords
    • Supports multiple worlds
    • Blocks viewing the inventory, breaking or placing blocks and issuing commands
    JAR file
    Source code

Changelog:
    Show Spoiler
    v0.3.1
    - Fixed some NullPointerExceptions when breaking/placing blocks
    v0.3
    - Fixed some stupid errors in the plugin.yml
    v0.2
    - Some code clean-ups
    - Tried to fix disappearing inventories
    v0.1
    - Plugin release

This plugin is NOT bugfree.

That's why this is version 0.x
    I have had experiences with inventories disappearing. Due to a lack of RAM, I am not able to test the plugin on my pc, so I have to wait until my server is empty.
    I have fixed a bug in the current development version (see source), but this could as well introduce new bugs. I am about to buy more RAM, so expect some improvements in stability soon.

2. Offline

Raphfrk

Had a look at the code, what happens if the player loses connection when about to login (so not a proper log off)? My understanding is that this doesn't trigger a player quit event.

3. Offline

Vijfhoek

@Raphfrk I'll take a look at it, since that might explain why my friend's inventory regularly disappears.

But I think it calls the QUIT event, since a crash is displayed as a "quit.genericReason"

--EDIT-- It calls PLAYER_QUIT in every way of quitting

4. Offline

Yggy

I'm not completely understanding what this does... ??? It authorizes players for playing?
    It makes people use a password for entering the server?

5. Offline

Vijfhoek

@Yggy
    It requires people to (optionally) register their names, so that the registered names can't be used by people using hackclients when the server's online-mode is turned off.
    The plugin removes the inventory, the able to use /commands and interacting with the map until they have logged in.

6. Offline

canabix

If you use commands for user authentication, does it mean passwords are sent in the clear on the internet ?

7. Offline

Vijfhoek

@canabix Yes, but as far as I know there is no other way. You don't use your Minecraft user data for this, by the way.

8. Offline

canabix

sure there is another way. You can use public/private key and a plugin on the client side or a third part software for authenticating. I admit this is much more tedious to set up for users but this is a good authentication.