[INACTIVE][MECH] Cow Paths v2 - Pave the paths where players walk [670]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by deltahat, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Offline

deltahat

Cow Paths - Pave the paths where players walk
    Version: v2

Cow Paths is a bukkit plugin for simulating the natural erosion caused by player walking. The name of the plugin comes from the phrase "to pave the cow paths." As players walk around the server, Cow Paths keeps track of the number of times each block has been stepped on and erodes the world accordingly. By default, the world erosion patterns are (with step thresholds in parentheses):

Grass -(10)-> Dirt -(50)-> Gravel -(200)-> Cobblestone -(800)-> Smooth Stone
    Sand -(100)-> Sandstone

Download
    Jar - https://github.com/rmichela/CowPaths/downloads
    Source - https://github.com/rmichela/CowPaths

Configuration
    The erosion patters and step thresholds used by Cow Paths are completely configurable. All wear patterns are stored in the config.yml file under the wearPatterns key. A wear pattern is made up of a three part string containing the fromMaterial, toMaterial, and stepThreshold. A line looks like this:

Code:
    - Grass Dirt 10
    When defining the fromMaterial and toMaterial, you can use either a material's canonical name or ID number. Malformed wear patterns will be ignored. If two wear patterns share the same fromMaterial, only the first one will be used.

API
    To access Cow Paths data in your plugins, use the following code
    Code:
    CowPaths cpPlugin = (CowPaths)this.getServer().getPluginManager().getPlugin("CowPaths");
    CowPathsApi cpApi = cpPlugin.api;

Don't forget to add appropriate null protection.

Changelog:
    Version 2
    • Fixed console spamming bug
    • Added API
    • Added total steps metric
    Version 1
    • Initial Release

Flipp, credence, Digi and 1 other person like this.
  2. Offline

Dreadreaver

how does this work with grass->dirt? when the dirt turns to grass through sunlight are the steps reset or do they stay the same and my grass could accidently turn into gravel?

3. Offline

deltahat

They reset.

4. Offline

Afforess

Actually, this looks really cool. I always wanted to track player movement, but never get the free time to break away from my current projects.

How often does the paths reset - and is it saved between restarts? Looking at your code, I believe you are saving it between server instances, but whether the paths reset wasn't readily clear to me.

5. Offline

Gimmic

This would be awesome as a heatmap plugin for Dynmap.
    Show where people explore/congregate...

6. Offline

deltahat

I would consider implementing that.

Right now I reset the step count whenever a block has been changed by the player/world or is eroded by the plugin. The detection of this is done lazily only when a player actually steps on a block (no world scanning).

I could include a second cumulative counter that is never reset and is exposed via an API.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  7. Offline

Afforess

Okay, makes sense.

Both exposed would be nice.

8. Offline

Afforess

Had another thought - what about allowing the reverse process to work too? Once a path is created (i.e gravel path), and it's not used for 1 MC month or so, it starts to degrade back to dirt and grass.

9. Offline

deltahat

Coo
    Cool idea. Would be harder to implement efficiently since it isn't player driven (doesn't happen when players walk).

Makes me think of a plugin to simulate natural succession and weathering - Exposed stone turns to gravel. Gravel turns to dirt. Dirt grows grass. Pioneer plants start to grow in fields - first flowers, then natural wheat. Finally trees.

Structures could decay with time. Wood, wool, and art could rot away. Cobble walls develop gravel fringes. Fountains dry up and torches go out.

All this would happen on chunk load so it would be transparent. Time frames would be adjustable. Decay/succession rates could be accelerated for chunks that haven't been loaded in a long time.

10. Offline

SpaceManiac

It would be awesome to see this on an RP server.

11. Offline

rmb938

This plugin is pretty cool. Can't wait till you add time decaying. Would be pretty awesome.

12. Offline

deltahat

If I implement decay, it will be in another plugin. I like my plugins to do exactly one thing well, rather than include lots of loosely related functionality. This lets server admins pick and choose what they want without conflicts.

13. Offline

nekosune

Great plugin, about to try it out fully on my server.

14. Offline

Afforess

Any chance of removing the debugging logs and console spam?

15. Offline

deltahat

Which debug logs/console spam are you getting?

16. Offline

nekosune

the CraftChunk stuff I assume

17. Offline

deltahat

Can you provide the message?

18. Offline

Afforess

when the controller loads chunks. I even opened it up in jdgui, and you have a system.out.println call there.

19. Offline

BerserkB0mber

Thats what hes talking about

20. Wow, this is looks amazing, can't wait to try it out!

21. Offline

deltahat

This will be fixed.

Cow Paths v2 Released

Bug fix
    • Fixed console spamming
    Features
    • Added API for accessing step data
    • Added total steps metric

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

22. @deltahat
    Sweet! I've been running .1 and love it! Thanks!

23. Offline

deltahat

Is this a good thing?

24. Yes its a good thing. This was a feature in Animal Crossing and I have always thought it would work in Minecraft.

One question,
    Is it server costly. Will it start to cause lag or anything?

25. Offline

kleril

A subtle plugin, but wow I love it.

26. Offline

deltahat

The flashing images of horror made it hard to tell :)

Cow Paths shouldn't be costly at all. I take a very passive approach to tracking player step data.
    1. Steps are only tracked for blocks that are actually stepped on. 99.9% of the world is never even looked at by Cow Paths.
    2. The world is only ever looked at or modified when a player steps on a block. There are no background tasks.
    3. Step data is stored in a sparse data structure (lots of holes), so memory usage is minimal.
    4. Chunks of step data are loaded/unloaded from memory with the actual map chunks, so there is never any more step data in memory than there are chunks in memory.
    5. Chunk data is paged out from memory to disk with chunk unloads using Java's internal object serialization format. This format is highly optimized to keep CPU usage to a minimum when reading and writing data.

27. Offline

Puck7845

So Cool! This is definitely going in my server! I do also like the idea of an erosion/decay plugin, always thought that since minecraft was generated with erosion-like algorithms it would be fitting if it continued during actual play.

28. Offline

TOAST7312

A question; this plugin obvious tracks movements of players in natural environments, but what about ones built by players? Will it change blocks that have been placed by a player as a part of, say, a structure?

I ask because I am interested in taking up this plugin, but do not want to see my city made of mostly smooth stone turned to sand because too many people walked all over it. :p

If no such recognition system exists, is there a way to make it differentiate between cities/player built surfaces and natural paths?

Oh wait I think I read this wrong didn't I. Smooth Stone is the end of the cow path's natural cycle isnt it?

EDIT:

Installed the plugin and got this MASSIVE error whenever I moved:

Code:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at com.ryanmichela.cowpaths.plugin.StepPlayerListener.onPlayerMove(StepP
    layerListener.java:38)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$7.execute(JavaPluginLoader.ja
    va:240)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.jav
    a:59)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.j
    ava:255)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:128)
            at net.minecraft.server.Packet10Flying.a(SourceFile:126)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.a(NetworkManager.java:198)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:72)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:100)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:368)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:283)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:375)
    03:07:07 [SEVERE] Could not pass event CHUNK_UNLOAD to CowPaths
            at com.ryanmichela.cowpaths.plugin.StepWorldListener.onChunkUnload(StepW
    orldListener.java:39)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$37.execute(JavaPluginLoader.j
    ava:426)
            at net.minecraft.server.ChunkProviderServer.a(ChunkProviderServer.java:2
    23)
            at net.minecraft.server.World.h(World.java:1388)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:359)
    23)
    23)
    23)
    03:07:08 [SEVERE] Could not pass event CHUNK_UNLOAD to CowPaths
    23)
    23)
    23)
    23)
    23)
    23)
    23)
    23)
    03:07:08 [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_MOVE to CowPaths
    03:07:09 [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_MOVE to CowPaths
    >
    Quarantined.

29. Offline

deltahat

The decay patterns are completely configurable. In it's default, smooth stone does not decay.

What version of bukkit?

What other plugins are you running? I cannot reproduce the error.

30. Offline

TOAST7312

Oh god that is quite a list hold on.

1. Big Brother:

/page-13
    2. Minecart Mania(admin, chest, sign, and station as well):
    3. LWC - Lightweight Protection Plugin

age-11#post-29397
    4. LyTreeHelperr:

00.7501/page-3#post-179618
    5. CraftBukkitUpToDate:

5026/
    6. Dynmap - Realtime Minecraft Maps:
    7. Essentials:

-multiple.1262/page-91#post-52705
    8. RetractableBridge:

-602.10659/
    9. Vanish:
    10. WorldGuard:

e-36#post-52710
    11. WorldEdit:

2/page-27#post-52408
    12. HeroChat:

/page-19
    13. Towny:

ction.3358/page-4#post-52696
    14. RealShop:
    15. iConomy:
    16. Permissions(the one that makes everything run):
    17. Tombstone:
    18. Persistence:
    19. Nethergate:
    20. MonsterHunt:
    21. CookieMonster:

1/
    22. MobRider:
    23. HeroBounty:
    24. LastSeen
    25. PorteCoulissante
    26. PickBoat

ost-138472
    27. MobileAdmin
    28. RuneCraft (Scroll down to the bottom for list of available runes!)
    29. mcMMO:
    30. PvPReward:

-2v
    31. GlassHurt:

11100/
    32. Backup:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-backup-1-2a-a-simple-backup-plugin-617.9871/page-2#post-180619

Running CB 670(Recommended Version)