[INACTIVE][FUN] SureFooting v 1.2 - For the clumsy that tend to fall to their death [405+]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Nohup, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Offline

Nohup

SureFooting - A safety mod
    Version 1.2

For those of us who have a little too much twitch left in our wrists from endless days of FPSs, and who don't want to play safe and hold ourselves in sneak, I have created what I hope will be a fairly original mod to keep us from falling to our dooms. SureFooting watches out for you when your foot is about to fall upon nothing but air, and gracefully provides you with a steady platform to stand upon.

Features (while active):
    • Creates a 3X3 grid of glass, as needed, around the players current position to ensure a nice buffer zone to move around in without falling.
    • Grid dynamically moves as the player does providing continuous protection.
    • Anytime the players current move would result in their feet landing on AIR a glass block is generated instead.
    • Blocks that are created for the moving platform are returned to their original state when the player moves or turns off SureFooting.
    • Blocks are made of glass so do not contribute to an influx of material within a server.
    • Platform is free-floating and allows for mid-air construction. The 3X3 size contributes to this by providing starting points for anchored blocks.
    • Platform can provide a safe transportation method over land without having to build numerous walkways.
    • As an unexpected bonus, the platform also provides a bit of a game as you can try and ambush NPCs/players by stacking sand or gravel on the platform and then moving off and trying to drop these blocks on unsuspecting foes.
    • What goes up, must come down. To facilitate this gracefully the entire platform will come apart when one block of the platform is broken. This will drop a player to the next lower level (currently by 1 block at a time).
    • Users can now move platforms down by looking down while moving. Target the block of the platform you are moving towards and this should move the platform down one level.
    Usage:
    • Single command toggle: /surefeet
    Download SureFooting: SureFooting v1.2
    SureFooting Source Code: GitHub

ChangeLog:

v 1.2:
    • Bug fixes to take care of straggling blocks from the platform
    • Bug fixes/code cleanup to take care of collision issue
    v 1.1:
    • Added look-down support to move the platform down a level due to block respawn issues
    • Refactored various portions of the code
    • Made source code available on GitHub
    v 1.0:
    • Initial release
    This is my first plugin, I hope you enjoy it!

2. Offline

Juze

Seems nice for your first plugin, but I doubt I ever get use for this. It's been done before, and it's called MagicCarpet (ported from early hMod days).

3. Offline

Nohup

Thanks. I figured something like this had probably been done, but it was the idea that popped in my head and I went for it. I looked up MagicCarpet and as you said it is very similar, I guess folks think alike.

4. Offline

csma-cd

The building crew @ my server liked the idea... we'll install it...

5. Offline

ibninja

I get this error: "2011-02-24 14:03:12 [SEVERE] Could not load plugins/SureFooting.jar in plugins: null
    org.bukkit.plugin.InvalidPluginException
    at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader.loadPlugin(JavaPluginLoader.java:56)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugin(SimplePluginManager.java:129)
    at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.loadPlugins(SimplePluginManager.java:94)
    at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.CraftServer.loadPlugins(CraftServer.java:58)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.e(MinecraftServer.java:187)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.a(MinecraftServer.java:174)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.d(MinecraftServer.java:120)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:227)
    at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:366)
    Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Jar does not contain plugin.yml"
    I looked, and it doesn't seem to have a plugin.yml file in the jar. I tried redownloading to make sure, but that jar was identical.

6. Offline

Nohup

Sorry about that, I was moving the location around in my project earlier and must have uploaded a bad build. I have put a new jar out there that has the YML properly in place. Thanks for downloading and I look forward to your feedback.

7. Offline

Banana

When I stared the "/surefoot", it left a trace of glass for a while. I have just installed the plugin, and I love the idea, I just hope this wont be a problem that stays, as I'd hate to have to quadruple my work and go back to actually remove the glass blocks.

Plugin seems nice though, doesn't lagg but it is somewhat annoying when you move at top speed and the platform is having truble keeping up ;)

Thanks for the plugin, anyway. I'll give you more feedback once I've tried it some more :)

Banana.

edit:
    http://i52.tinypic.com/209g17q.jpg
    ^ This is what I'm talking about.

To Nohup: It happened the second I walked over the leaves. (I was the same level as them, so the platform might have freaked out because it couldn't replace air, and it didn't replace the leaves, it simply just... Well you see for yourself. The circle pattern comes from me walking in a circle.)

8. Offline

Nohup

@Banana - thanks for the detailed report. The fix should correct the left over blocks AND help with the top speed issue I believe, since the problem I was seeing with the platform keeping up was around the error being thrown. Version 1.2 is now available for download, and I will update the overall description.

9. Offline

drake kleinlein

I loaded this plug in but we cant seem to get it to work.

10. Offline

Nohup

do you have any additional information so that I can try and help? In your console at startup do you see "SureFooting has been enabled"? Are you using the command /surefeet? Do you see any errors in your logs? What version of CraftBukkit are you running? I am currently running the latest of this plugin against CraftBukkit 432 with no issues. There was a point yesterday when I had a jar out there without a plugin.yml in it which would cause it not to load, so depending on when you downloaded your version you may want to get a new one.

11. Offline

Incendia

Can you add permissions support?

12. Offline

Nohup

I haven't updated this one in a while since MagicCarpet has been updated for Bukkit. This was my first plugin and while it works, there has to be a better way to do it as it can cause lag. If MagicCarpet doesn't really meet your needs then let me know and I can refactor and try and make this one better now that I know more about plugins and Bukkit.

13. Offline

Racha

I Need it too :)

14. Offline

Kainzo

Greetings - I'm the lead director of Herocraft Coding - We are making a VERY robust RPG system - this "safefall" plugin's code will be needed to create a monk style class that takes less fall damage - will you be okay with providing the source and allowing us to turn it into a command/ability?

Thanks! (Pm me please)

15. Offline

coversation

Since surefooting no longer works properly (half the time the glass doesn't move with me at all), are there any other similar plugins? I really liked how this one worked.

16. Offline

Nohup

MagicCarpet. This was my first plugin and I am sure there are better ways to do it, and when Magic Carpet came out and the lag went nuts on this one I figured let them take over.