[INACTIVE][ADMN] Backup 1.6 - A simple Backup Plugin [818]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Meldanor, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Offline

Meldanor

Important!
    I've stopped the development of this plugin, becase I lost the motivation. The user 'gamerx93' will continue my work in this thread:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-backup-v1-8-3-a-simple-backup-plugin-1392.39927/

Backup - A simple Backup Plugin :
    Version : 1.6

After I've searched for a simple, but powerfull backup plugin, I've tried some backups, but some have bugs, other don't save the world before they zip and so on. So I decided to write my own backup plugin.

Features:
    • Automatically backups the server(all worlds) in a Intervall you've decided and zip it.
    • Saves every world running on the server and every player before the backup
    • Supporting Permission
    • Supporting manuel backups (you can use an ingame command or on the console)
    • Storing only a limit of backups that you've configure
    • You can set that only to backup when player are on the server
    • Stores also the plugin folder
    • Formate the date format
    Download:
    Source
    Plugin

Changelog:
    Version 1.6:
    • Added option to control where the backups are getting stored
    • Fixed disabling broadcast messages
    • You can now use also the old save system, which is the same as before 1.5
    • Uses godsny's suggestion for the config file. Thanks !
    • Fixed bug deleting the custom dir when the maximum backup limit is hit!
    • Fixed bug stopping the complete backup if there is one file error!
    • Fixed bug not disabling the automatic backup when you set the BackupIntervall to -1
    Version 1.5:
    • Added property to also backup the plugin folder(is set to true by default)
    • Fixed issue with data corruption by using not thread save methods. Thanks to desmin88 for the hints!
    • All worlds(and when enabled the plugin folder) is stored in ONE ZIP
    • Customize the timestamp by merge a fork of xfxian . Thanks to xfxian!
    • You can now disable enabling the autosave (the command "save-on", not the backup cyclus!) by setting the property to true. It is false by default. Notify, that I will run the command "save-off" before I will start the backup to prevent unwished results!
    • When server is starting, the config.ini is checked now. If you don't have the current config.ini you can see on the console a error. Remove / relocate the config temporary to get the newest one.
    Show Spoiler

Version 1.4a:
    • Fixed the bug " [Backup] Zipping backup is disabled! "
    Version 1.4:
    • Use ASyncMethod instead of SyncMethod (the lags should be gone)
    • Own broadcast messages ( change the message in you config.ini file)
    • A backup is run when the last player has left the server after the normal backup cyclus.
    • Remove worlds from backup (add the names of the worlds in your config.ini files)
    • Add an option to just store the worlds in dirs or zip them
    • Some minor improvements
    Version 1.3a:
    • You can now run a backup from the console using the command backup
    Version 1.3:
    • Implemented new function to only backup when player are online
    • Use Apache Common IO library instead of code from the internet for a better performance and better stability
    Version 1.2b:
    • Fixed bug with empty dirs
    Version 1.2a:
    • Fixed bug not creating config.ini
    Version 1.2:
    • Implement property so only ops can start manuell backups
    • Updated to recommened build 602
    • Tried to fix the problem with some system by using the system file seperator
    Version 1.1:
    • Added option to give manual backups a name(which will never automatically removed by auto backup)
    Version 1.0:
    • First release

Install
    Just place it in your plugins dir

Configuration
    Show Spoiler

After the first start of the plugin it generates a config.ini in "plugins/Backup".
    Here is the current content:

Version=1.6
    // --All variables are in minutes--
    // How often show the backup run? (#)
    // Notice: -1 Will disable automatic backups. You have to run the backups now manually!
    BackupIntervall=15
    // How many backups are retained? If this limit is hit, the oldest backup will be removed. (#)
    MaximumBackups=96
    // Only allow Ops to preform manual backups? (true/false)
    OnlyOps=true
    // Should backups only be preformed when there are players on the server?
    // Notice: When the last player leaves the server, a final backup will be made
    // within the backup cycle. The automatic backup cycle will resume when a player
    // joins. (true/false)
    BackupOnlyWithPlayer=true
    // Server broadcast message when starting a backup.
    // Notice : Remove the messages(not the property) to disable a broadcast. (text)
    MessageStartBackup=Start backup
    // Server broadcast message when a backup is completed.
    // Notice : Remove the messages(not the property) to disable a broadcast. (text)
    MessageFinishBackup=Finished backup
    // Worlds that should not be archived by the server, seperate them by
    // a semicolon. (directory names)
    // Example : World1;World2;Nether
    DontBackupWorlds=
    // ZIP backups?
    // If enabled, backups will be compressed and stored in a ZIP archive named with
    // the current timestamp.
    // If disabled, the backup will stored in a folder with the timestamp. (true/false)
    ZIPBackup=true
    // Custom date format string that is appended to every backup.
    // If left empty, the default date format is used.
    // This has to be a Java String.format string, see
    // http://download.oracle.com/javase/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/Formatter.html#syntax
    // for reference.
    // Example: -%1$tY%1$tm%1$td-%1$tH%1$tM%1$tS (YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS: 20101201-011323) (conforms to ISO 8601)
    CustomDateFormat=%1$td%1$tm%1$tY-%1$tH%1$tM%1$tS
    // Enables the auto-save function after the backup.
    // Notice: If you set this to false, this plugin will backup your worlds but not save
    // the data from the memory to your hard disc. If the server crashes between
    // backups, all work is lost. Disable if you use another plugin to save the world
    // to disk (EG: autosave). (true/false)
    EnableAutoSave=true
    // Backup plugin directory? (true/false)
    BackupPluginDIR=true
    // Location of backups
    BackupDir=backups
    // Store all backuped world in one zip? (true/false)
    // If false every worlds backup is saved in one directory named in the format:
    // WORLDNAME_TIMESTAMP
    SummarizeBackupContent=true

After this just type in your server
    /reload
    to reload the settings

Permissions
    backup.canbackup

Commands
    /backup starts a manuel Backup of your server. If you don't have permissions, everybody can run this command.
    /backup NAME starts a manuel Backup of your server. This backup is stored in backups/custom

So far
    So Mel

2. Offline

Leemur

can you add please an option to save together with plugin and my SQL databases? (the mysql adress will be in config file)

3. Offline

Stodo

Wonderful plugin! Agreed with Valdiralita, instead of saving the ENTIRE plugins directory what about having the choice of only saving single folders?

4. A option to decide which plugin folders will be back uped would be nice.
    My server itself is about 500mb but the dynmap folder (hd texture) is about ~7 gb,
    don't want to save it :)

5. Offline

sauranon

Any word on excluding all (or preferably some) folders? I also don't want to back up my giant map folder.

6. Offline

repeat

7. Offline

sauranon

8. Offline

Buckethead

i think this starts getting buggy at 1060

9. Offline

Munkyman587

Any chance you will update this? It has been the most reliable backup tool I have ever used

10. Offline

Buckethead

dito but i witched to minebackup. pretty similar

11. Offline

Snowy007

Why would an update be needed? This is still working perfectly fine for me at the moment.
    Indeed he might need to test it on the latest RB and then change the title so people can see that this actually still works.

12. Offline

Buckethead

I started getting corrupt file saves so i switched

13. Offline

Strongit

Can anyone confirm if this is working on any 1.8 builds? It worked fine beforehand and I'd love to keep using it.

14. Offline

Valdiralita

Plugin works with CB rev. 1149 on 1.8.1.
    But it has some problems with console output.
    Some messages are duplicated... nothing serious.

regards Valdiralita

15. Offline

jasonsj10

Well, If you wanna count this as working

Code:
    17:34:12 [INFO] Start backup
    17:34:12 [INFO] CONSOLE: Forcing save..
    17:34:12 [INFO] CONSOLE: Save complete.
    17:34:12 [INFO] CONSOLE: Disabling level saving..
    17:34:31 [INFO] CONSOLE: Enabling level saving..
    17:35:18 [INFO] CONSOLE: Enabling level saving..
    17:35:18 [INFO] Finished backup
    Notice how it repeats 3 times(First one i did was 2)

? well thats what happend to me when i just did /backup

But the odd thing is it only does ONE backup. Also sometimes it will kick you out of the game "End of Stream"

16. Offline

Valdiralita

Told you...

17. Offline

gamerx93

18. Offline

lycano

Anyone intrested to take this over? I am ^^ This plugin is plain and simple and can be extended like hell =)

19. I'd love to see this plugin extended. I've yet to see any problems with it under 1185. It is still the best backup plugin I've seen. Simple and direct, does the job with a minimum amount of fuss. The only thing I would like to see added would be log rotation, similar to what the ServerLogSaver does.

20. Offline

xZise

Would be nice, if this plugin will be reactivated :)

Fabian

21. Offline

gamerx93

I'd love to take over, and have started some work too :)
    I've already made it a fair bit better, and been over the suggestions in this thread, added some of them already, and working on it now.

My repo is here: https://github.com/gamerx/Backup

If anyone wants to help/etc, just message or email me.

Justin The Cynical likes this.
  22. Well, for what it's worth, I can do testing on Windows and Linux. I tried to send you a message, but I didn't see an option in your profile page to do so.

Sent

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  23. Offline

sorklin

@gamerx93
    You forked it, I see. Is the build stable, and do you plan to open a dev.bukkit.org page for it? Since the dev hasn't done anything in a long time, I think you should just open a new page and go with your fork.

24. Offline

gamerx93

Yes, this is what me and @lycano are doing.
    The stable build can be found under the master branch at the GitHub page.

I am not sure about opening a BukkitDev page, but this may happen.

You can check the GitHub page at: https://github.com/gamerx/Backup/

@Meldanor advised that this is fine with him, and we will be taking over developing this plugin.

25. Offline

xZise

Maybe a cool feature would be if it stores the backups not only the last X times and instead also one older backup (don't know the term :p). For example you store one backup each 15 minutes and 6 of them (1.5 h) and additionally it stores one backup after 3, 6, 12, 24 hours? So even if the world gets corrupted and you noticed it to late, it is possible to have a backup with at most one day delay.

[edit]Okay ... there could be one problem. If there is one 24 hrs old backup and it creates a new backup it couldn't change the 24 hrs backup, because it was already deleted. And the previously 24 hrs backup is now 24 hrs and 15 mins backup. Maybe you have a good suggestion based on this, but my previously idea won't work ^^[/edit]

Fabian

26. Offline

lycano

@xZise
    1 - Backup Task every 15 min
    2 - Backup Task every 2 h

this would mean that the 8th Backup is your 2h backup or in your example your 12th backup is the 3h backup.

Even if you do a 12min or 7 min backup you will have a calculateable hour backup somewhere along the way ;)

Anyhow ... a good idea i could think of an configureable hourly backup that would temporarily disable an overlapping repeated backup task that runs every n minute.

Feature request would be "hourly backup vs repeated backup" ... i hope i have described it well...

Its kinda the same principle as normal backup tasks like "Father Son" ... Each Sunday full backup, til then incremental backups ... Full backups would be kept but inbetween it would be deleted as soon as we have another sunday backup.

Now if we use time as an index and trigger the garbage collector ...
    Conzept:
    (( Our Server is never used. First fixed backup is scheduled to run at 00:00:00 o'clock ))
    1) Configured a repeated hourly backup every 2 h
    2) Configured a backup task that runs every 15/30 min
    - Keep the last 96/48 backups of task 2) (1440 minutes -> one day) until .....
    - Keep the last backup of task 1) and the first of 1) so you will most likely have a "near day started" and a "near day ended" backup file (real time).

This routine would be repeated every day so you have a started and ended day backup for lets say 5 days.

It is most likely that you would need this plugin only for "wtf everything is broken"-backups or in case of map corruption.

For specific region restorations or griefing stuff i personally think that everything above this functionality is too much for this little plugin and that there should be another plugin used like BigBrother or LogBlock because restoring specific regions per full backup or per user isn't efficient in my opinion =)

27. Offline

grifOndOr

hmm i update at version 1.8 of the plugin and i doesnt seem to work...

/backup dont do ANYTHING
    and no autobackup are done

wtf ?

28. Offline

Snipes01

This plugin is inactive and hasn't been updated since build 818. It probably doesn't work new build.

29. Offline

grifOndOr

the plugin have been updated by another one....

so , i dont understand why it doesnt work :/

30. Offline

Zaros

Try reading the post above yours.

31. Offline

gamerx93

Hi, Where are you getting the plugin from?
    Are you getting an error message or does it say it loaded successfully?
    We need more details to be able to help you :)

The has been updated by me an lycano, to work with the new build. (1185)

Downloads can be found on dev.bukkit.org: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/backup/