i7-2600 HT @ 3.4 Ghz VERSUS i7-3930K HT @ 3.2 Ghz

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by SupaYoshi, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

SupaYoshi

Hi everyone I am about to upgrade our server due the PVP experience ;) And I can easily afford a Core i7 3930K HT, (hexacore) instead of the quadcore.

However, the i7 2600 is slightly faster in clockspeed, 200 mhz, however I have plugins like orebfuscator that I really need.

Now the benchmarks of the i7 3930K HT are way better then the benchmarks of the i7 2600 of course. However... because the clock speed is lower ;) Does this mean that the performance in Minecraft will be less? COMPARE: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I would really like to upgrade but if the performance is less good... I run a lot of plugins as Orebfuscator that use a second thread, and that goes well.. So would upgrading do the server more BAD then good? or what is your guys opinion?

PLEASE BEFORE REPLY: COMPARE THE PERFORMANCE: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

2. Offline

CRAZYxMUNK3Y

It all depends on how you are going to run the server. (This could be long)...

The i7-3930(K) does have a faster clock speed, but as Bukkit and Minecraft only utilise one ore each, and anything over 3.0GHz is enough, i would say it is pointless unless you are going to be running more than 32GB RAM on it(As 2600 only allows up to 32GB RAM). It does not also have a built in graphics unlike most other CPU's, no a GPU is a must.

The 2600(K), is cheaper, slightly lower clock speed(Which wouldn't really matter), but, as stated above, only allows 32GB RAM, with slower speeds(DDR3-1066/1333), unlike the 3930(K) which also allows 1600.

If you wanted to though, you could go for a i5-2500K, it has virtually the same specs as the 2600, just slightly slower clock speed(3.3GHz), and is only 4 core.

Summary: All those CPU's would run a server fine, it just all depends on the amount of RAM you give your PC, and what else you could/would be doing in the background while it is running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.